294     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 700     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 667     0 

Mississauga snaps!

D

Darkstar416

As promised in Brampton Snaps, simply Dan and I then headed straight down Main St / Hurontario St / Hwy 10 to Mississauga City Centre...

From Square One's parking lot, a view of City Hall, The Living Arts Centre and the twin towers of Mississauga -- Daniel's "Capital" project. My general feeling was that they (the twin towers) detract a bit from City Hall, but aren't as bad in person as I had feared.
DSCN0267.jpg

Still one of the finest PoMo's in the world...Mississauga City Hall.
DSCN0268.jpg

The fabulous City Gate development. Great podium, great design, great colour. Missisauga got this one perfect.
DSCN0269.jpg

It's been said before, but I'm perpetually confused about the placement of the Living Art's Centre. While not a horrible building by any means, it totally destroys any framing of the street that had been started with City Hall and the Mississauga Central Library.
DSCN0270.jpg

Looking up at City Hall from the sculpture-less Sculpture Court.
DSCN0271.jpg

There really is something fascistic about this building, especially with those little balconies for the dictator to rally her masses. :p
DSCN0272.jpg

For reasons that weren't signed, the public skating rink was closed and not a single soul was to be seen in the public square at 3:00pm on a Saturday afternoon.
DSCN0273.jpg

Another City Hall shot.
DSCN0274.jpg

Easily the best of the triumvirate of public buildings, the fantastic Mississauga Central Library...but try finding the front door!
DSCN0275.jpg

Another shot of the library. We walked around the three most obvious sides of the building before we were able to find the front door (which actually faces a blank wall of the YMCA).
DSCN0276.jpg

Yet another shot of the library. Honestly, a very impressive building from the outside. It's a bit jumbled and underwhelming inside though.
DSCN0282.jpg

This is what the front door of the Central Library faces! Many of these buildings seem to have been designed in isolation without taking into account the larger context of the "City Centre" precinct. I'd imagine trying to rectify this plays a large part in the current discussion.
DSCN0283.jpg

City Gate in full with Tridel's craptastic wall of ugliness next door.
DSCN0277.jpg

One of the Daniel's Capital towers.
DSCN0278.jpg

Where the Queen hangs-out whilst in Mississauga (and no, I don't mean me!)
DSCN0279.jpg

One of the Capital's podiums. Basically, could be better, could be worse.
DSCN0280.jpg

Perhaps one of the prime reasons why the public square is empty. It's raised and is mostly blocked by this silly wall.
DSCN0281.jpg

Some urban townhomes which -- I think -- are part of the Daniel's development.
DSCN0284.jpg

More Daniel's.
DSCN0285.jpg

One final view of the always impressive City Hall.
DSCN0286.jpg

We then spent about 10 minutes in Square One and quickly decided it was enough Peel Region for one day! Toronto...ho!

by the title of this thread, i thought hazel went postal or something. :p

nice shots.

Nice to see some of the more noteable Mississauga structures up close.

thanks for sharing these pics. Mississauga looks progressive. I like the architecture on most of those buildings. Especially the City Gate, that building looks really nice. It looks about as tall as this one in Rotterdam, which also happens to be Holland's second largest tower (I like the colours on the City Gate building better though).

thanks for sharing these pics. Mississauga looks progressive.

Just wait till you see it in person ;)

Nice set of pics. Citygate is fantastic...easily the best towers in Mississauga and I think one of the nicest projects anywhere in the GTA recently. They'd look great downtown...or as part of CityPlace.

Looks like we are both attracted by Mississauga City Hall in our MCC photo tours. Despite its location, the City Hall is in my opinion one of the most aesthetically pleasing buildings in the entire GTA.

I think the Capital towers complement City Hall quite well. The buildings share almost the same colours for the cladding, and both designs are simplified versions of the classical style.

I know that this has been said so many times already but....where, oh where, are the people????? All this development and not a single person in any of the pics! It looks like a ghost town.

I know that this has been said so many times already but....where, oh where, are the people?????

It really annoys me when people make comments like that. There's clearly pedestrian activity in this photo.

DSCN0285hg.jpg

Darkstar went to Mississauga? Oh my, what's this world coming to?

"ganjavih: How long did you spend searching for Waldo?"

Since the pedestrian has pink pants, I think he found Wendy, not Waldo.

You never know, maybe Waldo picked up those fashionable pants over at Square One.

I know that this has been said so many times already but....where, oh where, are the people?????

The building is still under construction as a matter of fact the sidewalks in front of building haven't even been built yet.

Nobody lives in the buildings yet and the ground floor retail space remain empty, of course there isn't going to be walking around.

For a fair assesment, wait until June when people move in and the retail space opens.

Louroz

Back