News   May 17, 2024
 852     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 540     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 5.5K     7 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

When working for a company who shall remain ........ I asked if the building plans of many of the properties were

stiil in "residence" and what was their state. Look, take, for yourself I was told, we will retrieve the rest. I did.

A number of days later I returned to inquire about the remaining safekeeping. Yup, they are !

They are ALL RIGHT UNDER THAT BACKHOE!

Regards,
J T

Businesses come and go.

Even those that make a mark in their time on the business landscape may leave nothing behind in their passing. If we are lucky, it may be a building with a name across it in stone [Britnells Books or Frogley's, the latter on the SW corner of Yonge and Yorkville. I wonder who they were?].

I have some 1920s furniture in my home made by a long gone Ontario manufacturer.

Paper records are the first to go to the trash heap.

Anyways, I am ruminating again.

Here is the daily addition. December 9th.

Then. "July 22, 1937. NE corner Westmoreland and Bloor".

s0372_ss0058_it1440.jpg

Now. November 2010.

DSC_0014.jpg

December 10 addition.

Then. "March 29, 1949. Christie St. looking N from opposite #283".

s0372_ss0058_it1900.jpg

Now. November 2010.

DSC_0027.jpg

I like the Planters Peanuts Tower, The Fish & Chip Shop, the parked car with a few dings & the neighbourly feeling that one gets from this image.

I would also like to thank all of you who have kept Toronto Then & Now such an interesting, informative & sentimental place to visit.

I would also like to extend a personal thank you to Mustapha for posting some pictures & little tribute to my late Mother on my behalf.

I hope to get with the programme & share some of the photographs & postcards I have with all of you.

In Gratitude,

Valshere

One day, probably early in 1945, my mother took me on a long streetcar ride from North Toronto to a factory shop where we bought peanut butter. It must have been a rationed foodstuff. I remember it coming out of a tube and into a jar--and not the largest of jars either. Until I saw the Planters Peanut Tower sign in the photo I had no idea where that was.

I like the "Military Hospital - SLOW" sign.

Charming isn't it? That should slow them down. :)

i believe there's a senior's residence on that site now.

That's right.

http://urbantoronto.ca/content.php?527-Heritage-Toronto-Mondays-The-Christie-Street-Hospital

http://www.alanbrown.com/TorontoHistory/Pages_STU/Site_of_the_Christie_Street.html

I like the Planters Peanuts Tower, The Fish & Chip Shop, the parked car with a few dings & the neighbourly feeling that one gets from this image.

I would also like to thank all of you who have kept Toronto Then & Now such an interesting, informative & sentimental place to visit.

I would also like to extend a personal thank you to Mustapha for posting some pictures & little tribute to my late Mother on my behalf.

I hope to get with the programme & share some of the photographs & postcards I have with all of you.

In Gratitude,

Valshere

You're welcome ValsHere.

Yes, an interesting group around our watercooler here.

Looking forward to seeing some of your image collection.

One day, probably early in 1945, my mother took me on a long streetcar ride from North Toronto to a factory shop where we bought peanut butter. It must have been a rationed foodstuff. I remember it coming out of a tube and into a jar--and not the largest of jars either. Until I saw the Planters Peanut Tower sign in the photo I had no idea where that was.

"Mr. Peanut", their advertising mascot, must have been made in the hundreds of thousands in various forms. A visitor to the St. Lawrence Sunday Antique market may often find examples. I'm not quite sure what to do with such a decor item however...

The Planters factory (Standard Brands) was the original Ford plant, after which they, Ford, moved to Danforth + Victoria Park.

Their present facility location is Oakville.

Regards,
J T

They re-clad their head office building here didn't they? I liked the 50s look better.

I just watched an episode of Structures last night that featured Christi Street. Good timing lol

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/l...hristie-street-featured-on-tv-show-structures

I'll have to catch this next time it airs. Thanks hogdust, for pointing it out.

December 11 addition.

Then. "March 28, 1949. Christie st looking N from S side Yarmouth rd.". Almost looks like a small town here.

s0372_ss0058_it1899.jpg

Now. November 2010.

DSC_0022.jpg

"Mr. Peanut", their advertising mascot, must have been made in the hundreds of thousands in various forms. A visitor to the St. Lawrence Sunday Antique market may often find examples. I'm not quite sure what to do with such a decor item however...

When I was a kid I was driven along Dupont quite often and a highlight of that route was a rather large Mr. Peanut outside that building.

Recently, I was driving up Chesswood, and I was surprised to see Mr. Peanut on a sign on a building up there - looks like they are now part of Johnvince Foods.

OMG, I saw Anna Neagle at the Royal Alex in a production of My Fair Lady about 25 years ago. So regal. I was with my Mother. I had no clue who Neagle was but my mother was excited.

In fact this is the Avenue Theatre - 331 Eglinton Avenue West, W of Avenue Road – (1937-1955) – 680 seats - originally a movie theatre, then became home to annual review Spring Thaw – demolished 1957 to become parking lot

One thing I regret about Planters: that the original multipanes were trashed on behalf of thermopane sometime in the 70s/80s, I presume (and I think under Planters auspices, to boot)

When I was a kid I was driven along Dupont quite often and a highlight of that route was a rather large Mr. Peanut outside that building.

Recently, I was driving up Chesswood, and I was surprised to see Mr. Peanut on a sign on a building up there - looks like they are now part of Johnvince Foods.

Peanuts or cashews are great with a Caesar cocktail. Just sayin. :)

In fact this is the Avenue Theatre - 331 Eglinton Avenue West, W of Avenue Road – (1937-1955) – 680 seats - originally a movie theatre, then became home to annual review Spring Thaw – demolished 1957 to become parking lot

http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?12610-Heritage-Toronto-Mondays/page2

One thing I regret about Planters: that the original multipanes were trashed on behalf of thermopane sometime in the 70s/80s, I presume (and I think under Planters auspices, to boot)

It detracts from the look for sure. Sometimes nowadays they coat glass with a gold or bronzy/smoky colour film which detracts even more.

December 12 addition.

Then. "March 28, 1949. Christie st looking N from S side Follis ave."

s0372_ss0058_it1898.jpg

Now. November 2010.

DSC_0016.jpg

Lefty-pinko grocery destination or not, the Fiesta Farms premises is one heck of a streetscape-deadener...

Back