News   May 01, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 347     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 360     0 

New $20 bill

Who would you like to see on the Canadian $20 when it is eventually updated ?

• Keep Queen Elizabeth II

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • Pierre Trudeau

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • Other: (specify)

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Total voters
instead of a face, why not something useful or educational?

how about a map?

I'd be okay with the Monarch taken off the $20. especially when Lizzy croaks and we get King Charles.

If we end up going with another Prime Minister to replace QEII, Trudeau is my top choice, followed closely by Pearson. If we can put Borden on the $100 (not a great PM by any means), then why not one of those two.

Then again, I like the idea of a rotation of historical figures, like the UK. Politicans, national heroes, cultural icons, scientists (Banting, Fleming, etc) on the bills as they are re-issued every 10 years or so.

Considering the allocated space on front of the note, I'm not sure that you could fit anything in there which could be considered educational or useful, let alone a map. Whatever or whomever you do place on the note would have to be recognised and respected nationally.

i think a map would be cool. and the mint's printers could get alot of detail on a small surface. imagine they put a map of each capital city of each province & territory, not on the same bill obviously. print different versions at different times.

Prometheus: I seem to recall that at one time you could fold one of our notes to show the Queen's bum.

hopefully when she was younger. ;)

Then again, I like the idea of a rotation of historical figures, like the UK. Politicans, national heroes, cultural icons, scientists (Banting, Fleming, etc) on the bills as they are re-issued every 10 years or so.

terry fox would be good.

I voted to keep the Queen on it. If Charles is king when the bill gets updated, it should be him.

I would like them rotate the image on the bill to give recognition to those that merit recognition (like Terry Fox etc) for actions that they took in life, or people awarded the Victoria Cross etc. Basically, people that we can look up to - no polititians!

I would like them rotate the image on the bill to give recognition to those that merit recognition (like Terry Fox etc) for actions that they took in life, or people awarded the Victoria Cross etc. Basically, people that we can look up to - no polititians!
Hah, imagine what americans will think of us when we put Terry Fox on our dollar bills.

I like the idea, but I think that there are tonnes of politicians that we should be looking up to, notably Lester B. and PET. Maybe Laurier, John A and Diefenbaker. We should have one side showcasing people who built Canada (not just politicians, but others,) and the other side showcasing important Canadian culture. Maybe we could double things up, with 2 cultural pieces on the opposite side, or a country-builder and culture-builder on one side, and cultural phenomenon on the other. Or a scene of cultural significance as a backdrop for an important Canadian icon on one side, with a political leader on the other? :confused:

You're about 38 years late with the Laurier and John A. suggestions.
$5 - Sir Wilfrid Laurier
$10 - Sir John A. Macdonald
Interestingly enough, I was talking about politicians who deserve to be looked up to.

Read this carefully:

cacruden's initial said:
Basically, people that we can look up to - no polititians!

My response said:
I like the idea, but I think that there are tonnes of politicians that we should be looking up to, notably Lester B. and PET. Maybe Laurier, John A and Diefenbaker.

Canada's Currency: A new $20 bill?

ACE and Everyone: I have always found Canada's currency and coins interesting and I dabble a little in collecting when I can.

Canada has done things that the USA has been totally behind in-like producing bills in different colors so one type will not be mistaken for another.
Only in recent years has the USA made changes to the currency instead of having everything produced similar to one another as we all know.

Canada has done things that have turned out over time to be smart moves-
like eliminating the dollar bill twenty or so years ago and the widespread use
of $2 bills(I still can not figure why they are so shunned in the USA)got the
Royal Canadian Mint to produce a $2 coin-I like the "Toonie" design.

The USA made mistakes in their attempts to eliminate the dollar bill-like the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin issued basically in 1979-80 which many people
confused with quarters. Canada learned from the USA's mistakes-that is why I believe that the "Loonie" dollar coin was made the way it was. Even now dollar coins are having problems being accepted in the US-the Sacajewea and recently the Presidential coins are interesting but they are just seen as a novelty by some.

I feel that the USA would have to do what Canada did between 1987-1990 and stop producing the $1 bill at some point and force people to use much longer-lasting dollar coins. With inflation today the $1 bill has become a "dinosaur" of sorts and it is time for a change.

Canada has made interesting changes to their currency since I made my first visit in 1979 and I find the current "Canadian Journey" series quite interesting.
The Bank of Canada's web page has good information on Canada's currency
along with historical information. I found it quite fascinating-look here:
www.bank-banque-canada.ca/en/banknotes/index.html

Getting to the Canada $20 bill I feel that a historical Canadian can be featured-like Pierre Trudeau,John Diefenbaker or perhaps another yet unnamed historical figure can be honored there. As for a detailed map of Canada-that is a GREAT idea and I would be all for it!

Let's see what The Bank of Canada decides on for this great honor.
As mentioned Queen Elizabeth is honored on many of Canada's coins.
A change here would be quite interesting...

Thoughts and opinions by Long Island Mike

Last edited:
Oddly enough, I hate quarters. Why? Because I see one with a new design that I don't have and I have to keep it!
I'd certainly appreciate it if the mint started producing unique designs on other coins. The nickel is a good candidate for that, because of it's size, as well as the loonie and toonie. But if they made loonies and toonies collector's items, I might be inclined to not use them either.
I think the variance in Canadian currency is auite interesting, and I haven't really seen quite the same thing anywhere else. Sure, there are unique coins, but it's not like here where you have a 1/5 chance of getting a poppy quarterm 1/4 chance of getting an olympic quarter and 1/6 chance of getting one of those 98-99 quarters. I have to admit, it makes shopping a lot more fun! :D I'd undoubtedly support the introduction of more of this kind of unique currency. It would probably be harder with bills though, because of all the anti-counterfit measures that go into the designs.

Back