News   Jul 08, 2024
 390     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 634     0 

miWay Transit

For marketing reasons, all 200 series routes now no longer have the "Express" moniker (big mistake). Aren't the 200 series routes limited stop, pre-rapid transit as well? Of course they are. So this change doesn't make sense.

Also poor implementation/design of the 107. They could have taken rerouted the 7 out of the airport and eliminated the 18 and 22. But they instead decided there needs to be two routes servicing the Airport (poorly) and 3 routes connecting CCTT-Malton, and made the 107 rush hour only and not service Humber College. Both Brampton and Toronto have proper all day express transit service to all terminals of the airport while Mississauga only has one slow route serving on terminal of the airport all day even though it is located in Mississauga. Sad. If serving a LINK station is good enough, then the 7 doesn't need to service Terminal 1 (and only Terminal 1) directly and 107 should be a 24/7 service.

There is also a redesigned system map:
http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/WeekdayMap_Mar2010.pdf

For marketing reasons, all 200 series routes now no longer have the "Express" moniker (big mistake). Aren't the 200 series routes limited stop, pre-rapid transit as well? Of course they are. So this change doesn't make sense.

Also poor implementation/design of the 107. They could have taken rerouted the 7 out of the airport and eliminated the 18 and 22. But they instead decided there needs to be two routes servicing the Airport (poorly) and 3 routes connecting CCTT-Malton, and made the 107 rush hour only and not service Humber College. Both Brampton and Toronto have proper all day express transit service to all terminals of the airport while Mississauga only has one slow route serving on terminal of the airport all day even though it is located in Mississauga. Sad. If serving a LINK station is good enough, then the 7 doesn't need to service Terminal 1 (and only Terminal 1) directly and 107 should be a 24/7 service.
There is also a redesigned system map:
http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/WeekdayMap_Mar2010.pdf

Express is a word staff doesn't understands.

Taking a few stops out and maintain the runtime is not express.

Express is to run at posted speed limited and do none, 1 stop or a few stop going from point A to Z.

MT has express buses that must follow certain local buses so they meet at a connection point.

It becomes the slow boat to China for riders to the point they may have to sit at a stop up to 5 minutes to kill time.

I have no problem with the routing of 107 north of Eglinton other a few missing stops.
Looked at 107 today for the first time and see problems already.

No Stop at Dixon Rd to connect to TTC. Metro to far away.

No Stop at Cawthra considering there is going to be one for the BRT. Would help to build ridership up now.

Why not have the buses run the opposite direction using Rathburn while the other direction use the 403 based on the time of day? IE pm westbound as plan, but eastbound use 403 since traffic is going the other way in the first place.

Better leave the bus on Eglinton since this will be the route come 2013 or are they planning on keeping the 107 off the BRT ROW per today routing??

Put 107 Stops where the BRT stops are going to be on Eglinton considering the stops are already there now.

This 15-16 should be 15 period so riders will know what the face clock time is per hour.

Would not be surprise to see other stops added down the road.

See no problem going north of Eglinton for the route as it out of heavy traffic flow. Connecting to the Link is fine and you will love the roller-coaster ride on it.

Rest of the service changes are saying we are doing something, but not sure what.

MT/CITY is a Joke for no real fast service to the airport from Sq One as Well Meadowvalle. I have been calling for 15 minutes service for over 5 years already and max 30 to Westwood 7 days a week.

7 catches a large number of riders as it comes out of the airport on Dixon Rd and need to think how to take it to Viscount stop to connect with 107 and Link. Where do you take it off Airport Rd???

Will try to find time the first week in April to tryout the 107 and 101 to see how it operates as well the ridership.

I see 872 has the new toys working.

As I was getting on along the route I heard a voice say Burnhamthorpe and Subway in a male voice. Since the driver was not talking that the bus must have the stop announcement working.

Sat down and look for the screen. I spot it over the right window front window. It was giving the date and time.

In the male voice it gave out the next stop as well the connecting street IE: Next stop Confederation Dr and Burnhamthorpe Rd. Same announcement was posted to the screen.

When Someone wanted off and rang the bell, "Stop Requested for X" was made and was display the same way.

There is a 2nd one in the rear haft for the D60LF.

NOTE ADDED:
Short video of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB_M1YlZhf0

Last edited:

The 202 should be on the new express routes map, as now it looks like there's a huge gap between CCTT and Port Credit that lacks any rapid transit. I also don't understand why most of MT's express services abruptly end at 7:00 PM and at only 20 minute intervals when it does run. It should at least be extended to 9 o'clock and operate every 10 minutes as not everyone's shift ends during evening rush hours.

Sauga Transit, losing its consistency...

I think MT tries too hard emulating GO Transit's schedules but it FAILS. A 62 Cooksville Shuttle that suppose to arrive earlier than 7:35 am doesn't really come that close (often 3 to 5 minutes later than scheduled) when the morning GO Milton train departs the station at 7:35. Having MT express buses run like GO-style schedules, it often misses connection with other MT buses.

