832     3 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 493     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 610     1 

Mtl/TDot Food Fight

ganjavih:

Where do you live in mtl?

I used to live on clark--perfect location imo although now i'm thinking of moving to either outremont (bernard and querbes)or rachel est/marie anne@ christophe-colomb (wilfred laurier park being my absolute fave park in the city and lafontaine next.) That's what i face: nutty French flavours or traditional Jewish+upper class French.

To the Torontonians here who think i'm selling out (i'm not): I plan on maintaining residences in both cities! I happen to get bored really easily--when in mtl i'm craving toronto and when in t-dot i'm thinking of mtl. Weird i know.

Any mention of schwartz's makes me realize just how hungry i am.
Although even poutine+$2 burgers at those old school greek canadian burger and hotdog joints makes me hungry. Don't get me started on the fact even Provigo (loblaws) has a decent chicken sandwich (on a baguette) to go.

At 3AM yes, but Montreal Bagel House comes close enough for me during more usual business hours. And I've been to Fairmount.

True, Montreal Bagel House is pretty darn close... the main differences being the restricted hours and the difficulty in getting a 'fresh out of the oven' bagel unless you're there first thing in the morning.

There was one place in NY that was at least as good as Schwartz's: Second Avenue Deli.

This included a comment praising Druxy's 'as good as any deli you'd find in NYC'.

Wrt smoked meat sandwiches, unfortunately, I never got the chance to try the 2nd Ave Deli. Wrt Druxy's, it's OK... but since nothing I've had in NYC has particularly impressed me, I guess it could be as good as anything there.

I remember reading a positive review of Toronto by a long time New Yorker who really enjoyed the city, claiming it offered everything NYC did (and perhaps more) for far less.

I do think Toronto has a great food scene, no question. One of the things you miss when travelling in other parts of the world is the variety of foods you can get in multicultural cities such as TO. I remember wandering around Rome desperately looking for something other than pizza or pasta.

I don't know San Francisco's scene that well, but the few places I tried were impressive. I sampled some eats from D.C.'s Chinatown... ugh, crapola. New Orleans was good for Cajun food... I don't know if anything else there is any good. I did a lot of research into the best eateries in Boston and was very disappointed in the quality of restaurants there. Except, I do recommend to anyone who's in the area to go to this great Afghani restaurant in Cambridge that's owned by Hamid Karzai's brother, The Helmand. Very impressive, probably better than the Afghani places I've been to in NYC, and surprisingly affordable. NYC is tough to beat just based on sheer size. They really do have everything. I'm more impressed with Montreal considering things per capita. And the thing is, while Toronto has a great food scene, there's nothing I feel deprived of here. On top of that, you have all the unique Montreal things that make it my favourite food city. Wow, I wrote a lot about food today.

Where do you live in mtl?

I'm in Westmount, close to Westmount Park and the NDG border. I was considering moving to somewhere cheaper over the winter, but as the weather improves and I'm able to enjoy the neighbourhood, the patios on Sherbrooke and the park, I thought, screw that, I'm staying here! It's really gorgeous in the summer, a bit too snooty and spic and span but whatever.

Either of the two locations you're considering would be great. I know what you mean about missing the things you don't have. When it's -30 and I'm waiting for a bus that only comes every thirty minutes, I really miss TO.

Appetite for excess

by CHRISTOPHER HUTSUL
May 9, 2007

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...509.wxlbohedonism09/BNStory/lifeFoodWine/home

Joe Dias and five of his friends are gathered around an old electric heater in an uninsulated Kensington Market studio, trying to keep out the cold and waiting for the warmth of the Scotch to kick in.

They're drinking Talisker, a peaty single malt as rugged as a Scottish coastline. It gives off a fire-pit perfume that swirls around the drafty Toronto den where Mr. Dias, a film and TV set dresser, and his friend Gian Hofer, who is currently between jobs, tweak road bikes for fun and relaxation.

They refer to the cluttered studio - which is dressed with yard-sale oil paintings and roadside furniture, and equipped with vintage stereo gear - as "the living room," but it resembles something closer to an urban tree fort.

