News   Jul 15, 2024
 193     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 358     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Mississauga (non-mall) Retail

I noticed when I was going past Price Chopper today on the bus at Hurontario & King, that it was closed, and all repainted. I've never even heard of Fresh Co.

Also, "Freshco" is the pretend Tesco where the residents of Weatherfield buy their groceries.

coronation-street_profiles.jpg

Ha ha. But I saw the store at Dixie and Dundas closed for renovations, and the new sign going up, and wondered how different this will really be from Price Chopper. I guess I could go and see tomorrow morning, grand opening at 8 am., according to the brochure in today's mail. The tag line is "fresher, cheaper". They are promising over 100 varieties of cheese, and "better cuts" of meat. But I don't think it's being positioned as an "upscale" store, more of a new take on your basic discount store.

Four locations in Miss. and four in Brampton are converting.

I really loved going to Sobey's in New Brunswick and Charlottetown. The groceries are actually fresh, good selection and are reasonably priced. Loved the store interior as well...
Here on the other hand, it's just an overpriced competitor of Metro... No match against Loblaws and Highland Farms (actually, scratch off HF in Mississauga). I actually miss old Dominion. :(

Dominion was far better. Ever since it changed to Metro, the customer service has gone downhill, and the selection is less.

I think this is going to just simply be a "prettier" Price Chopper. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

It's good to see the new LCBO outlet adjacent to the Erin Mills Town Centre. This area still has too much vacant land. The higher-density commercial and residential development which had been hoped for in this "node" has been pretty slow in coming.

Meanwhile ... in other supermarket news, the food store in the plaza at Cawthra and Dundas, which had been vacant for a while, now has Lantao Farm Market. There is a full-page ad in the Mississauga News. The store is clearly targeting an Asian market especially. I have not been in, but it's obviously nicer to see than a vacant store. They should get some spill-over from the nearby Chinese retail centre on Dundas.

Nice to see Erin Mills TC get something decent. The LCBO, Indigo and new CIBC should help bring business into suffering Erin Mills Town Centre. Or maybe not since they're freestanding.

The Food basics at Hurontario and Eglinton is closing on March 24th. One of the cashiers told me that "Ocean Supermarket" will take its place.

Food Basics closed in late March. Three months later, the new "Ocean" store is still not open. They do have a new sign on the store front, but there is little sign of any activity taking place.

Food Basics closed in late March. Three months later, the new "Ocean" store is still not open. They do have a new sign on the store front, but there is little sign of any activity taking place.

The curse of Hurontario?

After the Kelsey's at Hurontario and Bristol closed, a sign went up that announced the opening of a new Japanese restaurant. As of last week, it had been about 4 or 5 months and still no signs of life.

Meanwhile, the plaza that was built a block south at Hurontario and Glenn Hawthorne has only had one tenant since it opened over a year ago. There has been a sign on the door of another unit announcing some place that will serve pizza and ice cream but it never materialized and most of the plaza remains empty.

Back