News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 940     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Re: the Torontoist article

So the blame falls on: a) speeding motorists; b) subways; c) heritage materials; d) bureaucracy and e) politicians;

I guess none of those issues ever come up in Paris...........

paris.jpg

Europe is a totally different animal altogether. They can be striking, rioting, in debt, flooding, political unrest, etc, and they still manage to maintain a level of beauty that we in Canada (outside of our natural wonders) are hard pressed to match. Unfortunately (at least in Toronto) the red tape involved in just about everything we do is very limiting. Add that to the fact that Toronto is still very much (even with all its liberalism) a 'small-town minded' city with very provincial and conservative approaches to art, history and city development.

Re: the Torontoist article

So the blame falls on: a) speeding motorists; b) subways; c) heritage materials; d) bureaucracy and e) politicians;

I guess none of those issues ever come up in Paris...........

paris.jpg

"heritage materials"...

Only a purist would object to granite not quarried from the same source. It seems some in our City Works need a creative jab to get going. The labour is already there; that crew needs to be sent down to get the job done. I blame operations management. :) Even pols don't need to be involved on this one.

While we are on the subject of one Toronto tailor, it should be mentioned as to some others of great import:

LOU MYLES. - Yonge Street north of Gould Street. (East side) 1960's to present. (now in Vaughan)

LLOYD BROTHERS. - Yonge Street south from the Canadian Pacific Building. (East side) 1950's/60's/70's.

SAM KALLES. - Hermant Building. circa, 1940's/50's.

Regards,
J T

Two clothing stores of my childhood that caught my attention: Studio 267, Ed Provan; both on Yonge north of Queen east side. I used to gaze in the windows and at the gents of my dads generation who came and went from these shops. It was the custom of those days to be less casually dressed wasn't it?

Last edited:
I agree, more attention needs to be given to Toronto's public spaces. It seems to be a large oversight in a city that can churn out projects at the rate of Toronto. Sure, Toronto's skyline gets more impresive, but details at ground level often seem to be an afterthought, when they're not ignored. But still, projects like Sugar Beach are beacons for an urban future, and you know they're onto something here, when you pinch yourself that it actually got built. In Toronto the private realm is well looked after, now let's make sure the public is as well.

Hi Frank,

Welcome to the Group. That's pretty succinct.

" It seems some in our City Works need a creative jab to get going." QUOTE Mustapha.

Would this "JAB", be given by the same Operations Mgr as the one with the 'responsibility" for the TTC St Clair carline?

Unbelievable as it may sound/look, re the above, NO ONE PERSON WAS EVER RESPONSIBLE - NOT ONE PERSON WAS IN CHARGE!!!

(Or so the TTC/pols tell us now.)

Everything is/was pol motivated in this city only if it furthers their own "cause/agenda", eg Jarvis Street "traffic coordination".

Regards,
J T

" It was the custom of those days to be less casually dressed wasn't it?" QUOTE MUSTAPHA.

HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA (MLG) was a "dress-up" event for many, being even a Black Tie affair.

Tymes change, Dead Men are rolling.

Regards,
J T

Sure, Toronto's skyline gets more impresive, but details at ground level often seem to be an afterthought, when they're not ignored.

Amen! An impressive skyline makes for a great photo-op but if there's nothing to do at street level — who cares? I'd rather live in a 'flat' city whith tonnes to do downtown instead of a 'tall' city where everything closes at 7pm and there's hardly anything to do anyway as at the base of these office buildings and condos is just the entrance to them or a dry cleaner. Ugh.

January 25 additionS. Two picture pairs today.

Then. "April 4, 1935. NW corner Parliament and Carlton."

We see here: an early "A & P" store. Chalmers delicatessen is in close proximity to a competitor but perhaps they don't compete in the same "product segments". :)

Across the street is The French Bakery. Perhaps that should be Zee French Bakery. Perhaps that was in bad taste. :)

s0372_ss0058_it1380.jpg

Now. November 2010.

DSC_0047.jpg

And here is the next pair:

s0372_ss0058_it1371.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

The Beginnings of Grunge

Speaking of "suits, ties, hats"
I've often wondered:
When did the "grunge" era begin?
Was it with Brando & Dean?

Attachments

• grunge.jpg
    grunge.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 274
"When did the "grunge" era begin?" QUOTE Goldie.

I would presume when jeans became allowed in the schools.

When ballpoint pens replaced the nib/holder/inkwell, penmanship "went out of the window", as well.

Regards,
J T

What's a pen? I can barely sign cheques today what with everything being done via keyboard.

What's a cheque?

(I'm kidding, of course, but I can't remember the last time I saw someone pay by cheque in a store. In this regard we're considerably ahead of the US, where you still will see people paying for groceries with cheques (or rather, checks)--not frequently, but it still happens. I've written most of my cheques to set up direct deposit so I won't have to write cheques. About the only person who I regularly pay by cheque is the lady I buy Avon from.

Back