News   Jul 15, 2024
 476     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 585     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Museum Station

My problem is that with so much $$ spent on a station that has hardly any people...

It's prob one of the least busiest stations on the Spadian/University line...

They should have used the $$ to do something with the St. George station instead...

217358896_c0ed96c899.jpg

I'll agree that Chester has indeed a beautiful station entrance. Those big swingie-doors always remind me of the Montreal Metro.

As for Museum, I was initially quite dissapointed when I first learned the TTC was going to tear up all of that beautiful clean modernist tile and replace it with gaudy and tacky history-themed junk - but much to my surprise, it is actually turning out a lot better than I ever anticipated. I especially like the fact that they are using the TTC's signature font throughout the station.

I meant that it the floor appears to be more of a utilitarian choice rather than something specifically chosen for the design of the station. Low maintenance is best, though there are probably more variations that can be done with low maintenance materials these days.
As US and others have stated re the "classic-look" subway, design = utility, and utility = design. It's only when they grew too self-conscious about the "design" part that things started f'ing up...

As US and others have stated re the "classic-look" subway, design = utility, and utility = design. It's only when they grew too self-conscious about the "design" part that things started f'ing up...

There's more to it than that - or else you've just uncovered the reasoning behind structures like Metropolis.

Metropolis isn't utility=design though. There was too much design to make it look utilitarian, ie, the fake fans. That's not good design, and definitely not good utilitarian design.

If the tiles need to be replaced, then why not update all the materials if the money is there? It's a slippery slope I understand before starchitects come in add pointless and downright thoughtless elements. Though I do like Dupont station and its flower. But where's the utility in that?

I'm not stating my own opinion; I'm stating the inherent design philosophy, which follows that linear path from Peter Behrens through Bauhaus through Parkin...

Metropolis isn't utility=design though. There was too much design to make it look utilitarian, ie, the fake fans. That's not good design, and definitely not good utilitarian design.

Metropolis is utilitarian. It's not an example of nice utilitarian design, but it is what it is. The building exists solely as a support structure for advertising, and an envelope for big-box stores. It even uses the advertising as cladding over building infrastructure. Any details it employs are, obviously, the cheapest they could come up with - and used in the most superficial of ways (almost as a disguise against just how basic the rest of the building is).

Which is more like a Jeep? Metropolis or Chester station? Don't let the simplicity and minimalism of the TTC's first stations fool you - there's a ton that made it into the final designs that doesn't reflect utilitarianism; bakelite, glass pavilions in an extreme climate, etc :)

I was quite impressed by it yesterday. It's coming along great. Even though it may seem over the top, once you're in it, you digest it one bit at a time rather than all at once as one viewing a rendering.

I loved the hieroglyphics behind the large MUSEUM lettering. I wonder if they will light up.

I'm still a little concerned about the ceiling though. I'm not sure if they're updating the ceiling as per the rendering. It seems like they're simply painting the concrete ceiling white instead of adding the grey metallic grille which I liked.

I was just in it last week and I still thought it looked ridiculous.

As for Eg to York Mills, I tend to attribute it to the era when square transit engineers started growing out their sideburns and donning leisure-suity garb.

yes. the TTC was run by the scottish presbyterian mafia like the rest of the city.
in the '70's they "loosened up" and god help us all.
it's just taken them longer to figure out what wine goes with what, and what tie goes with what, and what tile goes with what than the rest of the city.
(not that i have anything against presbyterians...as i am one).

What about it looked ridiculous, syn?

Just the general theme. If there's one place some refined elegance would work well, it's at the subway station.

The Egyptian/Whatever motif is fine if it was just toned down. It just looks tacky.

Hopefully the final product turns out better than I expected.

Back