News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 978     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 367     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Maybe this is too recent for context that I've seen in this thread, but I'm really impressed by the change. Not that I like how the fountain is now.

From this (Image by John Vetterli)
543525645_812817a12a.jpg

to this (Image from TheStar)
f361ad634876b78e617892984977.jpeg

TTC12,

That's a great night time Then picture. Very atmospheric. I haven't paid attention to these fountains. Are they sorted out and working now?

Last edited:
January 23 addition.

Then. "296 Gerrard st E at Parliament - Gerrard Pharmacy. ca1947" This is the NW corner.

296gerrardatparl.jpg

Now. November 2010.

DSC_0046.jpg

Maybe this is too recent for context that I've seen in this thread, but I'm really impressed by the change. Not that I like how the fountain is now.

From this (Image by John Vetterli)
543525645_812817a12a.jpg

to this (Image from TheStar)
f361ad634876b78e617892984977.jpeg

This is so sad. My sister got married six years ago, and we went to these fountains in their full glory to take photos of us bridesmaids splashing around in them. I understand that fountains aren't the greatest things for energy conservation in a city, but there's got to be a better way of keeping them looking decent other than just shutting them off. Seriously, University just looks like a mausoleum now.

According to a friend working in the Arcade building's government offices, the closure of all those little shops was carried out to replace the eclectic and low traffic mix of retailers with a single big-store concern (think Winners in College Park). The owners of Arcade's ambitions were large: they installed special lighting to draw attention to the gym downstairs, gave the boot to numerous little retailers, and were apparently displeased by the uber-casual civil servants attire, suggesting it took down the overall feel of the place. Maybe the bad anti-civil servant karma caught up to them!

The sad state of the University Avenue fountains results from two factors, neither having to do with energy conservation.

The first has to do with the cost of replacing the granite which was damaged when a car crashed into it a few years ago (apparently it's an expensive granite). This unbelievably pathetic excuse was given to me by a City bureaucrat last year.

The second, is a political one. University Avenue straddles the border between two wards, so neither downtown Councillor has taken "ownership" of the issue.

Given the failure of City Hall to maintain this example of the public realm, perhaps the fountains (and the South African Memorial) should be given over to a "public-private partnership" (similar to certain parts of Central Park) in exchange for naming rights?

f1231_it0614.jpg

Last edited:
The sad state of the University Avenue fountains results from two factors, neither having to do with energy conservation.

The first has to do with the cost of replacing the granite which was damaged when a car crashed into it a few years ago (apparently it's an expensive granite). This unbelievably pathetic excuse was given to me by a City bureaucrat last year.

The second, is a political one. University Avenue straddles the border between two wards, so neither downtown Councillor has taken "ownership" of the issue.

Given the failure of City Hall to maintain this example of the public realm, perhaps the fountains (and the South African Memorial) should be given over to a "public-private partnership" (similar to certain parts of Central Park) in exchange for naming rights?

Typical Toronto red tape malarkey. Ugh. If they can't keep the fountains up and running then at least fix them (with some less hi-tech granite!) and turn them into LED light fixtures or something. Or put some grass and seating area like they did across the street (south).

Visitors and Torontonians who aren't usually in the area might innocently assume that it's a basic problem that will fixed shortly. In reality, it looks like no one cares, which is really unfortunate because so many people pass by, and to many it suggests that the city is sloppy and indifferent to these problems. Worse yet, some people begin to assume that this is just how it is and nothing can be done about how our city looks and presents itself. They become indifferent to a lot of other problems. Maybe it's time to fire someone over incompetence. Toronto could also use a loud public space watchdog/lobby group.

I didn't expect to get this much of a response!

Personally I find fountains wonderful. I saw the University Ave fountain in it's glory a few years ago, and I fell in 'love' with it, only to find it in this state last year.

Supposedly, they're going to fix it this year, according to an article I can't find, that I read yesterday. Hopefully they'll come true with this, and the fountain will return to its former glory!

Here is an article that outlines why the fountain is the way it is: http://torontoist.com/2010/08/for_a_water_feature_situated.php

P.S. How about that statue of a man across queen st, is this a fountain too?

Mmmm . . .

Miller, Rae + Vaughan . . .

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
OOPS.... trying to answer a question on a very old page/ My first post on this extremely exciting & interesting forum...Thanks to all!! / now, if I can remember what page I was on 160ish..

Last edited:
I didn't expect to get this much of a response!

Personally I find fountains wonderful. I saw the University Ave fountain in it's glory a few years ago, and I fell in 'love' with it, only to find it in this state last year.

Supposedly, they're going to fix it this year, according to an article I can't find, that I read yesterday. Hopefully they'll come true with this, and the fountain will return to its former glory!

Here is an article that outlines why the fountain is the way it is: http://torontoist.com/2010/08/for_a_water_feature_situated.php

P.S. How about that statue of a man across queen st, is this a fountain too?

Re: the Torontoist article

So the blame falls on: a) speeding motorists; b) subways; c) heritage materials; d) bureaucracy and e) politicians;

I guess none of those issues ever come up in Paris...........

paris.jpg

According to a friend working in the Arcade building's government offices, the closure of all those little shops was carried out to replace the eclectic and low traffic mix of retailers with a single big-store concern (think Winners in College Park). The owners of Arcade's ambitions were large: they installed special lighting to draw attention to the gym downstairs, gave the boot to numerous little retailers, and were apparently displeased by the uber-casual civil servants attire, suggesting it took down the overall feel of the place. Maybe the bad anti-civil servant karma caught up to them!

Thanks for the background story College Park. When it existed it was a nice intimate 50s style refuge/holdover.

I believe we're looking at Harry Rosen's first store. I'm not sure whether he was still running that location in 1962 or if he had decamped for a posher environs.

Strange how two of Canada's most upscale brands -- HR and Four Seasons -- were both birthed on the grimy steets east of Yonge.

Visitors and Torontonians who aren't usually in the area might innocently assume that it's a basic problem that will fixed shortly. In reality, it looks like no one cares, which is really unfortunate because so many people pass by, and to many it suggests that the city is sloppy and indifferent to these problems. Worse yet, some people begin to assume that this is just how it is and nothing can be done about how our city looks and presents itself. They become indifferent to a lot of other problems. Maybe it's time to fire someone over incompetence. Toronto could also use a loud public space watchdog/lobby group.

I agree, more attention needs to be given to Toronto's public spaces. It seems to be a large oversight in a city that can churn out projects at the rate of Toronto. Sure, Toronto's skyline gets more impresive, but details at ground level often seem to be an afterthought, when they're not ignored. But still, projects like Sugar Beach are beacons for an urban future, and you know they're onto something here, when you pinch yourself that it actually got built. In Toronto the private realm is well looked after, now let's make sure the public is as well.

Back