News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Goldie, I'm glad you managed to find a photo of your childhood hangout - but - assuming the theatre was in the back behind the storefronts, like Mustapha's Capitol - was it partially below ground or have they lopped off the top of it? Or was it just a lot smaller than the nearby Odeon Danforth?

This is where I experienced my first movie - Saturday matinee 12 cents! (features, newsreel, serial, cartoons ------- no advertising)

Iola-fourversions_zpsa19b0f7e.jpg

Goldie, I'm glad you managed to find a photo of your childhood hangout - but - assuming the theatre was in the back behind the storefronts, like Mustapha's Capitol - was it partially below ground or have they lopped off the top of it? Or was it just a lot smaller than the nearby Odeon Danforth?

As I recall, many theatres in those days (Iola, Cameo, Allenby) had a sloping floor (towards the screen) that probably went into the basement.

The Victorian houses that used to be where the Robarts Library is now used to have to most elaborate annual ice sculptures on their lawns. I seem to recall this would have been in the 1960s... anyone else here remember this?

No snow here but the architecture was beautiful.
This photo was made shortly after the library was built:

RobLib_zpsa211df0f.jpg

As I recall, many theatres in those days (Iola, Cameo, Allenby) had a sloping floor (towards the screen) that probably went into the basement.

After Greenview closed, it was empty for a while. Then a Shoppers Drug Mart moved in. It then relocated one block east and, eventually, Mark's took over.

I don't know if Goldie can confirm this but, given that the building is taller in front than in back, the screen could have been situated in the front. There is a substantial basement in the place so I am guessing that the slope theory is correct.

After Greenview closed, it was empty for a while. Then a Shoppers Drug Mart moved in. It then relocated one block east and, eventually, Mark's took over.

I don't know if Goldie can confirm this but, given that the building is taller in front than in back, the screen could have been situated in the front. There is a substantial basement in the place so I am guessing that the slope theory is correct.

Thanks for that reminder about Shoppers Drug Mart - wish I had a photo of it as well.
My memory is that we walked towards the screen when entering the IOLA (Ace).

Thanks for those links, gpm & DSC.
I'm taking this opportunity to revive a few of my earlier posts:

xTN Cameo Pape -1934.jpg

yTN Community.jpg

zTN Palace.jpg

TN Allenby-Tims.jpg

Attachments

• xTN Cameo Pape -1934.jpg
    xTN Cameo Pape -1934.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 1,122
  • yTN Community.jpg
    yTN Community.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 1,118
  • zTN Palace.jpg
    zTN Palace.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 1,082
  • TN Allenby-Tims.jpg
    TN Allenby-Tims.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 1,124
There is a greek restaurant called Palace at the north west block of pape and Danforth.
I wonder if it is named after that theater??

There is a greek restaurant called Palace at the north west block of pape and Danforth.
I wonder if it is named after that theater??

Yes Koolgreen, it's on the west side of Pape (number 722), facing the subway station.
We must ask the owner about that popular name.

Then. 2010.

Huron and Grange streets. SW corner. A very old house that caught my eye because of its condition and longevity.

1266_zps016f4c31.jpg

Now. May 2014.

It's October 1 as I post this and quite a bit of landscaping has been done since the May picture.

1267_zps328a964e.jpg

Last edited:

Back