News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 377     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

893 Queen Street East - 1983

Then. 1970s? 893 Queen Street E. A wonderful 'decisive moment' picture, by the way.

1024px-Mister_Frankfurt_zpsea25f908.jpg

Mustapha: This picture was posted before and the date referred to was I believe 1983...31 years ago (hard to believe!!!)

LI MIKE

Then. Probably a couple of years ago. 780 Queen St. W. NE corner of Gore Vale and Queen. This picture - it's really a portrait, I think - was taken by Robert Burley, the photographer of note and Ryerson professor. I wish I had taken it. I had walked by many times always without a DSLR and thinking that the owner of this studio would retire soon and this sublimely elegant storefront would be no more. Thank goodness for those with the sense of foresight to make an image before something is gone forever.

1264_zpsef60c73e.jpg

Now. July 2014.

1265_zpsfde2eff8.jpg

Just for fun, for those of you with an interest in history and air travel:

http://www.panamexperience.com/

Last edited:
would love to hear your speculations as to the date of the "then" picture ("now" picture taken today)

1954?

Guessing by the cars (that white car looks like a 1952 Ford) and the hairdo of the woman very faintly depicted in that little billboard in the lower L-H corner.

What I find confusing is that Millwood appears to be bereft of houses. I would have thought all that area would have been built up by 1950.

Then. Probably a couple of years ago. 780 Queen St. W. NE corner of Gore Vale and Queen. This picture - it's really a portrait, I think - was taken by Robert Burley, the photographer of note and Ryerson professor. I wish I had taken it. I had walked by many times always without a DSLR and thinking that the owner of this studio would retire soon and this sublimely elegant storefront would be no more. Thank goodness for those with the sense of foresight to make an image before something is gone forever.

1264_zpsef60c73e.jpg

Now. July 2014.

1265_zpsfde2eff8.jpg

I have an longtime interest in photo studios.
And certainly curious as to what is now behind those white walls. A private residence?

I was reminded of the photo studio that was once in this Leaside building at McRae and Sutherland.
The building was a general store when built in 1929. Later a post office.
Then Ronald Miller Photography (I regret my lack of "foresight" for not recording an image of his studio).
Recent incarnation, "Natural Health."

Miller1_zps8d650684.jpg

Miller2_zpsa7764487.jpg

I have an longtime interest in photo studios.
And certainly curious as to what is now behind those white walls. A private residence?

I was reminded of the photo studio that was once in this Leaside building at McRae and Sutherland.
The building was a general store when built in 1929. Later a post office.
Then Ronald Miller Photography (I regret my lack of "foresight" for not recording an image of his studio).
Recent incarnation, "Natural Health."

Miller1_zps8d650684.jpg

Miller2_zpsa7764487.jpg

Hi Goldie.

A bakery is behind those white walls.

Your Now picture of McRae and Sutherland... could that be the same tree on the left?

I wonder why the windows are so crudely boarded up?

Hi Goldie.

A bakery is behind those white walls.

Your Now picture of McRae and Sutherland... could that be the same tree on the left?

I wonder why the windows are so crudely boarded up?

Mustapha, Your keen observations certainly exceed mine - I hadn't noticed the tree, but I think you're right.

This is where I experienced my first movie - Saturday matinee 12 cents! (features, newsreel, serial, cartoons ------- no advertising)

Iola-fourversions_zpsa19b0f7e.jpg

Not sure if any of these photos have been posted previously but BlogTO showed some nice images of the evolution of St. George Street.

Shame what happened to many of the properties around Robarts as well as the tree-lined street scape.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2014/09/what_st_george_street_used_to_look_like_in_toronto/

The Victorian houses that used to be where the Robarts Library is now used to have to most elaborate annual ice sculptures on their lawns. I seem to recall this would have been in the 1960s... anyone else here remember this?

This is where I experienced my first movie - Saturday matinee 12 cents! (features, newsreel, serial, cartoons ------- no advertising)

Iola-fourversions_zpsa19b0f7e.jpg

No pictures but for me it was the Capitol Theatre at Yonge and Castlefield. 35 cents for matinees of the 'Carry On' series. First run movies were 75 cents. This would have been 1965 or so. By 1970 it was $1.25 for a first run movie. I recall the general uproar.

And movies used to run continuously... 'Continuous Shows' they were called... as soon as the movie ended they would run it again, over and over all afternoon and into the evening. If you came into a movie in the middle you would watch it until you got to that point in the next show and then get up and leave. And they would let people smoke in theatres too. It was especially nice when someone behind you blew the smoke past your ears. And we didn't have flu shots but I digress. :)

Back