News   Jul 12, 2024
 894     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 802     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 333     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I also like the fact that in the span of 50 years, the computer terminals went from taking up a whole room to being the size of a DVD player, and maybe smaller!

Hi enelemcee, it is amazing, isn't it? And only at Urban Toronto can we get a combined regular Then and Now and a History-of-Computing-Then-and-Now.

Then and Now for June 3, 2013.

Then. Who doesn't know the story of Mary Pickford, Canadian girl who made good in Hollywood early in the last century; even if her films aren't relevant to contemporary tastes anymore?

1139_zps8994da54.jpg

Mary Pickford on a visit home (211 University Avenue) in 1924. She was born in 1892 (d.1979) so she was 32 here; she looks lovely; it's an age at which a woman's beauty peaks, in my opinion, no longer young, and still far from early middle age. I only mention this as she, being an actress, made a career out of coquettish good looks, a career that ended when that look faded.

1140MaryPickfordonstepsofbirthplace211UniversityAve3241924_zps9a6dfd8a.jpg

Now. April 2013.

1141_zpsa2c771a3.jpg

Ms. Pickford made many visits to Toronto over the years:

mary6.jpg

mary.jpg

mary2.jpg

mary3.jpg

mary4.jpg

mary5.jpg

marypickfordgrandad.jpg

Attachments

• mary.jpg
    mary.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 725
  • mary2.jpg
    mary2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 664
  • mary3.jpg
    mary3.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 656
  • mary4.jpg
    mary4.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 665
  • mary5.jpg
    mary5.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 635
  • mary6.jpg
    mary6.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 676
  • marypickfordgrandad.jpg
    marypickfordgrandad.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 683
And here's the bust of Mary Pickford - in front of the Hospital for Sick Children, University Ave.

MaryPonUniversity.jpg

The G&M ran a story today about the decline of cashiers and clerks and included this photo from the TD Bank pavillion. I'm trying to guess the date. It looks like Commerce Court West has already gone up, so that means 1972 or later. The hair styles have an early 80's vibe to them. I'm going to go with 1981.
future00sr2.JPG

Attachments

• future00sr2.JPG
    future00sr2.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 663
Re pix of Mary Pickford visits, does anyone own or wear spats anymore?

I'm amusing myself by trying to figure out where these pictures where taken...

1st one: I'm stumped.

2nd: Union Station?, just a guess. Nice shoes - suede, I think - rather daring - on the husband there.

3rd and 4th: Outside and inside Old City Hall of course. That chair she's sitting in is still there in the old council chamber.

5th: Could be anywhere... but that mysterious structure in the left distance intrigues me.

6th: Varsity Stadium.

7th: I wonder where the 'Grand' theatre was? I have a feeling I know it; but I've forgotten.

Thanks thecharioteer, for this picture set.

Last edited:
The G&M ran a story today about the decline of cashiers and clerks and included this photo from the TD Bank pavillion. I'm trying to guess the date. It looks like Commerce Court West has already gone up, so that means 1972 or later. The hair styles have an early 80's vibe to them. I'm going to go with 1981.
View attachment 13546

I was just living this today; lined up to transact with a real live cashier at the Bay Dundas Canadian Tire.

I would rather do this than use the self-checkout.

It wasn't that long ago that teenage girls (and boys) made tuition money over the summer by working the registers.

Automating the jobs of the lowest on the job rung is the last refuge of the corporate scoundrel; if a corporate entity can be called a scoundrel...

Then and Now for June 4, 2013.

Then. Here's something completely different. An interior. 117 Yonge Street. c1914. Henessy's Drug Store.

1129117Yongec1914_zps4448b7c1.jpg

Now. April 2013. Timbuktu gift shop.

1130117yonge_zpsaafac339.jpg

Last edited:

2nd: Union Station?, just a guess. Nice shoes - suede, I think - rather daring - on the husband there.

Funny, I noticed and admired Mary's shoes in this photo.
1140MaryPickfordonstepsofbirthplace211UniversityAve3241924_zps9a6dfd8a.jpg

1st one: I'm stumped.

3rd and 4th: Outside and inside Old City Hall of course. That chair she's sitting in is still there in the old council chamber.

5th: Could be anywhere... but that mysterious structure in the left distance intrigues me.

6th: Varsity Stadium.

7th: I wonder where the 'Grand' theatre was? I have a feeling I know it; but I've forgotten.

Thanks thecharioteer, for this picture set.

The first one is captioned in the Archives as Mary Pickford, group outside hotel, March 23, 1924. I think it's the King Edward.

The Grand? Could it have been the old Grand Opera House on Adelaide?

grand.jpg

Attachments

• grand.jpg
    grand.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 571

Back