News   Jul 05, 2024
 3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.9K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 693     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

To add to thecharioteer's Toronto Star Building views, I'll add a couple more; taken from John Chuckman's wonderful online collection of Toronto postcards:

POSTCARD-TORONTO-TORONTOSTARBUILDIN.jpg

POSTCARD-TORONTO-KINGSTREET-LOOKING.jpg

July 16 addition.

Etobicoke!

Then. Thorncrest Plaza. Islington and Rathburn. "c.a. 1956" according to the Toronto Archives.

s1464_fl0001_id0016.jpg

Now. June 2010. This is a very nice plaza situated in a leafy neighbourhood with very expansive lot sizes and expansive lawns to match.

DSC_0235.jpg

Goldie, what's that on the left of the Then pic? Gas station? If it was, it could have been an even BIGGER mess back on March 31, 1926. :)

MainStatDanforth1926CTA.jpg

Yes, it appears to be a gas station, doesn't it?
By the way, one of those houses in the 1926 photo is still there - hidden behind the foliage at 292 main St.

292MainSt.jpg

Early 60s - West Mall classic cars...

July 17 addition.

Then. Rear of 385 The West Mall. I'm guessing the late 50s.

s1464_fl0005_id0019.jpg

Now. May 2010.

Mustapha: With the autos in the pic I say early 60s-I notice a '61(?)Chevy and a white Studebaker from that era parked there...

The only place to see these autos today is at a classic car show...as most of us know.

Some of this architecture from the 50s era does remind me of the development post-WW2 on Long Island and perhaps 50s established and developed suburbs elsewhere...and in some cases it has adapted OK to modern day updating...LI MIKE

DSC_0239.jpg

Mustapha: Note post placement above - this is something I have to watch closer when I reply in this manner...I also tried to quote that mid 50s pic containing the GRAND UNION supermarket but after not being able to get the "Reply With Quote" to work right at that point I decided to add this text noting that problem was quite frustrating...LI MIKE

Last edited:
Mustapha: Note post placement above - this is something I have to watch closer when I reply in this manner...I also tried to quote that mid 50s pic containing the GRAND UNION supermarket but after not being able to get the "Reply With Quote" to work right at that point I decided to add this text noting that problem was quite frustrating...LI MIKE

Thanks LIMIke for your comments and for more closely dating the West Mall picture.

I Googled Grand Union... interesting that in 1960 it was "one of the 10th largest grocery chains in the USA" http://www.fdrama.com/GrandUnion.html. More interesting that they would have a satellite store in Etobicoke. From my childhood I remember supermarkets such as Power, Steinbergs, and more recently; A&P and Dominion, but these were all Canadian.

A minor observation here but, the Foodland may still be using the original light fixtures from about 50 years ago... at least it looks that way in the two pictures. In any event, 50 years is a long time for a business to operate in one location.

July 18 addition. Humbertown Shopping Centre [270 The Kingsway] Then and Now:

s1464_fl0001_id0024.jpg

The Loblaws is still there...

DSC_0236.jpg

s1464_fl0004_id0008-pr.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

Mustapha: The older pictures of the shopping centers above - Humbertown - I will date the first one 50s judging by the visible automobiles and the close up picture near Kresge's and Loblaws early 60s...that blue car in the pic is a Chevrolet Corvair for example...and that parking lot is full of classic autos from that period...I remember finding Loblaws interesting because they are known in the Midwest in the 70s and 80s as "National" using the very same logo to represent a "L" or "N"
back then...and mentioning S.S. Kresge's - a classic 5/10 type store similar to Woolworth's back in the day...

Thoughts from LI MIKE

Also interesting to note btw/the two older pictures that some of the signage btw/Loblaws and Kresges had been replaced by backlit plastic in the latter photo.

Oh, re Grand Union: it wasn't just Etobicoke--there's also the matter of this current heritage landmark. (Though it's interesting that once Grand Union divested its Toronto interests c1960 or so, some stores went Steinberg, some went IGA, etc...)

Panorama of toronto islands 1899

Looking southwards from the Royal Canadian Yacht Club.
Now we need a member or visitor to RCYC to provide a current view.

Click on thumbnail for a larger image

TorontoIslandspanoramafromRCYC1899.jpg

Attachments

• Toronto Islands panorama from RCYC 1899.jpg
    Toronto Islands panorama from RCYC 1899.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
Mustapha: The older pictures of the shopping centers above - Humbertown - I will date the first one 50s judging by the visible automobiles and the close up picture near Kresge's and Loblaws early 60s...that blue car in the pic is a Chevrolet Corvair for example...and that parking lot is full of classic autos from that period...I remember finding Loblaws interesting because they are known in the Midwest in the 70s and 80s as "National" using the very same logo to represent a "L" or "N"
back then...and mentioning S.S. Kresge's - a classic 5/10 type store similar to Woolworth's back in the day...
Thoughts from LI MIKE

Let's see: Kresges became Kmart and then exited Canada altogether - they are now owned by Sears and operate south of the border only. Woolworths became Woolco and The Bargain Shop [there's one at 429 Parliament street]. Some of the Woolco Canadian stores were bought up by Walmart.

Oh, re Grand Union: it wasn't just Etobicoke--there's also the matter of this current heritage landmark. (Though it's interesting that once Grand Union divested its Toronto interests c1960 or so, some stores went Steinberg, some went IGA, etc...)

I had no idea, thank you adma.

Looking southwards from the Royal Canadian Yacht Club.
Now we need a member or visitor to RCYC to provide a current view.

Click on thumbnail for a larger image

TorontoIslandspanoramafromRCYC1899.jpg

That is a great panorama Goldie.

July 19 addition.

Toronto downtown scene from the Canada Life Building. "1932?" In both pictures I have circled in orange a building that still exists. Can anyone tell us what street it is on, who owns it, and its purpose.

I already know so I will be the judge of the answers. The prize is not monetary - indeed, it will be better; the admiration of your UT peers. :)

f1244_it10071.jpg

Now. May 2010. Please excuse part of the Canada Life Building on the right of the picture.

DSC_0044.jpg

This mysterious building is The Bell Telephone Building on the SE corner of Sheppard and Temperence. It's purpose is either a massive centre of switchboard operators (a la Lily Tomlin's Ernestine) unknown and off-limits to the public, or perhaps the last Masonic Temple remaining in Toronto.

This mysterious building is The Bell Telephone Building on the SE corner of Sheppard and Temperence. It's purpose is either a massive centre of switchboard operators (a la Lily Tomlin's Ernestine) unknown and off-limits to the public, or perhaps the last Masonic Temple remaining in Toronto.

f1244_it0138a.jpg

Before cell 'phones, (up to the late '80s) the Bell Mobile System with

live operators taking/directing the calls, was 'housed', in that building.

There was NO PRIVACY; just a common party line with 300 or so subscribers,

13 channels, + only 4 or 5 of those being local, all for only $35.00 / month

unlimited!

Regards,
J T

I'm wondering what the Bell building's history is; evidently from the older photo, upper storeys had already been added, and maybe another floor or two since which squared off the skyline (concurrent with, or separate from, the 1960s addition on Adelaide--maybe the most underappreciated building of its vintage within the downtown core)

Back