News   Jul 15, 2024
 552     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 714     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 595     0 

Museum Station

Engineers, for example, wear rings that are meant to remind them of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge disaster so that they plan structures that are safe to use.

Actually engineers wear iron rings to remember the Quebec Bridge that collapsed twice during construction decades before Tacoma Narrows.

(Looks down at own Iron Ring)

Actually actually, the Iron Ring has nothing to do with the Quebec Bridge, and instead symbolizes the moral and ethical obligation that practicing Engineers have to society.

Museum didn't have a distinctive tile design and the colours weren't bad, so I welcome the redesign efforts. It looked out of place on the YUS line. In theory, given the attempts to make each YUS station unique, a BD style tile design would have been somewhat clever if it wasn't the first station south of the BD line. The rendering has a ceiling that looks sophisticated compared with nearby stations, which will be great. The redesigns will also mean that St. Patrick station will no longer be entirely green, which might be a bit poignant if you appreciated the Irish motif.

Though remember that Museum (opened 1963) predated the BD line (opened 1966); in effect, it was more of a dress rehearsal...

Thanks for the correction. Nevertheless, those tiles will disappear from our view soon, and luckily so. The combination of advertisements and sarcophagi might end up randomly creating a postmodern look.

(Looks down at own Iron Ring)

Actually actually, the Iron Ring has nothing to do with the Quebec Bridge, and instead symbolizes the moral and ethical obligation that practicing Engineers have to society.
Was it not inspired by the Quebec bridge collapse? It was finished less than a decade when the ring ritual started.

Was it not inspired by the Quebec bridge collapse? It was finished less than a decade when the ring ritual started.
The iron ring is a bit of both. The ceremonial part is that is it suppose to demonstrate the ethical obligation that practicing Engineers have to society and that's why almost all practicing engineers wear it on the pinky finger of their working hand (and thus the beginning of the engineering hand salute) and be a constant reminder to the Engineer Oath they undertake at the Iron Ring Ceremony. When it was proposed (I'll find the dude's name- it's in a book at home) the big fact he mention was the Quebec Bridge collapse b/c the numerous errors that were taken by the onsite engineer, the second time, that leds to its ultimate collapse (ie. he ignored a direct order from the head offsite engineer to hold all work but kept going). The original iron rings were constructed of metal from the ruins of the two Quebec Bridges (and is still rumoured to happen but is pretty much impossible considering how many have been given out).
There is also a "unity" component that all engineers in Canada have that is suppose to be represented by the ring, but for the most part we ignore that one since the ethical and moral obligations have become the more "mainstream" idea of the ring.

OCAD graduates have a similar secret greeting: we spin ( clockwise ) three times - to disclose our bona fides as right-brainers and all-round party animals.

If I am not mistaken, the ring was not even inspired by the Quebec bridge collapse. It was meant to unify all engineers in Canada, and by coincidence the ritual started around the time of the Quebec bridge collapse.

The original iron rings were constructed of metal from the ruins of the two Quebec Bridges (and is still rumoured to happen but is pretty much impossible considering how many have been given out).

I don't think that that is the case. For one, I seem to recall one of the wardens (or whatever they are called) stating that this is just a rumour. But more importantly, I believe that Iron rings (as opposed to recently forged stainless steel rings) are made of pure iron, whereas the structural members of the bridge should by all accounts be steel. If "iron" rings are made of bridge material, they would actually be steel rings.

It seems that a few of us (me included) have been participants in spreading urban legends about the rings. Go to Wikipedia and search Iron Ring to get the full story.

And now... back to Museum Station. Anyone been there recently and have a progress report?

Some panels have been installed on those brackets this week, but right now they're only on the southbound side at the bottom of the wall. They don't look very exciting as they're dark and matte. The rectangular panels currently in place are installed by the long side running parallel to the platform (so they're not very high on the wall).

Another update- Now there are three or so on the wall of the northbound platform, while the first ones to be installed have some small stains. And it's like they install them in random spots. I would say the progress is slow, but there might be a lot going on behind the boards.

Back