News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 883     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 354     0 

More Lost Toronto in colour

The jet is a CF-104 Starfighter. If you look closely at Exibition place you'll see the Windshare turbine and a renovated Direct Energy Centre, as well, the golf course on Spadina was also a recent, albeit short-term, facility until the City Place condos were constructed. My best guess is that this photo was taken in 2003 or 2004.
This aircraft was a NATO standard fighter/intercepter/strike aircraft of the 1960's, it was fast and dangerous for both air and ground crew. To achive the aircrafts top speed of mach 2+ the wings' leading edge was honed to a razor sharp edge and many techs still have scars to show for it.

This was the CF-104's retirement tour wasn't it?

Actually, no, it's a photo montage. I used a shot very much like yours from Hamilton (except from the other side). You'll notice the angle is about the same. :) It just occurred to me one day, hey, shot of Starfighter, hey, shot from CN Tower... so I 'Shopped it. :) I didn't realize any of our 104s were still flying as late as that or I would have said flat out it was a fake... thought it was self-evident but I guess not! Sorry. :)

Erm, but for what it's worth, and if I can offer a consolation prize here, good eyes on the dates. I'm pretty sure I used my Kodak DC4800 to take those shots, and that puts them between about 2001 and 2005. I believe the harbour shot is from 2004, so you guys know your stuff.

Last edited:
It's a pretty good montage, it had me convinced. Using my 20/20 hind sight I'll say that the shadows match-up pretty good on the aircraft and the buildings below, but to make that angle a chase plane would have to be flying through the CN Tower, and I might as well nit-pik and say that the jet blast should be straight out of the exhaust and more distorted.
You should tease us with more photos like this. Perhaps have an obscure aircraft over toronto somewhere and everyone would have to guess what, where and when?

Actually, no, it's a photo montage. I used a shot very much like yours from Hamilton (except from the other side). You'll notice the angle is about the same. :) It just occurred to me one day, hey, shot of Starfighter, hey, shot from CN Tower... so I 'Shopped it. :) I didn't realize any of our 104s were still flying as late as that or I would have said flat out it was a fake... thought it was self-evident but I guess not! Sorry. :)

Erm, but for what it's worth, and if I can offer a consolation prize here, good eyes on the dates. I'm pretty sure I used my Kodak DC4800 to take those shots, and that puts them between about 2001 and 2005. I believe the harbour shot is from 2004, so you guys know your stuff.

It's witchcraft! ;)

BTW, I recall the CF100 Canuck's retirement tour in or about 1981. That thing shrieked. It was like a worn out blender. The engine sounded like it was metal on metal. They did it up in its old RCAF colours which is why I was thinking the way I was.

Great job! :)

Last edited:
A rare picture of Cooke's Church at Queen and Mutual, during its demolition (late 1970's?):

s1465_fl0417_it0027.jpg

St. Paul's Church at Avenue Road and Webster, victim of a "mysterious" fire, with its Gustav Hahn Art Nouveau ceiling:

s1465_fl0417_it0028.jpg

s1465_fl0417_it0030.jpg

Yonge Street in the middle 1970s era...

Early 70's by Bob Whalen:

322783.jpg

TC: Good picture-I am thinking mid 70s here noting the fashions worn by the two attractive ladies and that maroon Camaro or Firebird...

Two things stood out to me about Yonge Street from my visits to Toronto beginning in the Summer of 1979:

First-Yonge Street had no parking and was basically a four lane roadway and secondly the street lighting was placed above the street
on the surrounding buildings to light the "canyon" and with all the other lighting that was around it was always somewhat well lighted...

I have noted in more recent pictures the light poles that have been placed on Yonge Street...Quite a change since the early 90s...
LI MIKE

Back