522     2 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 441     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 476     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"Then. 34 and 32 Front Street West, respectively. c1914. A wwwebster picture."
QUOTE Mustapha.

THE buildings which are pictured were/are the replacements for The E W Gillett Co plant

the remains of which were seen in my Galbraith photo. (1904 Great Toronto Fire.)

Regards,
J T

Thanks JT, I just remembered this after your reminder. :)

Jan 13 Then and Now.

32 Heath Street W. c1910.

34932HeathStWc1910.jpg

Now. July 2011.

350.jpg

Something odd happened between the time of these two photos - 1934 and 2011
(thanks to Mustapha for the 2011 pic)

urbantoronto-1430-4138.jpg

CSC_0829.jpg

Sir Adam was replaced by this "living" memorial!

monumenttoworkers.jpg

What's happening in the last photo? It looks like workers are demolishing the base of the Adam Beck Memorial. That probably would have happened in the late 1940s when University Avenue was widened and the median shifted westward.

What's happening in the last photo? It looks like workers are demolishing the base of the Adam Beck Memorial. That probably would have happened in the late 1940s when University Avenue was widened and the median shifted westward.

I took the photo but cannot recall the date - certainly not the 1940s - more likely the 1960-70 era.
Yes, the monument was being demolished.
Perhaps the a UT historian will give us the date and reason.

I took the photo but cannot recall the date - certainly not the 1940s - more likely the 1960-70 era.
Yes, the monument was being demolished.
Perhaps the a UT historian will give us the date and reason.

That stone pediment Adam is standing on and leaning against.. I see cracks in it.. on the bottom right.. anyone else see this? Might be the reason for its demolition.

That stone pediment Adam is standing on and leaning against.. I see cracks in it.. on the bottom right.. anyone else see this? Might be the reason for its demolition.

I seem to recall that the monument was removed for the subway construction and then later replaced.
Is that possible?

Sir Adam was replaced by this "living" memorial!

monumenttoworkers.jpg

Some other images of the mysterious demolition of Beck's pedestal:

Attachments

• Unniversity Ave. monument demolition.jpg
    Unniversity Ave. monument demolition.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 269
  • University Ave. monument demolition 2.jpg
    University Ave. monument demolition 2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 288
Which, of course, pinpoint its date as post-1958 or so (i.e. whenever the Bank of Canada was built.)

University Subway, probably. (And I'll assume with "artist's supervision".)

Then and Now for Jan 16.

Then. c1916. The Carty Building sits for its portrait. NW corner of Yonge and Albert. Another rare wwwebster sourced picture.

356220YongeatAlbertNWc1916.jpg

Now. August 2011.

357.jpg

Back