News   Jul 12, 2024
 900     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 806     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 334     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Fancy goods. A term which covered a whole lot of things in the 1860s. There were 25 merchants in fancy goods in Mitchell's Directory (1864). Some of them went into quite a bit of detail as to what they sold in the bigger alphabetical directory, but just now I couldn't find an interesting one to quote from, darn it. From memory, they were a sort of offshoot of the dry goods trade and dealt in trimmings, sewing supplies like needles, threads and scissors, etc. Some of them mentioned selling straw bonnets and hats. One was also a barber, another a bookseller. Many of the address were in St Lawrence Arcade and on the east side of Yonge, north of Queen.
Most dry goods merchants in Toronto were Scots and this was also true of fancy goods sellers. A term known in England was "Scottish pedlar"--a Scotsman who travelled from town to town with a pack on his back selling dressmaking necessities and the like from door to door--a travelling "fancy goods" salesman. Even into the 20th century the big dry goods firms in the vicinity of St Lawrence Market employed Scottish pedlars who had found their way across to Toronto--my grandfather was a commercial traveller with Gordon and McKay for 25 years after he arrived in 1903.

NomoreaTorontonian, I wonder if your grandfather's name appears in any of the records kept here:

http://www.trentu.ca/admin/library/archives/80-010.htm

Gordon McKay had a substantial warehouse that stood at the NW corner of Front and Bay. There is a splendid picture at the online Toronto Archives showing a newspaper seller and a woman on a bicycle that crosses wonderfully over into street documentary photography with all the usual businesses of the day in the background. It begs a Then and Now except that some major sidewalk renovation has been going on for several months..

Let's not forget that the Bank of British North America also produced one of the finest buildings in Georgian Toronto at the NE corner of Yonge and Wellington, designed by John Howard and built in 1845:

f1498_it0003.jpg

Bank_of_British_North_America_1867_Toronto.jpg

And here's the Victorian replacement which, while much admired today, doesn't have quite the same elegance as far as I'm concerned:

This is Yonge looking north, just south of Wellington. (CORRECTED) - date unknown.

KingtowardsYonge.jpg

NomoreaTorontonian, I wonder if your grandfather's name appears in any of the records kept here:

http://www.trentu.ca/admin/library/archives/80-010.htm

Gordon McKay had a substantial warehouse that stood at the NW corner of Front and Bay. There is a splendid picture at the online Toronto Archives showing a newspaper seller and a woman on a bicycle that crosses wonderfully over into street documentary photography with all the usual businesses of the day in the background. It begs a Then and Now except that some major sidewalk renovation has been going on for several months..

Grampa might be deep in those fonds, but most of them are of a later date. He certainly would not have been on the 1907 hockey team.

Working back from the 1861 census, John Gordon was only 20 when they founded the partnership and Donald McKay was 30. Viewing the census, I was amazed just how young some of those merchants were.

There is a theory that it can only last so many generations. I think that is set to 3. As well, families like that inject money into some business schools to help continue the legacy. Desperate measures. As it stands, the Rogers are losing their grip on the "professional" front of their businesses, and maintain control through overall % ownership from the holding companies.

JT's and BeeRich's discussion of the Rogers family's long record of business success and the decisions and alliances behind the scenes remind me of how some succeed (Rogers, Thomson, Billeses) and some fail (Eatons). Being a Chosen Son, or Daughter, as the case may be, is no guarantee of business acumen or at least the ability to take the advice of ones hired professional managers.

By the way, the two Rod McQueen books on the Eatons and Martha Billes are highly recommended reading.

A stage coach stop on Kingston Rd.

TNHalfwayHouse.jpg

The old building was replaced by a new Post Office which recently was converted to a "fitness centre."

