News   May 10, 2024
 148     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 241     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 687     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Well. that was a real FAIL!

A good facility in many respects, but its 1980 hulking exterior has charms only its mother could admire.

Though, its less awful than its familial relation to the immediate east (also part of the Rec. Centre complex); the Clara Benson building (1959)

1703113617097.png

The new portion houses the Aquatics complex and the Field House (weights, indoor Track n' Field)

The older portion has another pool, plus several gyms.

Gymnastics and badminton use this portion of the complex; and I wrote a few exams there too!

To get from the change rooms in the western building to Clara Benson to play badminton back in a day was to walk though a labyrinth of sorts connecting the two at a basement level.

I don't know if its still the same today, I would rather hope they've cleaned it up a a bit.

Last edited:
I would love to have been around in the heyday of the PCC cars. They exude an elegance and warmth you very rarely see in more modern transit vehicles.

I was there, LOL Maybe not their heyday, but close enough.

I can't say I miss'em.

They weren't air conditioned.

They weren't low floor, the entry stairs were actually surprisingly narrow and steep. (imagine accessing these with a stroller, or if elderly)........... a mobility aid was simply out of the question.

The seats were more comfy though.......back then they actually put padding in them!

I liked what Prague did, they got brand new, low floor tram cars built to the classic T3 design. Respecting the past while keeping things accessible.

1703117261039.jpeg
1703117283523.jpeg

Our Flexity cars, as far as modern LRVs, are pretty good looking though... we definitely could've purchased lot worse looking rolling stock. Many cities have.

I would love to have been around in the heyday of the PCC cars. They exude an elegance and warmth you very rarely see in more modern transit vehicles.
This is a problem with a lot of modern everything, very lacking in warmth. I also like the new Flexity cars, except they had to go with grey on the Eglinton line. Like c'mon, last thing Toronto needs is more grey. At least the TTC cars on existing routes are still red though.

Of course, you can be sure that by the time the current premises were built, retention of the wall was "mandated".
You say that as though you think this is not a good idea. I find it rather charming that the wall is probably about 100 years old. (Not sure if it was mandate, more likely it was cheaper just to leave it, through two rebuilds.

Wellesley Hospital - Wellesley & Sherbourne.

In 2023, note the same wall is still there!
Of course, you can be sure that by the time the current premises were built, retention of the wall was "mandated".
You say that as though you think this is not a good idea. I find it rather charming that the wall is probably about 100 years old. (Not sure if it was mandate, more likely it was cheaper just to leave it, through two rebuilds.
I'm not saying that. Just that it was likelier a "passive", internally motivated decision when the original house was demolished in the 60s; while by the time of the more recent rebuild, there was more regulatory "teeth" behind such retention...

Ha, what might become a Toronto version of the Wailing Wall..

Has anyone ever come across any decent quality old photos of the old McGuinness Distillery property that now makes up Lofts at Mystic Pointe? I can't find anything that isn't small and blurry.

Back