News   May 17, 2024
 2.9K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I wonder where the most long lived 'downtown' parking lot is located? The southwest corner of Dundas and Bay, only recently condo developed; was a parking lot for about 40 years - and that's only from personal observation.
I would say the south east corner of Gerrard and Bay - that's been around for so long.

I would say the south east corner of Gerrard and Bay - that's been around for so long.

There must be an advantage to holding these parcels of vacant land for so long.. I wonder if anyone in the industry who posts here can shed light on this..

March 4 addition.

Dundas and George looking E.

ser71_s0071_it2021.jpg

DSCF0421.jpg

I too was intriqued. By the possibility of a 'dance'.

:)

That last before-and-after deserved a warning, Mustafa. So sad how this area has gone to seed. And the trees. Oh, the trees.

Not only that house, but several large and lovely trees. Though, perhaps they died naturally and had to come down. This general area has definitely seen better times, that's for sure.

you paved paradise, put up a parking lot...and a flashpoint billboard.

i love the way this thread makes me depressed. no i kid. the destruction of heritage buildings at least gives me hope that all those ugly buildings built in the 60's and 70's will also be destroyed.

Well, don't lay too much blame on Filmores: there's also all that other shelter junk up George St to contend with...

One concept behind keeping a parking lot is the concept of a "taxpayer", in essence using parking revenue to cover the taxes and whatnot while waiting for the land to appreciate in value.

I wouldn't flatter ourselves IMHO. :eek: The 'Then and Now' genre has been around for decades in print. The internet just makes it easy. There are Flickr albums dedicated to 'then and now'. It seems to have an inate and universal appeal.

Looks like Dundas was widened here, and that would have finished off a lot of trees.

Trees can survive for centuries, actually.

Don't some streets still have planters that had trees in them? Now used by civic minded business owners to plant posies or the opposite minded to deposit trash.

One concept behind keeping a parking lot is the concept of a "taxpayer", in essence using parking revenue to cover the taxes and whatnot while waiting for the land to appreciate in value.

There must be some very patient property owners, perhaps some even motivated by leaving a legacy to grandchildren..

March 5 addition.

Spadina and Dundas looking NE.

f1244_it0295.jpg

DSCF0418.jpg

I wonder who 'Dr. Moorhouse' was? A Google search reveals nothing. Quite the yard there, and coach house too.

My grandfather as a youngster worked in an abbatoir a couple of blocks north of here in 1918. Perhaps he passed this house..

Back