I also hate the bus route number schemes MT is coming up with. 100-series and 200-series are already heard, but what about 19? I thought all major arterial bus routes suppose to be designated within first 10 numbers. Shouldn't it change back to 2 since that route number was originally assigned since MT was established? Same for 26; switch back to #6 and have Erindale bus #26 instead. And there's still 82 and 89, all whose alias "Express" routes are all but gone.

I think MT tries too hard emulating GO Transit's schedules but it FAILS. A 62 Cooksville Shuttle that suppose to arrive earlier than 7:35 am doesn't really come that close (often 3 to 5 minutes later than scheduled) when the morning GO Milton train departs the station at 7:35. Having MT express buses run like GO-style schedules, it often misses connection with other MT buses.

I also hate the bus route number schemes MT is coming up with. 100-series and 200-series are already heard, but what about 19? I thought all major arterial bus routes suppose to be designated within first 10 numbers. Shouldn't it change back to 2 since that route number was originally assigned since MT was established? Same for 26; switch back to #6 and have Erindale bus #26 instead. And there's still 82 and 89, all whose alias "Express" routes are all but gone.

I knew Hurontario used to be 2. I didn't know Burnhamthorpe used to be 6 though. That would make more sense!

Burnhamthorpe was 6, though only between Islington and veered south into Credit Woodlands. 26 as a through route came about when the bridges were opened over the Credit River and Burnhampthorpe became one road. Why they didn't stick with 6, who knows?

19 was the name of the Hurontario North route, and for a very short while in the early 1980s, went as far north as Downtown Brampton. The BT 2 Main used Mill Street and McMurchy (later the 1B, then 52). The 1B Queen used to use Main Street, though it had a limited schedule while the 19 ran north of Steeles. BT switched the 1B and 2 around 1990.

An aside, BT had a very strange route structure in the late 1970s/early 1980s, which were based on the old Town of Brampton PUC's radial bus system out of downtown and Chinguacousy Township's system based out of BCC - route numbers like 3 (once 3A Mill/3B Peel Village, now McLaughlin, replacing the 1A extension to Sheridan College) 4 (Glendale, now Chinguacousy), 5 (Linkdale, now Bovaird), 6 (Archdekin, later Snelgrove, then Mackay, now unused) took years to be recycled.

MT 2 went from Square One to Clarkson via Hurontario and Lakeshore, route 23 came later after MT took over the TTC's 74 Port Credit in 1976, and decided to do a through run on Lakeshore.

So yes, the original Town of Mississauga/Mississauga Transit routes were as follows:
1 Dundas
2 Hurontario/Clarkson
3 Bloor
4 Sherway
5 Dixie
6 Burnhamthorpe
7 Airport/Malton
8 Cawthra/Clarkson
9 Meadowvale
10 Streetsville

If you think about Mississauga's growth history, the numbers make sense, 1 through 6 (and 8) served the oldest subdivisions, 7 connected Malton with central Mississauga Town, 9 and 10 connected Streetsville and the oldest parts of Meadowvale with central Mississauga.
All the numbers in the 10s and low 20s also fit - they are all based on routes that serve the older parts. After that, the numbers do start to get weird.

A lot of the routes in my area are in the 30s...38 Creditview, 34 Eglinton, 35 Eglinton. Then there's the 10 and the 27 and 89. They're all over the place lol. But it probably is a time for renumbering the routes?

Slightly off topic maybe but if anyone happens to be in the Central library there is a glass display case on the third floor, near the door to the Canadian history room where they are displaying an old bus pass (among other items) that once belonged to Mary Fix, the former reeve of Toronto Township in the 60's.

There's no date on it and it has the orange diamond sunglasses logo and "Mary Fix" written in the name box in ink.

But the most amusing thing about is that it's about 6" x 8", or something similar, definitely larger than a postcard. Apparently not only were the cars bigger back then but so were the bus passes.

If I'm back there again soon I'll try to remember to take a camera...

A lot of the routes in my area are in the 30s...38 Creditview, 34 Eglinton, 35 Eglinton. Then there's the 10 and the 27 and 89. They're all over the place lol. But it probably is a time for renumbering the routes?

I think the route number are consistant enough. It is a large system hard to coordinate. There's 38 and 39 as you point out. And 61-68 north of Square One. 33, 34, 35 around Erin Mills TC. I think if routes overlap and the numbers look too similar it might cause confusion.

I like that MT kept the historic numbers of the routes and didn't try to renumber everything as it expanded and so justlooking at the numbers tells a little something about history of MT and of the growth pattern of Mississauga overall.

Here's something really neat: the TTC actually tried to coordinate bus route numbers in the early 1960s, when they were introduced on all bus routes.

