News   May 17, 2024
 2.9K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Truly hideous - in the nicest Psycho house sort of way, of course.

I wonder if the architect's other works are extant? Would be cool to find out.

The owner.. 'Dr. Moorhouse', seems apt for your Psycho house - a character right out of central casting.:) He might have looked as gothick as his house.

March 6 addition:

The 'old' photo has been shown here on prior UT threads and elsewhere on the webz but I had my camera while in the neighbourhood. Perhaps people who haven't visited Toronto and look at this thread might like to see what the 'now' location looks like.

f1257_s1057_it2037.jpg

DSCF0402.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Toronto_Star_Building

She was only around for forty years. :(

Old Toronto Star Building...

Mustafa: What is the location of that comparison pic with the old Toronto Star Building and what is there now? Those lightpoles look new-is that a new style used in Toronto? For what period was the TS Building there? LI MIKE

Toronto Star was torn down for First Canadian Place in 1972. (As far as the lighting poles go, they're strictly downtown core-ish.)

Mustafa: What is the location of that comparison pic with the old Toronto Star Building and what is there now? Those lightpoles look new-is that a new style used in Toronto? For what period was the TS Building there? LI MIKE

HI LIMike,

adma has answered your question; I'll only add that the street location is King street, about 100 yards west of Bay street (a traffic light can be seen at the far right edge of the pic - that's Bay). The pic was taken looking NE. The Star Building was built in 1929.

This location is right downtown so you may have likely gone by the Star Building when you visited in the 60s. I used to gaze at it from the King streetcar to the 'Ex'. This route would come westwards from someplace, stop at Yonge where I boarded, and then at Bathurst a nice TTC man with an iron bar would fix the track so that the car would turn left - southbound - to the "Ex'.

I have a better question, how long do you think trees survive? I'm thinking that you'll be way off.

General Sherman is the name of a Giant Sequoia with a height of 275 feet (83.8 metres). The tree is located in the Giant Forest of Sequoia National Park in the United States, east of Visalia, California. The tree is believed to be between 2,300 and 2,700 years old

The before shot seems so alive while the after shot seems so dead. Would be nice to visit 1909-12 King St. Thanks Mustapha.

It's really not true ...

Black and white does wonders for photography,
So does the time of year / day it's taken.

In general when looking at pictures from the past or future (which is still a little bit hard to pull off ;) ) they're going to look enticing ... different from the now / current ... and hence appealing.

It's really not true ...

Black and white does wonders for photography,
So does the time of year / day it's taken.

In general when looking at pictures from the past or future (which is still a little bit hard to pull off ;) ) they're going to look enticing ... different from the now / current ... and hence appealing.

Naw, you could convert current photos to black and white and it still wouldn't match the King West of Old.

The loss of Toronto's grandest street is one of the most significant tragedies of the city's misguided urban renewal era.

i agree. the old king west was beautiful and mesmerizing, at least from what i can gather from historic literature and old photos. still, i do believe it will experience a rebirth.

the addition of trump tower to the neighbourhood, along with shangri-la, will be a welcome addition. the theater district has proven to be a vibrant, rejuvinated neighbourhood and TIFF's new home will only add in that capacity.

two things king and bay both need however: more trees and benches.

two things king and bay both need however: more trees and benches.

I agree; this got me thinking; the plaza areas in front of Commerce Court are a bit 'Soviet' aren't they? Seasonal [summer] coffee stands would be nice. Operated by students. Portable toilets open on Sundays. I see tourists walking amongst the black metal clad TD Royal Trust giants.

While musing about portable toilets and the TD centre my mind segues to the old theatre beneath the TD that I miss.

http://www.cdnarchitect.com/issues/...ory_id=160781105350&issue=07012006&PC=&RType=

androiduks picture of the street cars.. they have louvers on top to let out the heat. I'm not sure the air con of the modern cars is an improvement - you board sticky and hot and then get chilled whilst still sticky. The noises from the street on a streetcar journey in the past - wonderful - a real connection with the trip - and you could rest your elbow on the window sill. Does anyone remember the 'Keep Elbows In' brass plate on each window?

March 8 addition:

Queen and Lisgar looking NW.

fo12315Cf1231_it0587.jpg

DSCF0404.jpg

Back