News   Oct 11, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Oct 11, 2024
 3.2K     2 
News   Oct 11, 2024
 714     0 

Mississauga EX: Culture and Metroplolis

"greater mississauga area" is a phrase that Future Mayor coined (see post 15), I would hope with tongue firmly in cheek.....:rolleyes:

Is that a bid to rename Peel Region?

(Though on historical grounds, Peel would be better off termed a Greater *Brampton* Region...)

^ The history of the area goes back to the Mississauga Indians, who were earlier than Brampton :)

I also have not known Hazel to put down other communities, although she was admittedly quite vocal, a couple of years ago, about Miss. separating from Peel Region. I think that idea has now died.

Thank god FM just wants to be mayor of Mississauga rather than something important like, say, CEO of an energy company.

I also have not known Hazel to put down other communities, although she was admittedly quite vocal, a couple of years ago, about Miss. separating from Peel Region.

It is strange that other (much smaller) cities separated from the regional governments as well, like Windsor and London, but when Hazel wants the same thing, and in a much more awkwardly-structured region, it is seen as contempt and hate.

Essex and Middlesex were never regional governments--at least, not in the 60s/70s sense. If Windsor + London are guilty of anything, it's of opting out of more recent mega-amalgamation shenanigans; but they're still technically (if not necessarily politically) part of their respective counties...

Adma's correct. Cities in non-regional counties are historically separate, except for school boards, administrative service areas and judical districts. Though often the county seat will be in a non-member city! Middlesex's offices are in London, Peterborough County's office in Peterborough!

Woodstock, which was separate from Oxford County is now part of Oxford County, because the OC is actually now an RM.

Hi there, yyzer

You wrote:

Muse, your rant sounds like bullsh*t to me....I have never known Hazel to put down any other community....

That, yyer, is because you don't attend Mississauga functions and Council meetings. And it isn't just a one-time thing, yyzer, it's a fairly steady stream of direct or implied put-downs.

There is nothing wrong with city pride --or even a city inflating its status through clever P.R. But this MISSISSAUGA UBER ALLES, yyer --maybe it's because I have all these video clips...

This Mississauga Uber Alles. This Mississauga "Best City in the World" (I kid you not) is --seems to me, pathological.

Tell you what, yyzer. I'll show you in video. But you must give me time because there are more pressing issues right now.

My best to you,
The Mississauga Muse

Corner of Hurontario and Eglinton

Hey there, Observer Walt

You wrote:

Louroz, the land at the northwest corner of Hurontario and Eglinton was recently sold to Pinnacle International...

The site area is 36 acres, large enough to do something pretty significant. Unfortunately the Esso station on the corner wasn't included, so it may be staying, or on the other hand maybe they can cut a separate deal to buy it.

Hokey Smoke! That was the topic of a long long debate at last Wednesday's Council meeting! And The Corporation's Legal Department --well, let's just say I enjoyed it.

And yes, got the whole corner of Hurontario and Eglinton thing on video.

Signed,
The Mississauga Muse

For clarification

Hi again, yyzer

Going back to your original comment:

Muse, your rant sounds like bullsh*t to me....I have never known Hazel to put down any other community....

Your mention of "bullsh*t" reminds me. Mississauga's Communications Department won three awards for their "2006 Successes" communiques.

When you see the what's got to be close to three dozen people in Communications going up for their awards and you know there's only ONE PERSON in the City of Mississauga's Freedom of Information Department, you might better understand why you've never known Mississauga to put down any other community.

Just a reminder, yyzer. I didn't mean to imply that Mayor McCallion dumps on (disrespects) other community governments.

Regarding "Moving Forward" --a clarification

Hey there, doady

Regarding Mississauga, you asked:

Do they really bash other cities in the "Moving Forward" stuff? I don't remember this.

Oh my NO.

Just a reminder, I wrote:

the Mississauga slogan, "Moving Forward" should really be:

"Conceit and Contempt for All Things Non-Mississauga"

I was just saying their slogan, "Moving Forward" should really be...

You are correct, there is a document called "Moving Forward" but no, oh my --certainly not in there.

Signed,
The Mississauga Muse

MISSISSAUGA --Centre of the Universe

Hi there, syn

You wrote:

City pride in general isn't a bad thing though.

Indeed. It's a good thing because it builds a strong sense of community. But just like National Pride, it's pure poison if a City or Nation sees itself Above All Others. That is:

UBER ALLES.

You wrote:

It just seems like a far fetched (and unnecessary) attempt to make Mississauga seem more important than it really is.

Again, observing Mississauga governance as I have, I've concluded that this "pride" isn't so much motivated
"to make Mississauga seem more important than it really is."

but rather likely self-glorification and ego-stroking of those In-Power. I'm not sure though, still very much at the observation and data collection stage.

Signed,
The Mississauga Muse

"greater mississauga area"

Hi again, yyzer

"greater mississauga area" is a phrase that Future Mayor coined (see post 15), I would hope with tongue firmly in cheek.....

I've met FutureMayor and he's a cutie. Not only that but he gives me hope for the future of Mississauga.

On the minus side, I'm just not sure if he can withstand being inside The Big Yellow for any length of time and not be --be Indoctrinated and increasingly spout MISSISSAUGASPEAK.

You see I'm certain that what triggered my "rant" as you correctly called it, was seeing "Greater Mississauga Area" and knowing that FutureMayor could tongue-in-cheek mention it to someone at The Big Yellow and their SpinMeister Department will run with it.

Signed,
The Mississauga Muse

Separation from Peel Region

Hey there, Observer Walt

I also have not known Hazel to put down other communities, although she was admittedly quite vocal, a couple of years ago, about Miss. separating from Peel Region. I think that idea has now died.

I'm not all that sure the idea has died, Observer.

Please see this short videoclip where Mayor McCallion states, "I will continue to fight to get out of Regional Government" and then someone asks if there's anything citizens can do and she says,

"Yes, there's a provincial election..."

Hazel McCallion's OUT OF PEEL Vow

Back