News   Jul 12, 2024
 909     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 814     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 334     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then and Now for April 12.

Then. 291 Sherbourne. c1900. Residence of John Ross Robertson. Note the fence. Bottom of the picture. Squint a bit. :)

490291Sherbournec1900.jpg

Now. July 2011.

491.jpg

The fence. Seems to be original.

493.jpg

Mustapha:

Thanks for the pics of Robertson House. In addition to it being a women's shelter and playing a major role providing social services in downtown Toronto, its renovation and addition in 1998, by what was then Taylor Hariri and Pontarini, is an architectural gem.

From the HPA website:

rhc_131.jpg
rhc_121.jpg

rhc_081.jpg
rhc_031.jpg

rhc_011.jpg
rhc_05.jpg

rhc_02.jpg

And as a post-script, a picture of the original porch:

pictures-r-3714.jpg

Last edited:
The College Times is now the annual yearbook. The Old Times is the regular mailing. I just got mine 2 days ago.

Hello everybody. Haven't been here for a while. Found a couple of 1952 photo's from the Bayview & Eglinton area I would like to share. Is there any other ones of the apparent 1st strip mall in Toronto being built?

Looking west on Eglinton to Bayview 1952
BayviewEglinton-onEglintonlookingwesttowardBayviewEarly1950s.jpg

Capture111111.jpg

Looking ne Bayview & Eglinton 1952
1952.jpg

Capture.jpg

Mustapha:

Thanks for the pics of Robertson House. In addition to it being a women's shelter and playing a major role providing social services in downtown Toronto, its renovation and addition in 1998, by what was then Taylor Hariri and Pontarini, is an architectural gem.

From the HPA website:

rhc_131.jpg
rhc_121.jpg

rhc_081.jpg
rhc_031.jpg

rhc_011.jpg
rhc_05.jpg

rhc_02.jpg

And as a post-script, a picture of the original porch:

pictures-r-3714.jpg

Beautiful courtyard thecharioteer. You could almost feel like you're in Los Angeles.

Hello everybody. Haven't been here for a while. Found a couple of 1952 photo's from the Bayview & Eglinton area I would like to share. Is there any other ones of the apparent 1st strip mall in Toronto being built?

Capture111111.jpg

Looking ne Bayview & Eglinton 1952
1952.jpg

Capture.jpg

Heya Brewster, what's up?

In your first Then picture, the Regent gas station in the left distance lasted up until the late 80s or so.

It's funny how everywhere you look now, spanking new gas plazas are all over but prior to about 1990, gas stations from the 1920s were a common sight.

The huge Petro Canada on the SE corner of Eglinton and Avenue Road dates from about 1990. Prior to that it was a very grim affair from the 1920s.

Then and Now for April 13.

Then. June 8, 1952. Yonge and Grenville. SW corner. The construction of course is for the Yonge Subway line. Of course I say this for the non-Toronto viewers of this thread. :)

494.jpg

Now. June 2011. The row houses on the right are decades long gone. I've cheated everyone of a few feet to the right and left.. the day I took this photo I had a fixed focal length lens on my camera and I could back up no further. When I go out to take pictures, some days I forget to put the zoom lens on the camera. I like to take my camera everywhere but only with a lightweight small fixed lens.

495.jpg

Then. June 8, 1952. Yonge and Grenville. SW corner. The construction of course is for the Yonge Subway line. Of course I say this for the non-Toronto viewers of this thread.

Somewhere, I've a whole series of the "Sidewalk Superintendent" pamphlets put out by the TTC during the Yonge subway construction. Fascinating stuff, the put out this series to explain to people watching from the sidewalk what was going on, how things were being done, why they were being done, etc.

That concludes my tangent for the day.

AHW: Thanks for the mention...I looked at those headlights myself and I am thinking late 80s or around 1990 for this top picture...
It is too bad that I can not read the license plates and the information on that taxi better...LI MIKE

the metalhalide streetlights might be an indicator. ( 1994ish? )

Somewhere, I've a whole series of the "Sidewalk Superintendent" pamphlets put out by the TTC during the Yonge subway construction. Fascinating stuff, the put out this series to explain to people watching from the sidewalk what was going on, how things were being done, why they were being done, etc.

That concludes my tangent for the day.

Me too - and I've seen them online somewhere. This is from the TTC site
http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/History/cavalcade_of_progress.jsp

cfs_ode_big.gif

There are a couple of photos of the general vicinity taken around the same time.
The notes on this photo, taken by James Salmon, says " Inscribed by him in dark purplish blue ballpoint pen, album page below print: Eglinton Ave filling in the dip in the road to accomodate the / Sunnybrook Shopping Centre. the road and sidewalk is still / intact under the fill." There was of course, a creek that ran through 'the dip'

pictures-r-3298.jpg

Here's the link to the full size photo if anyone's interested.
http://static.torontopubliclibrary.ca/da/images/LC/pictures-r-3298.jpg

And here's one of before construction
pictures-r-3299.jpg

And full size
http://static.torontopubliclibrary.ca/da/images/LC/pictures-r-3299.jpg

And here's one way before construction.
Goldie has a great photo he took in the 60s as an 'after' for this one.
pictures-r-2420.jpg

And here's one way before construction.
Goldie has a great photo he took in the 60s as an 'after' for this one.
pictures-r-2420.jpg

Guess I'd forgotten. Is that photo looking N. on Bayview?
This may be the photo to which you refer. ???

traffic1964where.jpg

Toronto Modern.

A very very cool blog that I'm sure many of you know about. I re-came across it while researching (in reality, bemoaning the loss of) the McLaughlin Planetarium. If the Lotto has smiled on me tonight the Zeiss projector will be reclaimed from York University via a generous endowment - no Snickers please - and reinstalled in a new building of my commissioning. :)

http://robertmoffatt115.wordpress.com/

Back