News   Jul 09, 2024
 804     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 614     0 

Mississauga Celebration Square Redevelopment (CS&P Architects) COMPLETE

There's a hell of a lot more there than there was 15 years ago. I hate how people expect instant downtowns.

Give it another 30 and you may have a downtown. I will always see a core/centre, but not a downtown based what is on the books.

Sq One is your killer these days, as well poor planning on the city side.

Give it another 30 and you may have a downtown. I will always see a core/centre, but not a downtown based what is on the books.

Sq One is your killer these days, as well poor planning on the city side.

I fear you may be right. But Square One just ain't going anywhere. It would be like tearing down the Eaton Centre.

I fear you may be right. But Square One just ain't going anywhere. It would be like tearing down the Eaton Centre.

I agree, their only hope would be to put parking underground or more parking structures, and develop the surface lots surrounding the mall. Places like the Playdium would also be troublesome as the batting cages/go cart track takes up a lot of space.

Also, when they build towers, they really need podiums with retail to liven up the streets, instead of now where they put podiums with townhouses, or just rows of townhouses surrounding everything. It will make it so the buildings are really spaced out, and there will be very little street life.

I'm not even sure what it means to have a downtown exactly ? Is there a set definition ?

Maybe it's best to compare it to other projects. Downtown Markham isn't exactly fair as MCC has had a core area for much longer but either way I think there will be some interesting parallels to draw here in 20 years. Markham won't be as dense overall and so far has a lot less destinations (i.e. mall / stadium / large performing art center) but they have plans for many squares / parks, huge amount of retail. So maybe overall it'll feel more vibrant, it'll be interesting to see.

Anyway I think great things can happen in the long term here. My point about density =>(not) implying pedestrian activity / vibrancy still stands (for the 3rd time now :) ) but again having said that I believe the right things are happening here to ensure vibrancy is the end result.

True. As it stands today, MCC is like a mirage: from a distance it really looks like something but, the closer you get, the more you realize that there's actually nothing there.

"Nothing there" implies low density.

I agree, their only hope would be to put parking underground or more parking structures, and develop the surface lots surrounding the mall. Places like the Playdium would also be troublesome as the batting cages/go cart track takes up a lot of space.

The key is transit and more residents living within MCC to reduce the demand for parking. Most of newer office buildings have underground parking garages are already and they still need surface parking lots.

Oh, and lots of surface parking lots = low density.

Square One is a major issue, since it's the hollow core of MCC. Its concentration of retail also reduces incentives to create a downtown-style main street of Hurontario or Burnhamthorpe. Most high-density projects along these streets seem to have either ignored retail or feature token single spaces. Yet with all the density under construction and planned, and all of Square One's surface parking lots, change is possible over the next decades. The benchmark suburban downtown right now is North York Centre, which along Yonge is starting to feel like a slice of downtown Toronto with its high density, retail, public institutions and spaces, and entertainment options.

If you are driving in Mississauga to Sq One on Canada Day, Good Luck as most the roads to Sq One is close off from the west.

You will need transit, since the area has been setup for transit in the first place for this day. Sadly, not the quality of service as well lack of service to the city as a whole.

Until you cut the parking in haft and start banning people bring 2-4 cars to their new 1 parking spot unit, you are adding to the gridlock and greenhouse gas.

I live 10 minutes from Sq One by bus or a 25 minute walk, but you will not find me doing much walking there since there is nothing to see in the first place. While walking to Sq One or around it, you well find missing sidewalks, drivers running stops sign, speeding 20-40km over the limit. You take your life in yours hands these days while walking.

I just spent Thursday in Toronto since it was a nice day as well taking the day off by shooting 400 photos and walking miles, since there was something new to see in that next block or street. I would say I walked 5 miles easy. I also had a meeting at 7pm.

I don't like the townhouse been built. There no life on the street after the mall close, let along while its open.

^^Hence my earlier remark. I grew up in Mississauga in the 1980s. At the time I considered MCC to be a desolate wasteland. Now, in 2011, I revisit Hwy 10 and Burnhamthorpe. I find that there are now many more tall buildings. And yet, the essential character of the place has not changed. At all. It's like they have the ghost of Le Corbusier on retainer in the planning department.

^ From a pedestrian traffic perspective that will change when Absolute 4/5 opens along with the retail portion of the complex; it will be a big tourist draw. IMO - the intersection has certainly changed with the addition of the of these two outstanding buildings along with people's exceptions of what comes next i.e. across the street - a lot of potential...in time...

20110701054.jpg

20110701045.jpg

DRUM118 - the only missing sidewalks I can see is on the east side of Wal-Mart next to the shipping entrance and along City Centre Drive just after the Bay's parking garage. The sidewalk situation has vastly improved over the past few months. With the revamped square MCC is coming to life especially after the mall closes, I'm been there too many times to think otherwise.

from today
20110701086.jpg

20110701091.jpg

20110701095.jpg

20110701094.jpg

20110701034.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great!

This is the first year that I actually stayed "at home" for Canada Day and obviously I cannot judge from the previous years, but damn, there was a TON of people out tonight for the concerts and fireworks. For the first time in my (almost) 14 years in Mississauga, it felt like the city had a heartbeat.

the fireworks display last night was definitely impressive! - went on intensely for over 20 minutes, and I would say they rivaled those at Ashbridges Bay or Canada's Wonderland .... Bravo Mississauga!

Made my way to Celebration Square for fireworks last night around 10pm. Completely PACKED. What was the capacity of the square? 40? 50? It was full and the screens and SOUND especially (no echo and I don't think the sound from the shows can be heard very loudly in the surrounding buildings and streets ... a positive?) were fantastic. Fireworks were great too.

It was awesome :).

Back