Odd numbers were north-south, even numbers east-west (just like the US Route and Interstate system), and numbers were close to (but not exact) alphabetical order of route names:

1 Armour Heights*
3 Ashbridge*
5 Avenue Road
7 Bathurst
9 Bellamy
11 Bayview
13 Berry Rd*
17 Birchmount
89 Weston
91 Woodbine
93 Woodbridge*
95 York Mills (maybe because it went north-south between Glen Echo and York Mills Rd, this was strange)
97 Yonge
END

2 Anglesey*
4 Annette
8 Broadview
84 Sheppard
86 Scarborough
88 South Leaside
90 Vaughan (diagonal)
94 Wellesley
96 Wilson
END

It worked for a while until new routes began using old numbers (3 became Ancaster Park, at least being consistent) and route changes.

I'm curious about the recently launched 14 - Lorne Park. Same for 15 - Derry Industrial and 12 - Malton. Does this have any historical relevance to MT's route structure?

It's crazy now what we have here, feels like replicated version of TTC bus system.

On top of that, any new service announcements?

What do you mean it "feels like replicated version of TTC bus system"?

The original route 14 was a route that serviced Indian Road the same way the 14 does now, except it also connect Sheridan Mall and Square One. Route 12 is an old route, probably not changed much. Route 15 is a new route that follows the old routing of the 4. So prior to the 15, the 42 did not serve Derry east of Dixie. I'm not sure the historical significance of the number 15 though. I tried to find info or even old maps online to no avail. People upload old TTC maps but no one cares about MT.

Latest changes here: http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/InTransit_03MAY2010.pdf

The clockwise and counterwise versions of 16 Malton Loop have been split into 16 and 16A and they now operate concurrently during rush hour, so rush hour service is much better. It is good idea to split into 16/A, but the same should be done for other routes with alternate routings: 3, 7, 8, 10, 23, 39, 42, 45, 53... MT should be more consistent.

The Sunday versions of the 3 and 45 should be renamed 3A and 45B.
Rush hour version of the 7 should be 7A, and Sunday version should be 7B.
Rush hour versions of the 8, 10, 39 and 53 should be 8A, 10A, 39A and 53A.
The saturday and Sunday versions of the 42 should be changed to 42A and 42B respectively.

Burnhamthorpe was 6, though only between Islington and veered south into Credit Woodlands. 26 as a through route came about when the bridges were opened over the Credit River and Burnhampthorpe became one road. Why they didn't stick with 6, who knows?

19 was the name of the Hurontario North route, and for a very short while in the early 1980s, went as far north as Downtown Brampton. The BT 2 Main used Mill Street and McMurchy (later the 1B, then 52). The 1B Queen used to use Main Street, though it had a limited schedule while the 19 ran north of Steeles. BT switched the 1B and 2 around 1990.

An aside, BT had a very strange route structure in the late 1970s/early 1980s, which were based on the old Town of Brampton PUC's radial bus system out of downtown and Chinguacousy Township's system based out of BCC - route numbers like 3 (once 3A Mill/3B Peel Village, now McLaughlin, replacing the 1A extension to Sheridan College) 4 (Glendale, now Chinguacousy), 5 (Linkdale, now Bovaird), 6 (Archdekin, later Snelgrove, then Mackay, now unused) took years to be recycled.

MT 2 went from Square One to Clarkson via Hurontario and Lakeshore, route 23 came later after MT took over the TTC's 74 Port Credit in 1976, and decided to do a through run on Lakeshore.

So yes, the original Town of Mississauga/Mississauga Transit routes were as follows:
1 Dundas
2 Hurontario/Clarkson
3 Bloor
4 Sherway
5 Dixie
6 Burnhamthorpe
7 Airport/Malton
8 Cawthra/Clarkson
9 Meadowvale
10 Streetsville

If you think about Mississauga's growth history, the numbers make sense, 1 through 6 (and 8) served the oldest subdivisions, 7 connected Malton with central Mississauga Town, 9 and 10 connected Streetsville and the oldest parts of Meadowvale with central Mississauga.
All the numbers in the 10s and low 20s also fit - they are all based on routes that serve the older parts. After that, the numbers do start to get weird.

I was born, and raised in Brampton, and the current 8 Centre bus used to be split into 2 routes: 6 Centre, and 8 Rutherford.

New service improvements for the off-peak coming to Mississauga Transit:
http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/InTransit_28JUN2010.pdf

7 Airport will see Sunday frequency increase to 35 minutes. The 7's Sunday only service to Woodbine Mall became redundant when the route 11 Sunday frequency was increased to 35 minutes a few years ago. So the frequency of service between Westwood and Woodbine has been 17-18 minutes all this time, which is slightly excessive for Sunday.

11 Westwood and 61 Mavis will see their weekday midday frequency increase to 23 minutes and 18 minutes respectively, in addition to the 18 minute service both already have in the early evening. The rest of the 905 can only dream of having so many streets with 23 minute or better frequency during the off-peak like Mississauga does.

The seasonal truncation of the 101 at Vega sucks though. For the rest of the summer, the 101 will be like a TTC route, arbitrarily ending at the boundary. Lame.

Back