277     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

'Nows' from yesterday evening.

CSC_0364.jpg

Love the midway! Such great colours.
Looking forward to my annual trek.
Your wonderful night-time results make me want to stay late.

During the 50's/60s/70's a "Ball Pitch" or an other "Game of Skill" was promoted by a Barker with the continued yell of "DOGGY! DOGGY! DOGGY!" during all of the morning, all of the afternoon, and all of the evening, during the entire CNE
That lasted into the 80's as well.

That lasted into the 80's as well.

man, does that throw the mind back.
you could stand in one spot on the midway and hear
dawgy? , daaaawgy?. who want's a daaawwwgy?"
"buffalo?, buffalo?
and then
"heeeere comes your pony"...
never seemed to stop.
darn! now i want an ice cream waffle sandwich.

Broadview & Danforth - Gas Station

I feel I must question the location of that gas station.
What evidence is there that it was on the NW corner?
The reproduction refers only to "Broadview and Danforth Ave."
I wonder if there is another photo of that corner in c.1919.

While it's not 1919, the view attached is from the spring of 1962 looking west across Broadview & Danforth. Part of the station building is obscured by the streetcar but the ESSO sign is visible. This corner was cleared the following year for subway construction.

First time attaching photos, I hope it's come through okay.

Attachments

• 4066 1962 04 00 broadview & danforth unknown small.jpg
    4066 1962 04 00 broadview & danforth unknown small.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 270
While it's not 1919, the view attached is from the spring of 1962 looking west across Broadview & Danforth. Part of the station building is obscured by the streetcar but the ESSO sign is visible. This corner was cleared the following year for subway construction.

OK, I'm convinced. Photos never lie! (LOL)
Thanks for your fine research efforts, AlbertHWagstaff.
And I must apologize to Mustapha for causing him any concern.
I thought I knew that intersection well, but the Esso station must have been erased from my memory.

OK, I'm convinced. Photos never lie! (LOL)
Thanks for your fine research efforts, AlbertHWagstaff.
And I must apologize to Mustapha for causing him any concern.
I thought I knew that intersection well, but the Esso station must have been erased from my memory.

AlbertHWagstaff's photo exhibits some stunning kind of colour. I didn't know that intersection was so interesting.

August 22 Then and Now.

Then. c1916. Queen and John. SE corner. Picture sourced by wwwebster. The former 'Methodist Book Room' [old time nomenclature for a church publisher - which evolved down through the years into the present McGraw-Hill Ryerson Press]. Everyone still knows this as the City News Building - it's owned by CTV now. It's visually noteworthy for its terracotta clad sides as opposed to the much more common and usual brick and quarried dressed stone for this 1913 era beauty. Terracotta could be moulded into whatever whimsical taste appealed or pocketbook allowed - a walkaround of the outside delights the eye. The sound of keyboards tapping out 'terracotta' in Google will soon follow this post - I'll let y'all do your own research. 'Breakfast Television' broadcast from this location up until a couple or so years ago. One of the charming aspects for viewers was the street level activity of Queen street outside the studio windows. One of my sons, an aspiring chef at the time, had a segment with Dina Pugliese just before the moveout to Dundas Square.

150QueenJohnSEc1916.jpg

Now. June 2011.

151.jpg

Last edited:
August 22 Then and Now.

Then. c1916. Queen and John. SE corner. Picture sourced by wwwebster. The former 'Methodist Book Room' [old time nomenclature for a church publisher - which evolved down through the years into the present McGraw-Hill Ryerson Press]. Everyone still knows this as the City News Building - its owned by CTV now. It's visually noteworthy for its terracotta clad sides as opposed to the much more common and usual brick and quarried dressed stone for this 1913 era beauty. Terracotta could be moulded into whatever whimsical taste or pocketbook allowed - a walkaround of the outside delights the eye. The sound of keyboards tapping out 'terracotta' in Google was soon follow this post - I'll let y'all do your own research. 'Breakfast Television' broadcast from this location up until a couple or so years ago. One of the charming aspects for viewers was the street level activity of Queen street outside the studio windows. One of my sons, an aspiring chef at the time, had a segment with Dina Pugliese just before the moveout to Dundas Square.

150QueenJohnSEc1916.jpg

Now. June 2011.

151.jpg

1919:

queenjohn1919.jpg

Back