News   Jul 10, 2024
 367     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 387     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 584     0 

MLSE & Bon Jovi to Pursue NFL/Buffalo Bills

The Jays play in a big market and have deep pockets in theory. However, they are treated like a small market team with no money.

We're small market because we're in the same division as Boston and NY. Both have payrolls over 200M.

We'd still be considered small market for the NFL too. Again, NY, Bos and Miami in our division.

how could it be blocked if they were moving it internationally? how could a US state block a land purchase in Canada?

Jays are roughly 1/2 down the list of "wealthiest MLB teams".

They don't block the land purchase, they fall back on the contract with proof of us planning to move them, international borders are irrelevant. The intent was there prior to the 2020 deadline, and I believe the fine's a billion dollars.

ETA - the most I think we could do is get plans for a stadium made up prior to that 2020 date. The plans could be for it to be in Eerie county, or Downsview.

Personally, I think they'd move early (2020 or 2021 season), and put up with the dome for X years until the stadium was built. Buffalo fans would boycott once it was official they were moving.

Last edited:
We're small market because we're in the same division as Boston and NY. Both have payrolls over 200M.

We'd still be considered small market for the NFL too. Again, NY, Bos and Miami in our division.

How does the payroll that the owners have decided to expend define the size of the market? Toronto is the biggest single team market in MLB. They just happen to be in the bottom half of MLB in terms of attendance.....the market is "big", the response and payroll not so much.

How does the payroll that the owners have decided to expend define the size of the market? Toronto is the biggest single team market in MLB. They just happen to be in the bottom half of MLB in terms of attendance.....the market is "big", the response and payroll not so much.

Easy. We're Toronto. Unless you have a Toronto Maple Laffs logo, we're a fickle fairweather fan base.

The jays set MLB attendance records when we were winning - sky dome helped. Once we crashed, fans evaporated. raptors have ebbed and flowed as well. The Red Sox and Yankees are the US versions of the Leafs - hell Boston almost went a century without a World Series and they still sold out.

Per capita, they both have more die hard fans. Meaning they can afford their payrolls.

This is the biggest slight for us getting the Bills. Unless it's played on ice, we only show up when the teams winning. But this is also LA's issue. They already lost NFL teams at least twice.

Easy. We're Toronto. Unless you have a Toronto Maple Laffs logo, we're a fickle fairweather fan base.

The jays set MLB attendance records when we were winning - sky dome helped. Once we crashed, fans evaporated. raptors have ebbed and flowed as well. The Red Sox and Yankees are the US versions of the Leafs - hell Boston almost went a century without a World Series and they still sold out.

Per capita, they both have more die hard fans. Meaning they can afford their payrolls.

This is the biggest slight for us getting the Bills. Unless it's played on ice, we only show up when the teams winning. But this is also LA's issue. They already lost NFL teams at least twice.

All that might be true....but that does not make us a small market....perhaps somewhere in the 21st century the terms bad/poor/weak market have become synonyms for small market?

All that might be true....but that does not make us a small market....perhaps somewhere in the 21st century the terms bad/poor/weak market have become synonyms for small market?

Fine, we're a large market by pop, but measured by fan base potential we're small market. We're only enticing because of the potential. Bring a good team here, we'll show up, bring us crap, it's a ghost town.

Put another way, we're large market for genreric prime time TV, but when it come to potential sports fans we're small market. Just look at the Expos, another large market and a team that didn't survive. Canada is hockey number one, and everything else is nuthin.

What is the blackout zone you refer to?
1000px-Canadian_MLB_blackout_area.svg.png

Blue: Jays; Green: Shared with Mariners; Dark Red: Shared with Twins; Red: Shared with Red Sox; the Jays' blackout zone covers all of Canada

1000px-MLB_Blackout_Areas.png

what does the blackout mean though....guess I should have phrased that better.

There is no TV blackout (which is what blackout makes me think of) the Jays seldom sell out and every game they play is on TV and even out of market games are on TV too.

what does the blackout mean though....guess I should have phrased that better.

There is no TV blackout (which is what blackout makes me think of) the Jays seldom sell out and every game they play is on TV and even out of market games are on TV too.
It means that you can only watch out-of-market games live online for one (and a few other restrictions).

I believe the blackouts are in reference to MLB.tv

Back