Mr. Hofer opens a package of nougat. It's a European brand -- hard to find in Canada. He cycled across town to get it, he tells us. Someone points out that the sweet, crispy treat brings out a hint of toffee in the scotch. Or was it nuttiness?

Like the artists, actors and gypsies labelled bohemians in 19th-century France for appearing to embrace a life of poverty, this accidental collective of bike couriers, film workers and odd-jobbers are men of relatively scant means. Yet here they are, indulging in the world's premium offerings.

At some point, the non-rich - artists, students and renters - developed a taste for expensive food and wine, and the bohemian hedonist was born: the bohedonist.

They express no desire to own houses or luxury cars, but can pontificate about fine chocolate, artisanal cheeses and Berkshire pork with a tone of connoisseurship usually reserved for the snobbish - and wealthy.

For her recent 30th birthday, Amber Gertzbein enjoyed high tea at the Windsor Arms before moving on to dinner at the upscale haunt of Toronto's moneyed classes, Scaramouche. But Ms. Gertzbein is no trust-fund baby. She's a secretary at the University of Toronto. She's twice been unemployed in the last five years - but never stopped shopping at boutique grocery stores.

"I would rather pay a few dollars more for pristine produce ... than have to sift through the picked-over, bruised and banged-up bananas at No Frills," says Ms. Gertzbein, who also has a soft spot for pastries from Frangipane on Madison Avenue.

"I currently have a bit of savings, and an RRSP I try to contribute to, but sometimes you just need a chunk of truffle pecorino."

Young people of moderate means are describing themselves as foodies, organizing dinner-party clubs and gossiping about the hottest new restaurants at a time when Canadians are bigger spendthrifts than ever before.

According to a Statistics Canada report, Canadians are saving less, spending more and accruing more debt in the process. They are spending 19 per cent more in full-service restaurants than they did in 2001.

According to a recent poll conducted by the Strategic Counsel for The Globe and Mail, 40 per cent of 18- to 34-year-olds spent between $50 and $99 the last time they had dinner for two. Eleven per cent spent between $100 and $149.

Although the word bohemian originally described an inhabitant of Bohemia, its colloquial usage has come to represent an individual who has chosen an arty, cultured life over one of material gain.

In the mid-Nineties romantic comedy Reality Bites, Ethan Hawke's bohemian character attempts to woo Winona Ryder away from a yuppie antagonist, suggesting all they need is "a couple of smokes, a cup of coffee and a little bit of conversation."

Add a frosty bottle of Veuve Clicquot to that list, and you'd have your bohedonist mantra.

Foie gras is Michelle Holtzkener's culinary weakness. The EMI staffer has been renting a downtown apartment for seven years. She wants to own a place some day, but for now she's content to be at home with her $40 cheese slicer and a chunk of La Sauvagine, a Quebec cheese that she describes as "better than a down payment."

"I love eating," Ms. Holtzkener says. "I love the way good food makes me feel. I love the idea that - when it's prepared properly - food is art."

Ms. Holtzkener and her friends routinely engage in long e-mail strings debating where to make restaurant reservations. During the meal, they snap pictures of the wine bottles for future reference. In the days following, they share their impressions of the experience in more e-mails.

"I know I can't eat like that every day - I can't afford to," Ms. Holtzkener says. "But in the grand scheme of things, dropping $100 on a really fantastic meal once in a while is both justified and dignified."

So how does the bohedonist afford these indulgences?

"Hooray for Visa," says Queen West art scenester Julia Burton. The former director of Park Gallery has recently diverted a considerable chunk of her budget to dining out. The exact amount is "too shameful to say."

"I guess I could be practical and eat pasta and steamed veggies and put all that money in an RRSP, but then somehow life would be less thrilling without the debt and tasty treats," she says. "Food is generally my biggest indulgence."

Scotch aficionado Mr. Dias sees good value in expensive treats. "It is a luxury, absolutely, but unlike some people I know in my age group and income bracket I don't get a lot of, say, name-brand clothing. I wouldn't go out and buy an Armani shirt or a high-end pair of Nike Jordans for $200."

