News   Jul 03, 2024
 237     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 773     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 821     2 

More Lost Toronto in colour

Great shot of a fire at All Saints Anglican Church at Bloor Street West and Prince Edward Drive (just west of The Kingsway) The archival citation is:

American LaFrance pumper No. 13 at fire at All Saints Anglican Church [after 1960]

AmericanLaFrancepumperNo13atfireatA.jpg

Great shot of a fire at All Saints Anglican Church at Bloor Street West and Prince Edward Drive (just west of The Kingsway) The archival citation is:

American LaFrance pumper No. 13 at fire at All Saints Anglican Church [after 1960]

AmericanLaFrancepumperNo13atfireatA.jpg

excellent shot! that's a 1965 Mercury Montcalm in the lower left, so the shot is 65 or later...

bf859ec4.jpg

The fire truck has a 1966 commercial licence plate (the expiry, "MAR 67" would be to the right of the crown). That was the only year for this format plate with blue text.

CN Tower Antenna Construction

Hi all ...

Speaking of lost Toronto in color - I captured some footage from my Dad's old Super 8 home movies of the construction of the CN Tower. We went down to sign our names on the final antenna section while we watched the Sikorsky Sky Crane helicopter lifting sections to the tower. The Sikorsky even did a fly-over for the fans. Don't think our names on the antenna survived the weather, before it was encased a few months later. The clip ends with the final section being lifted on - took a try or two, but it fit. BTW, the kid dressed like Kenny from South Park is me.

Enjoy,
Dave

[video=youtube;i-Mw5s7rrwc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-Mw5s7rrwc[/video]

I captured some footage from my Dad's old Super 8 home movies of the construction of the CN Tower. We went down to sign our names on the final antenna section...BTW, the kid dressed like Kenny from South Park is me.

Thanks for the video! If you hadn't said that was you in the video, I'd have sworn it was ME signing the antenna. No doubt most kids in 1975 looked like that.

That's certainly Front St.
In those days Toronto (York) seems to have been centred on the St Lawrence Market area.
There appears to be St. Lawrence Hall and St. James Cathedral in the centre of the painting.
I wonder if the viewpoint is from the top of the Gooderham & Worts Distillery.

Last edited:

Back