News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 378     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Ut-er 'Eddy' has asked me to post a couple of pictures for him.

P6140207.jpg

That decal on the door is 'priceless.'
I'll bet there isn't another one in the country.

Eddy provides a couple of pictures of its present status; and a closeup of the most fascinating decal on the door. Thanks Eddy; and everyone please enjoy the pictures because I don't believe the new tenants or owners will preserve that old store frontage.

Maybe not in situ; but I find it difficult to imagine that new tenants/owners would simply trash the door'n'decal--who knows, it might turn up at St. Lawrence one Sunday...

That decal on the door is 'priceless.'
I'll bet there isn't another one in the country.

I won't bet against you. Amazing that it was in such plain sight but I never noticed it.

Thanks for that link, Mustapha.
That photo by Sebastião Salgado of the oil workers in Kuwait is wonderful.
I've admired Salgado's work for many years - it's magnificent!

You're welcome Goldie, we try. :)

Maybe not in situ; but I find it difficult to imagine that new tenants/owners would simply trash the door'n'decal--who knows, it might turn up at St. Lawrence one Sunday...

Let's hope. Let's hope. We'll know soon enough. I envision a burrito/schwarma/pizza place going in here and I'm not hopeful.

The solution to salvage this thing in case of imminent destruction is to get in touch with the tenants and ask if it can be removed the day before the renovation crew moves in..

Though I'm sure the beating heart of some of those old frontages lies within. (And it's worth noting that Novelty is still with us...)

Then and Now for August 8.

Then. King street TTC station subway entrance. SW corner. Looks to be 1954-ish [the Yonge line opened in 1954].

714.jpg

Now. April 2012.

715.jpg

Then and Now for August 8.

Then. King street TTC station subway entrance. SW corner. Looks to be 1954-ish [the Yonge line opened in 1954].

714.jpg

It would be more 1959/60-ish (that's a '59 Ford behind the subway entrance; plus, what I presume is the hoarding for Peter Dickinson's Prudential on the right)

At what point did Child's restaurants fold, I wonder?

King Station

It would be more 1959/60-ish (that's a '59 Ford behind the subway entrance; plus, what I presume is the hoarding for Peter Dickinson's Prudential on the right)

QUOTE]

The entrance on the north-east corner actually survived with the original chrome railings until the late 1990s.

Also notice the sheet metal applied on the street-side of the entrance to keep the slush spray from soaking people going up and down the stairs. That was a later addition, no doubt after many people got soaked down with dirty slush.

714.jpg

My immediate thought was regarding the photographer standing on the abutment.
Looks exactly like a rear view of Henri Cartier-Bressson.
Could it be?

My immediate thought was regarding the photographer standing on the abutment.
Looks exactly like a rear view of Henri Cartier-Bressson.
Could it be?

It's a very small camera; his hands are close to his face. A small rangefinder perhaps? Leica perhaps? Like HCB... :)

Back