News   Jul 22, 2024
 179     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 288     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     0 

Mission Mississauga:"Grow a Lively Downtown"

Call me a pessimist, but I don't have a lot of faith in this initiative. If the city is so concerned about placemaking and creating livable space, why do they continue to follow hopeless single-use zoning policies and allow developers to build the same old car-oriented neighbourhoods?

I think it's pretty clear that the transportation department still dominates Mississauga's urban planning, given the penchant for wide arterial roads designed solely for the purposing of making driving easier and faster. Heaven forbid there be any distractions on the main street that would actually make somone want to use them!

Bizorky: You are absolutely right. I have lived in Mississauga since the mid 70s except for two years in the early 80s. Back in those days Miss. slavishly imitated every other suburban area. Sprawl was the name of the game and little real planning was done.

To name just one example: in the 70s, a transit line was planned to run along the north side of Burnhamthorpe Road, and a strip of land, many miles long, was set aside for the purpose. You can still see it today. However, what type of development was then approved adjacent to Burnhamthorpe? Single family houses on lots of 40 ft. or more, on curving crescents, which would never support higher-capacity transit. In those days this was the pattern almost without exception outside the City Centre area. The City Centre had its own set of problems.

Miss. is now thinking of itself as a self-contained city, a real change of mentality from earlier days. There is a will to reverse some bad decisions from the past. You have to give credit to Hazel, and others, who have sensed the change.

In the meantime, Future Mayor points out a number of places that have real appeal. Check out the waterfront, especially through Port Credit. There aren't many spots anywhere in the GTA which are more attractive!

We went to a little dinner last week with maybe 30 architects and city-types, some mississauga people, Glenn Murray and etc, where PPS and Fred Kent gave a presentation of what they do. It was good, of course. Though at the end he did say "your city hall square, on a scale of 1 to 100, it's a zero"....so I gave an impassioned speech defending it as our most sacred of civic spaces, and that it works, having had wonderful moments there, and in the course of doing [murmur] people have told me their intimate NPS moments. I said "maybe you wandered through at an off moment". Certainly they weren't here to study NPS, so it was an off the cuff remark, but there was such a rumble in the room when he said that -- and nice to see people viscerally attached to a public space.

There might be a lesson there, that no matter how awful a public space is people can make something of it and become attached to it. The zero out a hundred remark, was probably an exaggeration, it could have been a parking lot or garbage dump. Perhaps he is looking at it from a, if we could design a public space today, NPS would rate a zero. Even in this context the skating rink (while almost a cliche) would add a couple of marks. Because the skating rink has decades of use and memories it would probably receive even more marks in the minds of residents.

When one compares NPS with other successful squares (especially older ones not built over parking garages) it is easy to see how one would have an aversion to it. While NPS is ugly and cut off from surroundings (Bay, Queen) it does have some life and so we we are not starting from a blank slate or zero.
My first impressions on coming from NYC, was amazement that they had built off ramps and viaducts for elevated highway access roads in front of city hall. Although I never took to NPS, I like the fact that our city hall is open to the public unlike NYC under Gulliani and even Bloomberg. If I had grown up here I probably would feel more emotional about NPS, but I dislike expanses of concrete that serve no purpose most of the time.
--empty concrete tangent-- Isn't it interesting that the empty sidewalks on Spadina in cityplace are so much wider than the full sidewalks on Spadina in Chinatown. The lack of retail along Spadina (cityplace) is an indication that they don't expect those sidewalks to fill up anytime soon.
On Yonge south of GO tracks the new skyscrapers must be 20-30 feet back from the street.

We went to a little dinner last week with maybe 30 architects and city-types, some mississauga people, Glenn Murray and etc, where PPS and Fred Kent gave a presentation of what they do. It was good, of course. Though at the end he did say "your city hall square, on a scale of 1 to 100, it's a zero"....so I gave an impassioned speech defending it as our most sacred of civic spaces, and that it works, having had wonderful moments there, and in the course of doing [murmur] people have told me their intimate NPS moments. I said "maybe you wandered through at an off moment". Certainly they weren't here to study NPS, so it was an off the cuff remark, but there was such a rumble in the room when he said that -- and nice to see people viscerally attached to a public space.

Zero?! That's a pretty harsh judgement!

Well, there's always been a kneejerk "anti-modern" whiff about enterprises like PPS--that is, it's comfort food for those who, like John Geiger, view 50s/60s modernism the same way David Frum views 70s pop culture...

...speaking of which, Shawn, were you the youngest, or at least the youngest-esque, one in the group? I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of "enlightened" PPS types now find themselves inadvertently poised at the wrong end of a generation/cultural gap; that is, facing a younger demo which is actually more open-minded and sanguine toward "flawed" modernism than their elders.

And in the same light, I can imagine PPS becoming a cornerstone for Conservative urban policy...

Actually, Adma, we were invited because they wanted "younger" people at this gathering. So I commented on the way there that we're old by rock and roll standards, but young in architect/urban planning circles.

