News   Jul 30, 2024
 348     2 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 535     0 

Mtl/TDot Food Fight

Okay, look. I understand that you're quite convinced of your position, but I'm also quite well-read and well-travelled when it comes to food, and I can tell you that Toronto does have an excellent, creative, and diverse restaurant scene. That doesn't mean that it's the equal of New York or Chicago or, for many cuisines, Montreal.

True, but the tired ol' cliche of Toronto being the ugly clumsy sister to Montreal, Chicago or San Fran etc. is no less boring.

I've always found both cities restaurant scenes to be about equal, although there is a tad more variety in Toronto (if you look for it). One thing I'll definitely side with Montreal on is that their portions tend to be bigger and their prices tend to be smaller. Also, there's a chance you can be seated next Mitsou in Montreal. Oh la la! (It honestly happened to me once!)

This is one of those things that's very difficult to judge unless you've been to many, many restaurants in both cities.

I do agree that cultural stereotypes die hard though. This is kind of like the argument that Montreal is far more stylish and the women more attractive than Toronto...I don't see it at all, but many people still accept it as gospel.

^ Apparently, it doesn't matter how many restaurants you've been to, it only matters if your palette is as sophisticated as Pepr'Jack's.

^ one last time:

"...accompanied yet again with the usual entirely predictable and inaccurate accusations, naturally."

It is simply impossible to present a compelling case re this question without automatically and inevitably prompting precisely this type of knee-jerk, presumptuous and threatened response. One has apparently no choice but to address the issue on a platform of assumed absolute equivalence of value of subjective opinion, which is self-evidently completely ridiculous in almost any case. Are miketoronto's thoughts on architecture equal to babel's or adma's?

This literally just cannot be done - hence, I zip it from now on.

That's enough.

Though I will admit St-Hubert beats Swiss Chalet (barely) and that the smoked meat can't be beat in Montreal. Frankly, I don't eat enough at expensive restaurants to know, but there's good places that I like in both.

Cora's also beats whatever breakfast places we have to offer...but now that Cora's is franchising en masse in Ontario, it's not really a 'Montreal' eatery anymore. St-Hubert blows Swiss Chalet right out of the water.

St. Hubert is much better. It's a shame that the Toronto ones have closed down. I used to go to the one at Avenue and Lawrence.
Cora's is pretty pedestrian, actually, compared to the incredible variety of brunch places we have in Toronto (Swan, Xacutti, Petit Dejeuner, Bonjour Brioche, Boom, etc). I guess for a chain it would be okay but hardly worth seeking out for a special treat.

The only thing for me that stops me from saying that St-Hubert blows Swiss out of the water is that, apart from the unlimited coleslaw, Swiss' sides are better. But St-Hubert certainly has the better chicken.

But the unlimited creamy coleslaw sure makes it up, actually. Ok - St-Hubert is much better. There.

I miss St-Hubert. Used to go to the one on Dundas in Mississauga after the Kennedy Rd one in Brampton closed all those years ago. Been to the Queensway and Avenue Road ones two. The only ones left in Ontario are around Ottawa and in Cornwall, I think now.

One St-Hubert did hold out at Don Mills & Finch for a while, but I think it's gone.

The only thing I can eat at Swiss Chalet now is the chicken wraps...my admittedly unsophisticated palette finds everything else on the menu rather vile.

Whenever I eat Swiss Chalet at night at home for dinner I almost always wake up during the night absolutely dehydrated. And, in the morning I usually have gut-rot. The effect is similar to what I have experienced the couple of times I have ordered from Dangerous Dan's.
I can handle all other types of junk food in the evening if I have a craving but Swiss Chalet really does blow.

Back