To see value in something as fleeting as a glass of premium whisky may seem impractical - perhaps even un-Canadian - but John Mastroianni, general manager of gourmet grocer Pusateri's in Yorkville, says when it comes to spending money on high-end food and drink, attitudes are changing. He believes we're catching up to our European counterparts.

"There's always been a passion for wine and food in Europe, while we've always seemed to be more materialistic," Mr. Mastroianni says.

"But now we're seeing more food fanatics ... people who enjoy all types of food and are becoming quite versed in these products. When you think back a few years, you didn't have as many people talking about chocolate. Now you've got people spending hours talking about chocolate."

Back in Mr. Dias's bike shop, comments are being etched in the Scotch ledger. The Talisker is well received, but it can't dethrone Johnnie Walker Gold, which continues to reign with a score of 9.5 points out of 10.

Perhaps it will be dethroned at the next tasting byKnappogue Castle, a $65 Irish whisky. To find it, Mr. Dias will have to cycle past his local LCBO in favour of the more amply stocked Summerhill location. It's a long, cold bike ride, but well worth it.

Toronto, Montreal, New York

Having lived in downtown Montreal for about 10 years, I been to just about every deli and bagel shop in that city. I've also spent a lot of time in NYC and have eaten at all the Jewish east side delis. In my humble opinion, Montreal has the best smoked meat/deli sandwiches, Toronto has the best beef knishes and New York has the best pretzels. For some reason, finding a beef knish in NYC or Montreal, is next to impossible. The ones sold in street-side carts are nasty! The ones downstairs in St Lawrence Market are pretty good but you have to go to North York to find more variety. Nathan's famous hotdogs, in NYC, was almost as disappointing as Coney Island was. I was not impressed with either. As for Montreal's famous bagels, you can find them in the St. Lawrence and Kensington Markets and I don't notice any difference than the Montreal originals. Montreal has great chicken poutine, as well as great buffets of every kind, with great prices to match. Montrealers love their buffets!

Can anybody recommend some decent neighbourhoody restaurants in Toronto where you can get really good cooking at a reasonable price in a setting that's neither uber cool, nor disgustingly dirty and run-down? I sense these are sort of 'insider' places, but i'm not an insider so any suggestions would be great.

Personally, if vegetarian cuisine is the name of the game, Montreal loses big time. So does New York, in fact. In that zone, it's more Toronto vs. Vancouver.

Personally, if vegetarian cuisine is the name of the game, Montreal loses big time. So does New York, in fact. In that zone, it's more Toronto vs. Vancouver.

I'd have to agree that Toronto is pretty good in that regard.

Having spent a lot of time in both cities I would guess that there is probably a smaller health conscious demographic in Montreal than Toronto, and certainly Vancouver. Kind of like comparing New Orleans and Seattle. I must say that it's very hard to beat Montreal for good French Bistro.

There are certainly things I prefer about Montreal but overall I generally prefer to live in Toronto. It's easier to stay contented in TO, I found Montreal to be a more maddening and demanding city to live in- kind of like a smaller manhattan with a splash of Paris conceit.

I don't know too much about food but beware the el cheapo fare in Montreal. A piece of vegetarian pizza took out one of my friends and had me exercising my high school french at the hospital at 6:30 am.

We've been busting our guts all weekend long here at the Ministry of Fear, to complete our quota for the Five Year plan before we go to war with Eastasia. Boxes of cold and very salty pizza from some place on Queen East were just delivered - with salad, and fruit. Morale is very low - we've been told that the floggings will continue until it improves - and we swarmed the pizza like hungry dogs.

Last night I went to my local - Hanoi 3 Seasons at Broadview and Gerrard - and had a great meal, as usual. I asked the owner what happened to the 4th season, but couldn't get a satisfactory reply.

My friend Justin came in from MTL on the early train on Saturday morning, and brought with him 6 freshly made bagels from Fairmount Bagel.

I have him well trained.

Back