News   Jul 23, 2024
 185     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 790     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 2K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

IMG00040-20110801-1150.jpg

Just to follow up on this [the thread was around here], the Globe posted another article today about the site -- the archeological dig is giving way to the development...

Read article here.[/QUOTE]

A shame that they will bulldoze after all the photographic and archaelogical work is done. In London UK there is a parking garage near London Wall that has - naturally - a segment of London Wall incorporated into it, not structurally, but historically/decoratively. In Ivrea Italy, the only place I've been to in Italy (I worked for Olivetti), there are 'deep' archaelogical remnants incorporated into basements or left in-situ, open to view at a depth, surrounded by a guard railing. Strange to see a bit of Roman wall at the bottom of a railinged trench but there you go.

August 18 Then and Now.

Then. 214 King St. W. c1919. Picture sourced by wwwebster. 'Canadian General Electric Co. Automobile Accessories. Electrical Supplies.'

King street, east and west, in the downtown core had a 'jobber'/ industrial supplier/commercial aspect to it until the late 1980s. This existed side by side with the various Mirvish enterprises [I won't mention the roast beef at Ed's Warehouse] of the live entertainment and culinary sort. I'm reminded of a business that existed at 214 King E., Safety Supply Company, where I purchased several fire extinquishers in the early 80s. These were made by the General Fire Extinguisher Corp. - now out of business - in the USA. These units still guard my home and my daughter's homes - they still pass a pressure test and refill. All the valve parts are machined forgings - these were the Rolex of fire extinquishers. To pick one up is to realize the heft and construction of goods before the days when manufacturers 'raced to the bottom' seeking lower wages and tax rates offshore. The instructions on the Mexican made fire extinquishers sold at Canadian Tire direct you to 'discard' when the pressure gauge falls below minimum - this will happen in one year. My Generals stay charged for six, when they go for a refill.

Anyways, I'm just telling a parable why they don't sell some types of things on King street anymore.

Pub bore mode over. :)

144214KingStWestc1919.jpg

Now. June 2011. Notice anything about the building? :)

145.jpg

WhileI can appreciate the objective of opening up lower level retail, the angled stairs and railing at 214 King (a la Robarts Library) bother me every time I use them (one of the worst 1970's design fads still with us, when every draughtsman had his trusty 45 degree set square and T square on his draughting table; old fart side note: does today's generation even know what these items are?)

Last edited:
WhileI can appreciate the objective of opening up lower level retail, the angled stairs and railing at 214 King (a la Robarts Library) bother me every time I use them (one of the worst 1970's design fads still with us, when every draughtsman had his trusty 45 degree set square and T square on his draughting table; old fart side note: does today's generation even know what these items are?)

This is the first time that I've seen anyone used "draughting" to describe "drafting" -- I'm 28; I have a homemade drafting table and 45, 30/60 set squares and a 36" T square. Granted, they're not used as often as when I was high school and college. But they're there and I agree, manual drafting is a dying art.

August 18 Then and Now.

Then. 214 King St. W. c1919. Picture sourced by wwwebster. 'Canadian General Electric Co. Automobile Accessories. Electrical Supplies.'

144214KingStWestc1919.jpg

Now. June 2011. Notice anything about the building? :)

The building was doubled in size - to the west - must have happened before 1927 (see attached photo)

Attachments

• f1231_it2165.jpg
    f1231_it2165.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 275
This is the first time that I've seen anyone used "draughting" to describe "drafting" -- I'm 28; I have a homemade drafting table and 45, 30/60 set squares and a 36" T square. Granted, they're not used as often as when I was high school and college. But they're there and I agree, manual drafting is a dying art.

You're quite right about the spelling (it was pretty early when I posted it)!

When I tell younger people how as architects we used to do ink drawings on vellum or mylar as late as the mid-80's, I usually get a look like I'm describing the 1880's, not the 1980's.....

The building was doubled in size - to the west - must have happened before 1927 (see attached photo)

Interesting how the architectural philosophy in those days (like in Mustapha's pic of 260 Richmond W) was to make additions almost invisible.

1112QUEENSTREETEAST.jpg

Thanks to everybody , I know how to put up a full size photo. Like anything else on the computer it is very simple. When I can't figure out something ,what's left of my hair falls out and I think that only a rocket scientist could understand this technology.

1112QUEENSTREETEAST.jpg

Thanks to everybody , I know how to put up a full size photo. Like anything else on the computer it is very simple. When I can't figure out something ,what's left of my hair falls out and I think that only a rocket scientist could understand this technology.

I love those "Then & Now"s, brewster.
Although, many would like to know the locations (addresses).
Oops, I see now that the address is contained in your PhotoBucket identification - 1112 Queen St. East
Was/is Balantyre pronounced ....tire, ....tree, or ....tray (then & now)?

1012 Pape is the photo with my wife's grandmother 1942-2010 mash, first laneway south of Cosburn , east side. The second is indeed 1112 Queen East , Goldie , not sure of any details with the Queen photo. Rookie mistake not adding text , I'll get better.

You're quite right about the spelling (it was pretty early when I posted it)!

When I tell younger people how as architects we used to do ink drawings on vellum or mylar as late as the mid-80's, I usually get a look like I'm describing the 1880's, not the 1980's.....

I get a real kick here at work. We deal with the plans for the complex on a regular basis. I look up where drains and hvac ducts are located on them. They were all hand drawn by my boss! He was involved in the engineering of HVAC systems for a few Toronto buildings and the plans were all hand drawn like you said. He worked on SkyDome as well as a few other biggies. He even did an extensive survey of the Carlu years before it was renovated, while it was still abandoned. He is great guy to work for.

Back