News   Jul 18, 2024
 422     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 579     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 902     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Wasn't it called "the romans" (bathouse) or something?

I think if my memory serves me correctly, the Romans was located on the west side of Bay....that Coffee Time is on the east side. Also, I think it was located where Lumiere is being built or just north of there.

...I also noticed the Cities Service triangle sign on the extreme left-they became CITGO by the end of the 60's. Thoughts from LI MIKE

In terms of Toronto, Cities Service was absorbed by another chain (BP?) in the early 60s or so before it had a chance to become Citgo...

Cool pictures!

Welcome to Urban Toronto.:)

Speaking of noir, Yonge looking north at Adelaide, 1930's:

f1257_s1057_it0042.jpg

I like this noir stuff. Here is one of Dallas.

09600u1.jpg

From the website:

http://www.shorpy.com/

600 pages of photographic goodness. Be warned, you can waste a lot of time there.

I knew. That this would come back to haunt me. :)

November 20 addition.

NE corner of Bloor and Spadina.

BloorandSpadinaNE1920s.jpg

BloorandSpadinaNE1960s.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg
[/QUOTE]

this is one for the architects and designers among us to ponder. the 'Now' version is not particularly awful, and is in some ways not all that different from the original building. however, four major changes have been made:

1. the glass in the curtain wall is now broken up into a far more pronounced grid, and the drama of the large panes of glass is gone.
2. (most importantly, i think) the glass is now more or less flush with their frame, rather than being recessed.
3. they have moved the entrance further over, from the corner to the left middle of the facade.
4. they have recessed the entrance, and created a vestibule.

are all of these changes just change for changes sake? just the waxing and waning of trends in renovation and 'updating'? there doesn't seem to be any particular reason to do any of them. none of them are fatal, but they have definitely weakened the impact of the building...

Other then moving the door, it was probably just cheaper to use smaller panes of glass.

Sometimes one can read to much into the little details :p

Bay Street between Queen and Bloor was constructed by linking together Terauley, St. Vincent, Chapel and North Streets (which accounts for the present-day weaving back and forth). The Toronto Archives contain some interesting photos of these lost streets. Here are a few from the area around St. Joseph Street.

1910 Goad Map:

stjogoad-1.jpg

NW corner of St. Joseph and Chapel:

stjosephchapel.jpg

40 St. Joseph (Bay now runs through the property):

stjosephchapel3.jpg

Today:

baystjoe.jpg

One block south, west side of St. Vincent (Bay), north of Phipps:

102-108stvincent.jpg

Today:

bayphipps.jpg

A few more from the Bay/Wellesley area:

NW corner of Bay and Breadalbane (Catholic school):

breadalbane.jpg

Today (Breadalbane no longer goes west of Bay):

breadalbane-1.jpg

NE corner of Bay and Wellesley, 1934, after the widening and extension:

baywellesley.jpg

Today:

baywellesley-1.jpg

One block south, west side of St. Vincent (Bay), north of Phipps:

102-108stvincent.jpg

Today:

bayphipps.jpg
[/QUOTE]

charioteer. thanks for all these! i had no idea Bay was stitched together in that way...it partly explains why there isn't a single early 20th century building left standing on Bay St between Walton and Bloor--outside of the little house on the NW corner of Gerrard and the covered up Bistro 990 building south of St. Joseph...

It would appear that hundreds of homes were demolished between Queen and Davenport by the "Terauley Extension" (north of Bloor, the blocks on Yorkville and Cumberland used to extend continuously between Yonge and Bellair).

Here are the engineering maps showing the route:

s0372_ss0003_it0104.jpg

s0372_ss0003_it0105.jpg

s0372_ss0003_it0106.jpg

s0372_ss0003_it0107a.jpg

terauleywidening.jpg

s0372_ss0003_it0102.jpg

s0372_ss0003_it0103.jpg

Lets keep moving east along bloor...

DSC_0016.jpg

this is one for the architects and designers among us to ponder. the 'Now' version is not particularly awful, and is in some ways not all that different from the original building. however, four major changes have been made:

1. the glass in the curtain wall is now broken up into a far more pronounced grid, and the drama of the large panes of glass is gone.
2. (most importantly, i think) the glass is now more or less flush with their frame, rather than being recessed.
3. they have moved the entrance further over, from the corner to the left middle of the facade.
4. they have recessed the entrance, and created a vestibule.

are all of these changes just change for changes sake? just the waxing and waning of trends in renovation and 'updating'? there doesn't seem to be any particular reason to do any of them. none of them are fatal, but they have definitely weakened the impact of the building...[/QUOTE]

Let's keep moving east along Bloor...

4118372588_cf3a8b12c2_o.jpg

4118372594_c80e4865f9_o.jpg

4118372598_15123fe806_o.jpg

4118372602_defb17b468_o.jpg

Back