News   Jul 22, 2024
 607     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 635     0 

More Lost Toronto in colour

Hey, where on Wellesley is this? I can't fig it out for my life! It kinda looks like Church St (East Side) looking South from Isabella.

Anna: "North side, just west of Yonge - looking towards Yonge."

If this is looking East towards Yonge, wouldn't it have to be the South side? ----------- or am I mixed-up too?

Anna: "North side, just west of Yonge - looking towards Yonge."

If this is looking East towards Yonge, wouldn't it have to be the South side? ----------- or am I mixed-up too?

Anna is correct: north side of Wellesley, just east of St. Nicholas, looking east towards Yonge.

1979:

wellesley1979.jpg

Today (post-EFS):

wellesleywest.jpg

Last edited:
Brewster: I noticed this Chevrolet auto-this reminds me of the Chevy 2 or Nova...
Was the "Acadian" a Canadian-only version of the C2 or Nova?

It has been a while since I last looked here-I missed a lot in this Lost Toronto in colour topic... LI MIKE

Mike... as stated, it was Pontiac's version of the ChevyII. Interestingly, the Pontiac name was not on the car. It just said "Acadian" across the hood and trunk lids. The dealers that sold the car had "Acadian" signs, as well as Pontiac signs. Later versions included the "Canso" name. My Grandfather worked at Gorries and then City Buick. He bought the car right before he retired.

Dehavilland Planes over Toronto 1970s

Happy holidays UT! :D

My Grandfather worked at Dehavilland Canada from 1929 to about 1970 (he was their first welder and was later head of the machine shop). These photos are in a book of tear-out prints that I found over the holidays:

6600783491_50c85ed092_b.jpg

6600784621_0ae7c30c55_b.jpg

6600782135_12ab9be393_b.jpg

CF-104Starfighter.jpg

^ It's weird to see the Ontario flag on something so bad-ass.

On the CF-104? That's not Ontario's flag... that's Canada's flag from 1957-1965; the Red Ensign with the red leaves in the shield.

On the CF-104? That's not Ontario's flag... that's Canada's flag from 1957-1965; the Red Ensign with the red leaves in the shield.

This was the CF-104's retirement tour wasn't it? That would explain the Red Ensign / RCAF retro look. This plane was renumbered 104641 when the RCAF disappeared and the Canadian Armed Forces took over in Feb of 1968.

As our last CF-104 was retired in 1987, this would probably be around that time.

More info on this particular plane:

CF-104D Mk. 1
Starfighter
Model 583-04-15

Used by No. 417 Squadron at CFB Cold Lake, Alberta. Later used as instructional airframe 876C from 10 August 1987, also marked 210AC for Aircraft Battle Damage Repair training. In storage at CFD Mountain View, Ontario in February 1995. On pedestal at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton, Ontario from c.2000. On loan to museum, still on CF books.

So hey, we can see this plane in Hamilton. Cool!

db

Cf104_canadian_warplane_heritage_museum_3.jpg

Last edited:
Happy holidays UT! :D

My Grandfather worked at Dehavilland Canada from 1929 to about 1970 (he was their first welder and was later head of the machine shop). These photos are in a book of tear-out prints that I found over the holidays:

6600784621_0ae7c30c55_b.jpg

There is small white boat on the spot where my building is now

It's a great picture for sure. Imagine, parking.. in front of the ferry terminal.

You can still park in front of the ferry terminal. You just have to do it in the above ground garage.

Back