News   Jul 02, 2024
 380     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 609     0 

Natural Grass in the Rogers Centre/Possibility of a New Baseball Stadium in Toronto

Argos will share BMO field w/ the MLS soccer team.
Only if the Argos come up with the money to move the stands that are in the way. The pitch at BMO Field is not long enough for a CFL pitch. Or the CFL agrees to play on 105-metre long pitch instead of a 137-metre long pitch. Perhaps by playing on a 100-yard field instead of 110 yards, and shortening the end zones from 20 yards to 10 yards each.

Only if the Argos come up with the money to move the stands that are in the way. The pitch at BMO Field is not long enough for a CFL pitch. Or the CFL agrees to play on 105-metre long pitch instead of a 137-metre long pitch. Perhaps by playing on a 100-yard field instead of 110 yards, and shortening the end zones from 20 yards to 10 yards each.

http://cfldb.ca/stadium-status/toronto/

While it's not a done deal, it looks like that's what is going to happen. The fact the deal has yet to be signed probably means the devil-is-in-the-details agreement on the renovation is taking longer for reasons such as yours.

While it's not a done deal, it looks like that's what is going to happen. The fact the deal has yet to be signed probably means the devil-is-in-the-details agreement on the renovation is taking longer for reasons such as yours.

Despite that link, there hasn't been any talk of the 'Phase 3' renovations to accommodate the CFL for ages.

Oh it will definitely happen, as soon the Argos or CFL cough up the measly $20 million or so to rebuild the north and south stands to fit Canadian football.

... but given the Argo's history of reneging on similar deals, you can understand my unwillingness to believe this is 100% yet.

Oh it will definitely happen, as soon the Argos or CFL cough up the measly $20 million or so to rebuild the north and south stands to fit Canadian football.

... but given the Argo's history of reneging on similar deals, you can understand my unwillingness to believe this is 100% yet.

Totally agree....what is different this time, however, is there a real sense of urgency around the Argo situation. Previous deals were "if we don't do this we can stay at Rogers Centre"......that fall back position has been removed by the owners of RC.

Totally agree....what is different this time, however, is there a real sense of urgency around the Argo situation. Previous deals were "if we don't do this we can stay at Rogers Centre"......that fall back position has been removed by the owners of RC.
I'm not 100% sold that Argos won't continue to play at Rogers.

Part of the talk of them going to BMO Field, is a potential for MLSE to purchase them. But that would put Rogers in an ownership position over the Argos. And then perhaps Rogers position might shift, if they felt it was economically better for them.

Who says you can't play Football once grass is in. There are about 20 soccer games scheduled at Yankee Stadium this year. How is that going down?

Who says you can't play Football once grass is in. There are about 20 soccer games scheduled at Yankee Stadium this year. How is that going down?

American Football is generally considered to be much harsher on grass surfaces than football/soccer is.

Also, current word from Tim Leiweke is that BMO Field renovations are way overbudget. I wonder what kind of wrench that puts into the CFL possibilities.

Jenny Yuen@SunReporterYuen
$10-million overbudget, Leiweke estimates.

Things have been pretty quiet for a while, but I'm betting the Argos will be at BMO Field for 2017. Much to my disappointment.

Last edited:
American Football is generally considered to be much harsher on grass surfaces than football/soccer is.
Oh, certainly. I'm just wondering how Rogers position might shift if they were indeed to find that they now owned half the Argos.

Oh, certainly. I'm just wondering how Rogers position might shift if they were indeed to find that they now owned half the Argos.

Oh, I see what you are saying. I suspect that if they owned half the Argos, that money would talk. They'd probably save a cool $20mill and make it work at the Skydome.

Just to add to the discussion;

Bob Hunter, chief project development officer for Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, says they have a window of about a month if they want to prepare the field for CFL play next year.

I'm encouraged by the talk of spending up to $400M as if it were an inevitability. It's time for Rogers to put serious money into the stadium that they got for a bargain.

The biggest changes can be accomplished by opening up the SkyDome to the exterior. Connecting the game to the city outside of the stadium is the key to making it feel less imposing.

Wherever possible, open up the external walls of the stadium with windows into the concession corridors so that people inside can see sunlight beyond the stands and people outside can see activity inside. Cover up the remaining concrete façade with faux windows to help it reflect the city around it rather than feel like a bomb bunker. Replace the roof's skin with transparent panels to open up a large portion of the stadium to daylight. The parts of the roof that don't open need to be transparent rather than create dark areas that are currently in permanent shadow.

Bringing the seats closer to the game is another measure that'll improve the atmosphere of the game both to those watching it from the seats and to those watching on TV. At the same time, seats should be removed from the upper bowl and converted to patio style seating and beer gardens.

Finally, outside, there is a potential to create a space like Maple Leaf Square but at a much larger scale. Replace all of the ticket booths and stores on the main level with restaurants with patios lining around the entire stadium. Move ticketing online and to self contained digital ticket booths dotted around the square. Allow those restaurants to sell discounted tickets as an attraction to dining in their establishments.

The transparent roof would also allow the Rogers Dome to be able to have a natural grass playing field, since the grass can grow during the off-season.

With natural grass, the Jays can attract star players who would otherwise be intimidated by the prospect of playing home games on artificial turf. Oh, and natural grass would reduce injuries (some of which could affect the chances of making to the playoffs).

Last edited:
Well, they can get around having a transparent roof by simply keeping the roof open during peak sunlight every day. Right now, the entire field is in sunlight with the roof open.

I'd like for it to be transparent to allow for a better sense of connection to the city, specially as more and more tall skyscrapers go up in the area and are viewable from inside.

Opening up the concrete walls to allow more natural light in should is another measure to open up the stadium and lessen its imposing stature.

Back