News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 843     0 

Moving to Toronto - Costs?

A friend of mine who is on benefits informs me that at certain times of the year he lunches rather well, with tasty and nutritious meals provided for free, at the following charitable locations ( where volunteers do all the serving at tables ):

Mondays Corpus Christi Catholic ( Kingston Road and Queen ).

Tuesdays Bellfair United Church. Also at Woodbine Heights Baptist ( at Sammon ).

Wednesdays Hebrew Institute ( Kenilworth and Queen ).

Thursdays Salvation Army ( Woodbine subway at Cedarvale ).

Fridays Kingston Road United ( at Bingham ).

Another alternative is to use the social services system to the max. I know 2 people who collect 4 different welfare cheques by using different names and addresses. The social services workers are union and don't check on anything. So if Ears has the acting skills, this town is his to enjoy. For as long as he likes.

I lived in Vancouver for $1 per day. I camped out on False Creek (where new Olympic Village is going, and got free meals at local soup kitchens.) Where did I spend my $1? At the huge breakfast place in the basement of the CBC building--best breakfast in Vancity! At the time, I was making around $1400 monthly doing construction labour jobs.

Nice haha.

At least the economy is taking a bit of an upswing... Who knows, it may take less than half a year to find a job!!

Another alternative is to use the social services system to the max. I know 2 people who collect 4 different welfare cheques by using different names and addresses.
That's not using the social services to the max. That's crime pure and simple; if one is going to do that, why not just rob banks ... there's no moral difference.

Pretty pathetic, and yeah, a crime.

Another alternative is to use the social services system to the max. I know 2 people who collect 4 different welfare cheques by using different names and addresses. The social services workers are union and don't check on anything. So if Ears has the acting skills, this town is his to enjoy. For as long as he likes.

Until I find them and carve my tax dollars back out of their gullets. :)

PS: Granted, this would also be a crime, albeit a service to society. I'm taking the moral high ground.

Now I look bad. I wish I could live in TO for less than $1000/mth, but then of course I have a family.
I spend around $520/ month in Melbourne, Australia. That doesn't include take out food and other services, which tends to be more expensive. The most I'd spend outdoor is around $3000 pa at the most and that'd be $770/ month.

That's around five $10 meals per week.

Back