News   Jul 05, 2024
 3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.9K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 693     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

And just to the left of the older pic are the Alexandra Palace Apartments, purportedly Toronto's first apartment building.

1919:

alexandra.jpg

Last edited:
Now that's grand! Too bad we didn't build more in one area. We do have a good collection of midrise apartments but they're scattered.

Also, it seems hard to believe that Toronto's first apartment building only came in 1919.

Now that's grand! Too bad we didn't build more in one area. We do have a good collection of midrise apartments but they're scattered.

Also, it seems hard to believe that Toronto's first apartment building only came in 1919.

The Archives labels the picture I just posted as the Alexandra having being built in 1909. However, this picture below is dated 1907:

f1244_it7212.jpg

Scattered, yes. However quite a few unimproved ones can be found for a stroll along Parkdale area Queen street. And they are still "grand' even if many suffer from lack of maintenance.

July 13 addition.

Then. Bathurst street south from Dundas. May 22, 1935. Did I post this pair already? I don't think I have so here you go, today's addition. :)

s0071_it10874.jpg

Now. June 2010. In both pictures I have circled two of the largest buildings on the block. Both are still there but behind some pretty massive facades.

DSC_0207.jpg

The St. James Town blocks 1910:

1910-1.jpg

I wonder if the reasons for the street name changes on this map have been lost to time.

Berkeley was changed to Rose.
East was changed to Howard.

Who were Howard and Rose? Did Berkeley at one time run through Carlton all the way to Howard, or maybe Bloor?

St. James appears to have had a former designation too, but I can't make it out.

Last edited:
Howard after John Howard of High Park, perhaps? There was also an East Street down by the distilleries.

Berkeley ran all the way from Queen (even King?) to Bloor, originally.

Bleeker had another name in the 1800s, but I haven't time to check it out just at the moment.

July 15 addition.

We've talked about the Toronto Star building already... I finally got down to this part of Toronto to take a Now pic.

Then. King looking E from E of York street. 1925.

f1244_it1175.jpg

Later. Not quite the same view. The Toronto Star building has replaced the block of stores. Looks to be about 1970, based on the look of the cars in the scene.

f0124_fl0002_id0123.jpg

Now. June 2010. The Bank of Montreal's tower; First Canadian Place, was completed in 1975. It's out of frame to the left, but I wanted to stay faithful to the 1970 picture perspective. :)

DSC_0228.jpg

Last edited:
With the King shots: interesting to note the changed font scale in the T-D Centre Concourse sign...

Another shot from the archives of the land assembled for the Star Building:

f1244_it3012.jpg

View from the Royal York 1929:

f1231_it0106.jpg

And when King and Bay was primarily limestone:

f1244_it10094.jpg

Last but not least, two of the most beautiful pictures in the archives:

July 6, 1930:

july61936.jpg

November 6, 1936:

nov61936.jpg

Last edited: