News   May 10, 2024
 202     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 656     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 926     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Does anyone know anything about the building on the left? The photo was taken in the mid 1970s. Thank you.
f1526_fl0003_it0003.jpg

Attachments

• f1526_fl0003_it0003.jpg
    f1526_fl0003_it0003.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 980
"Does anyone know anything about the building on the left? The photo was taken in the mid 1970s. Thank you."
barit.

Nothing comes to mind, even with the Mother Corp antenna.
If pre 1970, and an address, I will be able to find it within my
Might's Directory.

Regards,
J T

That photo of Yorkville (1860) is amazing - it surely rates as one of the earliest photos of the City:

View attachment 70161

Yes, according to an on-line exhibit by the Toronto Archives, the earliest photos of Toronto were in 1856-57 by Armstrong, Beere and Hime, who did the famous Rossin House panorama:

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...nnel=7cb4ba2ae8b1e310VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_photography

This article includes the earliest known photograph with people:

Boulevard_du_Temple_by_Daguerre.jpg

"Boulevard du Temple", a daguerreotype made by Louis Daguerre in 1838, is generally accepted as the earliest photograph to include people. It is a view of a busy street, but because the exposure time was at least ten minutes the moving traffic left no trace. Only the two men near the bottom left corner, one apparently having his boots polished by the other, stayed in one place long enough to be visible."

Attachments

• Boulevard_du_Temple_by_Daguerre.jpg
    Boulevard_du_Temple_by_Daguerre.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 844
Last edited:
"It's looking Northeast towards the old CBC tower and would have to be pretty close "
gimbal.

The only one within that vicinity would be The Four Seasons.
(Could be; maybe; might be. That however would be looking toward the North West.)

Regards,
J T

Re the unidentified building... The backdrop and the construction almost make it appear temporary, like a condo sales centre, though I don't think those really existed back in the 70s.

I believe that this is the back of the building, probably the parking lot area; I don't ever recall being there,

as I always parked at the front door, whether on business or pleasure.

Regards,
J T

Could this be the same structure - in background?

Four Seasons.jpg

Attachments

• Four Seasons.jpg
    Four Seasons.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 791
"Could this be the same structure - in background?"

The one on the left is midtown and now, I don't even think it was The Four Seasons (Jarvis)

whereas the one on the right is within Don Mills and is a Four Seasons; Inn on The Park.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:

Back