KingstonRdatMidland.jpg

A mural is today's reminder of the historic site.

mural.jpg

Am I mistaken, but is the present porch detail less frilly and "Victorian" than the original? (If so, sounds like early 1960s restorationist biases)

TNHalfwayHouse.jpg

The old building was replaced by a new Post Office which recently was converted to a "fitness centre."

KingstonRdatMidland.jpg

mural.jpg

You are very good at this Goldie. I just put up the Then and Now photo's without any knowledge of the history. Keep it going.

Yes adma, the restoration is certainly not identical.

And Thank you, brewster. I enjoy the exercise.

TNHalfwayHouse.jpg

KingstonRdatMidland.jpg

mural.jpg

I remember when they moved it in 1962, when we were living around the corner on Garrick Road. It was 1962? I was five years old, fergawdsake, and I still remember it. The post office is a 1960s government building of mostly uninterrupted brick walls and was about a thousand steps down in style from the building it replaced, but it seems to have held up well.

I remember when they moved it in 1962, when we were living around the corner on Garrick Road. It was 1962? I was five years old, fergawdsake, and I still remember it. The post office is a 1960s government building of mostly uninterrupted brick walls and was about a thousand steps down in style from the building it replaced, but it seems to have held up well.

I believe the old structure was dismantled for the move in 1962, but the finished restoration at Pioneer Village has been dated as 1965.
- see attached plaque from the mural

Attachments

• mural plaque.jpg
    mural plaque.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 238
Hello everyone. I thought I would throw my Then and Now pictures into a new thread. No rhyme or reason here and I also thought I'd do some obscure locations.

I'll add to this thread as I casually peruse the Toronto Archives picture image resources and run errands around Toronto accompanied by my trusty Fuji F20 camera.

Ford Street, north from Davenport.
Then.
fo1231_f1231_it0508.jpg

Now.
IMG_0025.jpg

Dundas and Gooch
Then.
ser71_s0071_it2754.jpg

Now.
IMG_0024.jpg

Given that the first photos on this thread are Davenport and Ford, and Dundas and Gooch, here are some very early maps of Davenport and vicinity (from Canda's Public Archives), one from around 1800 when it had the name New Road as well as illustrations of very early buildings on Dundas.

http://www.pinet.on.ca/peeldiglib/Page.asp?PageID=3795

http://www.pinet.on.ca/peeldiglib/Page.asp?PageID=3913

http://www.pinet.on.ca/peeldiglib/Page.asp?PageID=3949

Tavern and Toll Booth on Dundas

http://www.pinet.on.ca/peeldiglib/Page.asp?PageID=3863

The post office is a 1960s government building of mostly uninterrupted brick walls and was about a thousand steps down in style from the building it replaced, but it seems to have held up well.

By the looks of things, it seems more 70s than 60s (brickwork that insistently orange can come from no other era)

A bit off topic.... Even though I'm 30, when I see the mishmash of huge electrical posts with 5 branches making a mess of the sky in the old pictures I get a twinge of nostalgia. I think that despite the messiness, it's got its own beauty and the clean look of today is a bit too... antiseptic? Sterile? My feelings are related to that phrase "Bless this mess".

Anyhow, I frequently walk down Spadina in the Forest Hill area of TO (One of the most beautiful stretches of road in the city, IMO), and what do I see all along the road?

Spadina.jpg

Not quite the mess of the old days but I got a pang of satisfaction.

A bit off topic.... Even though I'm 30, when I see the mishmash of huge electrical posts with 5 branches making a mess of the sky in the old pictures I get a twinge of nostalgia. I think that despite the messiness, it's got its own beauty and the clean look of today is a bit too... antiseptic? Sterile? My feelings are related to that phrase "Bless this mess".

Anyhow, I frequently walk down Spadina in the Forest Hill area of TO (One of the most beautiful stretches of road in the city, IMO), and what do I see all along the road?

Not quite the mess of the old days but I got a pang of satisfaction.

Here's one for you, moe:

20080220202807Confederation_Life_Bldg_1890.jpg

Back