News   Apr 17, 2024
 303     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Movie Theatres in Toronto - Old and New

Odeon Humber is no more...

1640116959778.png

From link.

The facade of the A&A Auto Clinic at 1202 Woodbine is one of my favourite spots in the whole city. I love the aesthetics of auto shops. In a city that's obsessed with a cheap minimalism it's a relief to get this splash of colour and clutter. I usually only see it when driving by, but I had a rare chance to take some photos on foot the other day. There have been a couple of cases where I've waited to long to get photos of shops and missed out when they end up demolished.

AAauto-01.jpg

Here's an earlier iteration from 2009 streetview. You can't really create something like this from scratch, it has to grow over time.
AAauto-01b.jpg

While I was taking photos, one of the guys from the shop invited me inside to take a look and told me that the building was an old theatre. I only took a couple of photos because people were working and I felt like I was intruding.

AAauto-02.jpg

I couldn't see the ceiling at all because of the lights, but when I got home I could see that some of the ceiling ornamentation was still there.

AAauto-03.jpg

I didn't know it was a theatre and I also didn't know its connection to director Sidney J. Furie, so turns out you can learn something from standing round and taking photos.

AAauto-08.jpg

Here are a couple of additional links.

AAauto-09.jpg

Anyhow, for me, this is as good as it gets.
AAauto-05.jpg

AAauto-04.jpg

AAauto-06.jpg

AAauto-07.jpg

Back