News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 992     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Moving to Toronto - Costs?

True.... though the main thing is I want to spend that time finding a real job, as well as explore the city. Im hoping 5-6k will let me do that..........

Im graduating this year with a degree in sociology, and hope to either get a job in that field or marketing.

Marketing jobs are a lost cause if you need to survive in the city
You will end up with field marketing (sample-slugging on the streets) or internign for free for the majors

You should look into promotions before you attack the marketing field to get a leg-up on experience.

$600/month for housing
$200/month for food (assuming you buy at No Frills/Chinatown/Kensington Market
$30/month (until you get a job, you won't need to use TTC daily; btw, you can either buy tokens--5 for $11.25 is good deal, or sometimes, just drop some coins in the box when it's busy--i often only spend $1/trip.:D) for TTC
($100 gets you used bike+lock+helmet, can use bike from April-early December if biking in the cold is okay with you.)
$25 shared phone/internet

$10x4 once a week entertainment (do you really have to drink? NO.)
$15x4 once a week eating out

Total expenses:

under $1000/month.

Typically, I spend less than $800/month.:D

People really need to learn the above - the real way to get rich. It's not how much money you make...it's how much money you spend!

$600/month for housing
$200/month for food (assuming you buy at No Frills/Chinatown/Kensington Market
$30/month (until you get a job, you won't need to use TTC daily; btw, you can either buy tokens--5 for $11.25 is good deal, or sometimes, just drop some coins in the box when it's busy--i often only spend $1/trip.:D) for TTC
($100 gets you used bike+lock+helmet, can use bike from April-early December if biking in the cold is okay with you.)
$25 shared phone/internet

$10x4 once a week entertainment (do you really have to drink? NO.)
$15x4 once a week eating out

Total expenses:

under $1000/month.

Typically, I spend less than $800/month.:D

Now I look bad. I wish I could live in TO for less than $1000/mth, but then of course I have a family.

$100/month, opera subscription.
$60/month symphony subscription.
$8/month AGO membership.
$8/month ROM membership.
$98/month Metroass.
$350/month food.
$120/month utilities.
$300/month Property Tax.
$500/month Misc. ( petrochemicals for hair, pretty frocks, entertainment, meals out, etc ).

$100/month, opera subscription.
$60/month symphony subscription.
$8/month AGO membership.
$8/month ROM membership.
$98/month Metroass.
$350/month food.
$120/month utilities.
$300/month Property Tax.
$500/month Misc. ( petrochemicals for hair, pretty frocks, entertainment, meals out, etc ).

Getting rush seats for the opera will save you about $8-900/year
Symphony seats can also be had for far less
Go to the AGO every Wednesday evening for free
ROM membership - do you really go more than 4x/year. God I'd be bored.

You could probably, with little alteration, save about $1400/year (or think of it as giving yourself a raise of $2500/year).
The rest - good job! (although the $500 month misc is a bit excessive)

Last edited:
Getting rush seats for the opera will save you about $8-900/year
Symphony seats can also be had for far less
Go to the AGO every Wednesday evening for free
ROM membership - do you really go more than 4x/year. God I'd be bored.

You could probably, with little alteration, save about $1400/year (or think of it as giving yourself a raise of $2500/year).
The rest - good job! (although the $500 month misc is a bit excessive)

Rush seats for the opera aren't available on a regular basis, though - performances in the wonderful new building are often sold out; with a subscription you sit where you want, and get priority when you want to change nights, as I sometimes do. But, yes, I've taken advantage of additional rush seats there with friends and family - and at the Symphony. Memberships to the ROM and the AGO are reasonably priced and don't limit one to only going during their restrictive free times - I go often to both places, sometimes on a whim. Being frugal by nature I can cut out most of the Misc. if I want to ( except the toxic purple hair dye ).

But I doubt if much of this relates to the requirements of the person who started this thread ...

AKS, My August 2009 expenses:

Rent: $400 (actually even less, but I don't wanna say....:))

Food: $200

Misc: (trip to cottage country August 2009: $50)

I walk and bike everywhere from May-October; occasionally use the TTC during the summer months if I'm lazy/on an errand/it's raining.

Do I go out? Yes, but I drink water--I can easily talk to ppl w/o being drunk, unlike 88% of Torontonians.... Otherwise, I drink for free at art openings.:)

wow your rent is really cheap O_O

My costs are way higher

hydro $57.
maintenance $348.
internet $50+tax
phone $5
cellphone $9.5
transportation: walk

I can't keep track of my spending. I somehow seem to spend a few hundred monthly. There's also property tax I'll have to pay later.

I don't think you can live here on the kind of money this guy is talking about. Unless he wants to live in one of the slums like Regent Park or Scarborough.

Back