News   Jul 16, 2024
 308     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 498     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 615     2 

Neptis' Review of Metrolinx's Big Move

Both the DRL and the Scarborough subway are at the same early stage of the design process. But guess which project has been funded and will get built first? The SRT was already taken care of under the original LRT plan, so the DRL was top priority until Karen Stintz meddled with it.

"Top priority" my ass.

"Top priority" doesn't mean "cancel everything else"

Neither Scarborough nor the Relief Line have funding. Neither lines have EAs and engineering completed. The fact that Scarborough will be completed first has more to do with the fact that it's a smaller and less complicated project than the Relief Line. Just because the Relief Line is out #1 priority doesn't mean that we have to cancel or delay everything else to do it.

Neither Scarborough nor the Relief Line have funding. Neither lines have EAs and engineering completed. The fact that Scarborough will be completed first has more to do with the fact that it's a smaller and less complicated project than the Relief Line. Just because the Relief Line is out #1 priority doesn't mean that we have to cancel or delay everything else to do it.

How does the Scarborough subway not have funding. Last I checked there was funding from the feds, province, and city for it.

I never said "cancel everything else". The LRT was fully funded and would have started already, but then the plan changed. What should have been left alone has completely stolen everyone's attention from the DRL. The only reason Scarborough will now get subways first is because the SRT will crap out soon, and most importantly it's because of politics.

I never said "cancel everything else". The LRT was fully funded and would have started already, but then the plan changed. What should have been left alone has completely stolen everyone's attention from the DRL. The only reason Scarborough will now get subways first is because the SRT will crap out soon, and most importantly it's because of politics.

and the fact that no politicians wants to throw thousands of Scarborough commuters on shuttle buses for over 5 years which will paralyze the streets of Scarborough in the process

Okay well it doesn't really matter if the Relief Line is our #1 priority or not. Even if the Scarborough Subway didn't exist the Relief Line would still be opening around 2025.

and the fact that no politicians wants to throw thousands of Scarborough commuters on shuttle buses for over 5 years which will paralyze the streets of Scarborough in the process

- What about Glen Murray?
- It's 3 years not 5
- Buses do not paralyze streets, but subway construction certainly does
- Why should a short term inconvenience dictate the design of a project that will last for many decades? I couldn't care less. Does it matter that Yonge street was torn up by cut and cover construction of the Yonge subway 60 years ago?

Last edited:
Hudak's investment strategy:

Wynne's investment strategy:

hot_air.jpg

Wynne's investment strategy:

hot_air.jpg

Oh, since she's pretty much the only provincial politician to openly and consistently support new, dedicated funding I thought it was either this...

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regionalplanning/funding/investment_strategy.aspx

...or this...

http://transitpanel.ca/news/report-making-the-move-to-fund-transit?p=1

But whatever amuses you, politically.

That's exactly correct. TBM won't reduce toad congestion. It will just help to mitigate it as our population grows.

Word. I don't know why people find it hard to wrap their heads around this. All this transit needs to be built just so we can try to tread water in the face of growth. Don't build it and that top picture will be a happy memory - of how we thought we had bad congestion but had no clue, really.

That's exactly correct. TBM won't reduce road congestion. It will just help to mitigate it as our population grows.

That's true, although the idea behind my post was that much of the Big Move may never happen thanks to stupid vote pandering and endless transit debates. If the last few years are any indication, things are not looking good.

Back