1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Thanks to Google Street-View for the 'Now.'

Popcornvendor1957.jpg

An outstanding photograph, Goldie. So many nice elements I don't know where to begin. The effortlessly but superbly kitted out tomboy-ish young lady on the far right reminds me of Scout Finch from the film To Kill A Mockingbird. Absolutely splendid tonality and 'mood'.

Last edited:
An outstanding photograph, Goldie. So many nice elements I don't know where to begin. The effortlessly but superbly kitted out tomboy-ish young lady on the far right reminds me of Scout Finch from the film To Kill A Mockingbird. Absolutely splendid.

Thanks for those astute observations, Mustapha.
I should have mentioned the source of that delightful photo - Toronto Reference Library.
Just imagine, those kids are (hopefully) 55 years older now!

Last edited:
Then and Now for August 9.

Then. Another 59/60-ish picture? Queen just E of Yonge looking back W across Yonge.

716photo-toronto-queen-street-just-east-of-yonge-looking-west-streetcars-crowd-simpsons-upper-left-subway-entrance-lower-right-mid-1950s1.jpg

Now. April 2012.

718.jpg

Last edited:
Then and Now for August 9.

Then. Another 59/60-ish picture? Queen just E of Yonge looking back W across Yonge.

716photo-toronto-queen-street-just-east-of-yonge-looking-west-streetcars-crowd-simpsons-upper-left-subway-entrance-lower-right-mid-1950s1.jpg

Now. April 2012.

718.jpg

Wow! Three out of four "then" corners not leveled! Is there another interersection downtown that can match?

Then and Now for August 10.

Then. 81 Bloor St. E. 1954. Key Largo Restaurant.

721key-largo-restaurant-81-bloor-east--1954.jpg

Now. Peridot Lounge. And, The Spotted Dick. The latter - it's an English expression. Which I absolutely refuse to look up. :)

722.jpg

Then and Now for August 8.

Then. King street TTC station subway entrance. SW corner. Looks to be 1954-ish [the Yonge line opened in 1954].

714.jpg

Love this picture on a number of levels, Mustapha, but particularly because of seeing the Manning Arcade, designed by EJ Lennox, built in 1885, demolished in 1962:

20458.jpg

arcade-1.jpg

ManningArcadeKingStreetentranceToronto-1.jpg

Toronto_1910_Atlas_Volume_1_Plat-8.jpg

Now. Peridot Lounge. And, The Spotted Dick. The latter - it's an English expression. Which I absolutely refuse to look up. :)

722.jpg

That first pic looks more like a simulated 1980s fake to me...

(perhaps superfluously) Fear not - 'tis a pudding, not an ailment.

I agree with adma's comment below about the 1954 property looking '80s. It reminds me a little of this angular place on Dupont, which at one time was a Japanese restaurant but has been vacant for ages.

Back