I think that's it though -- many of "us" grew up with places like NPS, and like it or not, they are the spaces that seem like home. Similarly there is a growing feeling around that the suburbs aren't so bad. We don't want more, but the stuff that is there, made "us", so they can't have been that bad, esp. those ones built in the 20 years after the war, before it got out of hand. I think it's that moment, when the suburbs were still utopic, that makes a place like Bendale so neat. It's interesting, this shift.

On its best days, NPS isn't a spectacular-looking space, let alone in February when the trees and flowers are gone and the lawns are patchy and muddy. "Zero" is a bit harsh but you can understand him being underwhelmed.

So I commented on the way there that we're old by rock and roll standards, but young in architect/urban planning circles.

...compounded by the particular kind of architect/urban planning circles PPS represents. I mean, the principles may be good, but the way they go about it, it reminds me of the kinds of people who adore John and despise Yoko.

And again, if the Conservatives wanted to pursue an "urban strategy", PPS principles would be right up their strategic alley, I reckon...

Indeed. Yoko was the best thing that happened to the Beattles.

She introduced John (and the others) to people like John Cage and other avant garde types. There'd be no White Album's and the like without her.

And they would have broken up anyway.

Though realistically speaking (and sales, airplay, cultural ubiquity proves it), Yoko in and of herself remains an acquired-taste-at-best harder sell than John. And no amount of force-feeding will overcome that fact. "Imagine" vs "Fly". "Starting Over" vs "Walking On Thin Ice". "Popular" art vs "gallery" art, etc etc.

Perhaps the deeper point ought to be that while Yoko and her ilk aren't everybody's direct cup of tea, relatively few are vehemently, pathologically against her at a level beyond the kinds of late-night comedy yoks (which even Yoko-heads can chuckle at, perhaps because they're just as much at the expense of Yoko-haters as Yoko-lovers.) To most, she's accepted as John Lennon's partner and muse and influence; and as an artistic creator, she's as benign as Christo at this point. She's "trickled down" sufficiently, to the point where those who brand her an unpalatable fringe quack are "fringier" (in the Toronto Sun-esque tyranny-of-the-majority sense) than she is. (Doesn't mean she's unworthy of a yet-broader meta-cultural critique--y'know, picking on the middlebrowness rather than the fringiness of Yoko-worship at this point--but by its nature, such meta-critiquing conveniently cancels out its own absolutism, so Yoko still escapes the philistine's axe.)

Now, back to urbanism--and keep in mind that even a lot of architecture+planning's luminaries are prone to keeping a measured distance from PPS-to-the-letter (though the cynic might claim it's because they, themselves, are the target of such critiques). PPS may be great at offering guidelines for public space; but as judges of pre-existing urban space and form, they can fall victim to their own pathologically inflexible absolutism. Take, f'rinstance, their Public Space Enemy #1, Boston City Hall Plaza. Is it so pure a "horror" and "failure"--and how much of that, in the end, is more a failure of programming and (this being AmeriKKKa)sociology, than of raw design? Is it such an unmitigated horror to those who've grown up with it (*knowing* how it was an award-winner, etc etc in its time) to the point of benign familiarity and even creative reverence? They say, "It conveys nothing in the way of information about Boston, its history, or its sense of place"--but duh, after four decades, it's *already* part of that, part of the elaborate Boston mosaic, and I'll betcha to a *real* (rather than PPS's preferred) "silent urban-conscious majority" accepted (or potentially acceptable) as such. Not that it can't use fine-tuning; but certainly not a demolish-everything-and-start-over boondoggle, which (lest we forget) is how this was all notoriously created in the first place (and more recently, the Big Dig's reminded Bostonians on how costly it can all be).

So, in extremis, it's Yoko-bashing, or maybe (esp. re the "urban renewal" element) like knocking hip-hop as a debased musical genre which lacks melody and what have you. Hip-hop is to music, as Boston City Hall Plaza is to urbanism--hey, if *someone* wants to frame things in that way, go ahead.

On that count, I'm a little worried as to the implications for Mississauga City Hall and its plaza--that is, w/PPS calling the shots, it may be facing a "tear down the NPS walkways" philistinism in the face...

Uh, yeah.

I am no fan of Yoko but don't hate her (by "vehemently pathologically" I assume you mean hating, or want to harm her).

I had no idea that there were "Yoko-heads." Then again, my species never fails to amaze me.

How has she "trickled down?" I have a literal image in mind; I assume it's not what you mean.

Personally speaking, I think she's fringe and something of a quack. Lovely thing about art, the role of subjectivity, n'stuff. I guess that makes me fringe (sort of). But if not, that's still okay.

"Meta-cultural" critique + "fringe" assertions + urbanist allusions - methodology of said meta-cultural-critique = an opinion of like/dislike of Yoko.

Funny, but impression of what is urbanism was never about having to take it all simply because it's there. In so many ways, cities are living entities, and inhabited by beings who share and dispute contested meanings. In short, I am urban, but do not need to be a fan of Yoko, hip-hop or Boston City Hall Plaza. Given the moment, to me one is irrelevant, the other is noise, and another can be redeveloped. To mix them all up won't result in anything palatable, even when well-baked.

Yoko and Mississauga in the same thread. Who'd ever have thought it possible?

Back