News   Apr 19, 2024
 244     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 596     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.3K     2 

Moss Park / Queen & Sherbourne

Call me insensitive but I think this is the last area in the city that needs more affordable housing. I’m fact, it needs less.

Gentrification is a much maligned but needed force in this part of town. Let’s build some high end condos here and trade added density for affordable units within the buildings.

I suggest the location of new transitional homes in the Rosedale and Summerhill neighbourhoods.

Call me insensitive but I think this is the last area in the city that needs more affordable housing. I’m fact, it needs less.

Gentrification is a much maligned but needed force in this part of town. Let’s build some high end condos here and trade added density for affordable units within the buildings.

I suggest the location of new transitional homes in the Rosedale and Summerhill neighbourhoods.

Forgive me, but which new affordable housing are you discussing? (you didn't quote the post you were referencing)

I should have quoted it. It’s post #309. Specifically the ppt presentation presented by the committee.

In respect of the Moss Park (the park) redevelopment itself, this is tangential.

In respect of the broader community, I think you would find that the site in question, which is currently largely vacant, and entirely decrepit would not be adversely affected by some affordable housing on site.

The idea presented, to my understanding is less about net new social housing than it is about facilitating the redevelopment of Dan Harrison which has not worked out.

Certainly there are those would like to see entirely RGI (rent-geared-to-income) housing on this site.

I'm not a proponent of that.

But I do believe some should be included, in order to allow the very mixed income housing you endorse on the Dan Harrison site.

I think the idea should largely be one of shifting people from shelters and rooming houses to permanent housing on a person for person swap out basis.

Where additional density represents either non-profit or market rental housing.

In respect of the Moss Park (the park) redevelopment itself, this is tangential.

In respect of the broader community, I think you would find that the site in question, which is currently largely vacant, and entirely decrepit would not be adversely affected by some affordable housing on site.

The idea presented, to my understanding is less about net new social housing than it is about facilitating the redevelopment of Dan Harrison which has not worked out.

Certainly there are those would like to see entirely RGI (rent-geared-to-income) housing on this site.

I'm not a proponent of that.

But I do believe some should be included, in order to allow the very mixed income housing you endorse on the Dan Harrison site.

I think the idea should largely be one of shifting people from shelters and rooming houses to permanent housing on a person for person swap out basis.

Where additional density represents either non-profit or market rental housing.
I will certainly support the shifting of people from shelters / rooming houses to permanent housing. I think that would be a positive income. I believe some of that permanent housing should be located in other parts of the city. However, the approach that the well off of Toronto use of "packing" marginalized people into a few blocks and largely ignoring the area and its plights is not the way to go. The times I've walked through the neighbourhood, I've had my partner and a few friends mention their fear.

I'd like to see some of the remaining blocks in Moss Park developed with middle to higher income professionals in mind.

It is amazing how the city has pushed downtown east to become our very own Tenderloin district.

I'm all for what is often referred to as gentrification, though let's be fair here, we're building condos for middleclass and young working adults, these are hardly Toronto's gentry. Every time a condo is completed the local area immediately improved, not from gentry but from normal, sane, non-addicted folks and families just enjoying the parks and local amenities. It's not about forcing out the downtrodden, but more about balancing the demographic so that our parks and sidewalks are active, positive and vibrant places for everyone. If we seemingly can't bring Toronto's poor into middle class areas, then we can bring the middle class into the poorer areas. I fully support it.

It is amazing how the city has pushed downtown east to become our very own Tenderloin district.

I'm all for what is often referred to as gentrification, though let's be fair here, we're building condos for middleclass and young working adults, these are hardly Toronto's gentry. Every time a condo is completed the local area immediately improved, not from gentry but from normal, sane, non-addicted folks and families just enjoying the parks and local amenities. It's not about forcing out the downtrodden, but more about balancing the demographic so that our parks and sidewalks are active, positive and vibrant places for everyone. If we seemingly can't bring Toronto's poor into middle class areas, then we can bring the middle class into the poorer areas. I fully support it.
I actually am for slight displacement. Let's move some folks into Rosedale, Forest Hill and other areas that can share the burden. I see no reason one area of the city should have a markedly higher percentage of folks that need mental health and financial support.

I actually am for slight displacement. Let's move some folks into Rosedale, Forest Hill and other areas that can share the burden. I see no reason one area of the city should have a markedly higher percentage of folks that need mental health and financial support.
Subsidized and supportive housing should be a provincial matter, meaning that the housing and any services its residents need should be available across the province, not primarily in Toronto. If you're from North Bay and are mentally ill, addicted and homeless, there should be a place for your near North Bay, not Bay St.

As for Toronto's downtown east, the only hope is dilution through demographics. It won't seem like most of the mentally ill, addicted and homeless are in downtown east when they're overwhelmed by normies, lattes in hand, pushing their Bugaboos through the park on their way to hot yoga. Give it time, perhaps another five years and the condo wave will take back the streets.

Last edited:
Condos will help this area, but it needs a more detailed and well thought out plan. Look what it took to turn Regent Park around. I hope the City is able to place some attention on this community instead of continuing to ignore it.

Condos will help this area, but it needs a more detailed and well thought out plan. Look what it took to turn Regent Park around. I hope the City is able to place some attention on this community instead of continuing to ignore it.
Agreed. It needs a well thought out and comprehensive plan to transform the neighbourhood top to bottom.

The Kim's Convenience building at 252 Queen St E (a bit east of Sherbourne) is being listed for sale:

kims.JPG

I see the Berkeley Field House/Even Centre redevelopment has kicked in to gear again.
Do we have a project thread on this? The OLT has now approved a 19 story tower for the location directly adjacent to the Church.

1652900825359.png

I see the Berkeley Field House/Even Centre redevelopment has kicked in to gear again.
Do we have a project thread on this?

We do!

Reactions: DSC

Back