News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 567     1 

Moving out

sangcho1989

Member Bio
Reaction score
I lived in Victoria BC for the most part of my life but Ive decided to move out from my parent's house... I will be attending University of Toronto in September 2010 and I just want to settle down before school starts. I will be going to Torontop in a couple months. I have a couple questions since this is my first time moving out. I can guess the rent and food in Toronto cause ive read a bunch of forums. Rent is around 600~800 (since Im planning to find a roommate) and food should be around 200 (grocery mostly from chinatown). so thats around 800~1000. any chance I can cut this down? food is prob the cheapest i can get.. but can i get an okay place for less? remember, I will be looking for a roommate to move in with so Im not looking for single bed accomodation.

Also, is it hard to find work in toronto? what kind of jobs are easy to get? Im also hoping to become a bartender but I have no experience whatsoever. Im mostly relying on my hardwork and ability to learn quickly and adapt to new places. Im hoping to work as a barback first cause i heard bartending classes are a scam, and true enough its not a required asset to get into the bartending industry.

my questions are:
1. how easy is it to get (any) job? if so, what jobs?
2. Is it easy to work as a barback in bars?
3. Is it easy to get a job in a bar?
4. I have tutoring experience. Is getting a job in Toronto easy? common? Im korean so i can teach in korean + english.
5. What parts of town is it good to live in?

6. Any tips on moving out... remember, this is my first time... not sure what exactly to expect.

Thanks for everyone reading through this haha

Here's some rents in my building near Yonge & Bloor, which is about 6 blocks from U of T.

Bachelor-$850, 1 Bdrm-$1150, 2 Bdrm-$1350, utilities included. Finding a decent bartending job would probably be a little tough. I think you'd have more luck getting work in one of the many coffee shops in the area or as a waiter in one of the gazzillion restaurants near Yonge & Bloor, most of which are Asian.

Here's some rents in my building near Yonge & Bloor, which is about 6 blocks from U of T.

Bachelor-$850, 1 Bdrm-$1150, 2 Bdrm-$1350, utilities included. Finding a decent bartending job would probably be a little tough. I think you'd have more luck getting work in one of the many coffee shops in the area or as a waiter in one of the gazzillion restaurants near Yonge & Bloor, most of which are Asian.

thanks for the good info!
its good to hear theres a lot of an stores. but im more interested in bartending. It shud be tough, no doubt, but there should be SOME way to get a bartending job.... just want to know where to go. cofee shops sounds good actually. what are the qualifications/prerequisites? Im actually travelling in new Zealand and there seems to be a certificate thats mandatory when it comes to coffee serving... is it just here? or same in canada as well

I believe there's a bartending certificate required now ... I've never heard of one for coffee ... and judging from those who typically serve me, they haven't either :)

Agree with Android that landing a bartending job right off the bat with no past experience will probably prove to be difficult. I believe some sort of certificate or course is required to serve alcohol in Ontario, but I've never done it so I'm not sure. It may be more realistic to start as a busser or similar and work your way up by showing your dedication and work ethic.

Agree with Android that landing a bartending job right off the bat with no past experience will probably prove to be difficult. I believe some sort of certificate or course is required to serve alcohol in Ontario, but I've never done it so I'm not sure. It may be more realistic to start as a busser or similar and work your way up by showing your dedication and work ethic.

Im definately not counting on becoming a bartender as soon as i get to Toronto. rather, i want to start as a barback and move up the ladder. any experience to being a barback? anything at all.

... I believe some sort of certificate or course is required to serve alcohol in Ontario, but I've never done it so I'm not sure. It may be more realistic to start as a busser or similar and work your way up by showing your dedication and work ethic.

I think PG is referring to the "Smart Serve" program which is designed to have servers recognize when people should be cut off, etc. It's getting to be almost "required" for alcohol servers.

If you are OK with restaurant work, the neighbourhood for you would possibly be Little Korea, on Bloor near Bathurst, as was already mentioned. It's a central location, and you might well end up living in the general area as well. It's close to U of T and a wide range of amenities, and there are lots of rental accommodations. Not to unfairly typecast you because of ethnic background, but it might be a comfortable environment in which to start, at least.

aaaaaaahhhhhhh

overall, how hard/easy is it to get a job in toronto?
theres a lot of people, but are there enough jobs to go around?
if i go to toronto, approximately when can i expect a job by? I have 1 month of living expenses saved up... maybe 2. is this enough?
i never knew moving out could be this stressful.

HELP

overall, how hard/easy is it to get a job in toronto?
theres a lot of people, but are there enough jobs to go around?
if i go to toronto, approximately when can i expect a job by? I have 1 month of living expenses saved up... maybe 2. is this enough?
i never knew moving out could be this stressful.

HELP

It's difficult to say how hard it will be to find a job. If you're particular about certain jobs, it might be an issue. However if any job will do temporarily until you find the one you want, then there shouldn't be too many problems. I see a hiring sign up every so often. But for bartendering, you need a certificate. Maybe you could try the club district for work? MLS will have a sports bar, but not sure when they will open.

Back