News   Jun 14, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 789     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Yeah, I was waiting for its presence to "register" among the young. (Dunno whether it was an actual Sniderman side-operation, or just a blatant Cloney Time affair.)

wow... only one building was physically changed... the rest are all renamed except one.

And the Zanzibar has a bullet proof business model that stands the test of time. :)

(Dunno whether it was an actual Sniderman side-operation

I remember reading the papers at the time of opening that is was indeed.

I understand that Sea Hi on Bathurst street and House of Chan on Eglinton are under ownership of 'Jewish' owners, altho I am at work and haven't the time to cite a source to confirm. Not that you need a Chinese to run a good Chinese restaurant...:)

The Mirvish's had a Chinese restaurant on King street for a few years too.

Does anyone remember 'Ginsberg and Wong' on McCaul street? You could get smoked meat and chow mein there.

September 12 addition.

Then: Circa 1966? [LIMike will peg down the date more definitely] :) Yonge looking NW from Albert. Albert no longer extends to Yonge, obviously..

fo0124_f0124_fl0002_id0152.jpg

Now: July 2009 The Starbucks is where the Arliss Shoes was.

DSCF1067.jpg

Last edited:
With a bit further investigation I think I have now found the original family who anonymously found their way on to the plaque on the house at King and Berkeley.

I walked past this morning, and the plaque does have names on it: J. McKormack and R. Oliver, Proprietors. The address is 302 King East, though the 1861 Directory lists J. Matthews and "Garibaldi House" at 294 King E. and R. K. Oliver, Druggist, at 296. The 1856 Directory says his first name is Richard.

53 Berkeley is the house immediately north of 302 King E.

I understand that Sea Hi on Bathurst street and House of Chan on Eglinton are under ownership of 'Jewish' owners, altho I am at work and haven't the time to cite a source to confirm. Not that you need a Chinese to run a good Chinese restaurant...:)

The Mirvish's had a Chinese restaurant on King street for a few years too.

Does anyone remember 'Ginsberg and Wong' on McCaul street? You could get smoked meat and chow mein there.

Ginsberg & Wong was actually not bad. There used to be an excellent Italian restaurant "Tuscany" on John Street which was owned and operated by a Chinese family.

Ginsberg & Wong was actually not bad. There used to be an excellent Italian restaurant "Tuscany" on John Street which was owned and operated by a Chinese family.

Did they move at some point to Baldwin St.? Because I used to patronize a "Tuscany" on Baldwin, run by a Chinese father and son (chef and maitre d'hotel/waiter/sommelier, respectively)? Sadly, they closed up shop a couple years ago after pops retired. Last I heard, the son (David) was consulting at a Japanese joint on King St. (opposite TIFF) to help rejuvenate the business.

Last edited:
Did they move at some point to Baldwin St.? Because I used to patronize a "Tuscany" on Baldwin, run by a Chinese father and son (chef and maitre d'hotel/waiter/sommelier, respectively)? Sadly, they closed up shop a couple years ago after pops retired. Last I heard, the son (David) was consulting at a Japanese joint on King St. (opposite TIFF) to help rejuvenate the business.

Yes

Yeah, I was waiting for its presence to "register" among the young. (Dunno whether it was an actual Sniderman side-operation, or just a blatant Cloney Time affair.)

Yes it was. (Sniderman)

Regards,
J T

At least one interrim biz. Noshery was gone by end of 70s or so.

Seem to remember it being a real "kid's birthday" kind of place, in those days before the Old Spaghetti Factory, Mr Greenjeans, etc...

Last edited:
Now, that humdrum Edwardian shaft's a survivor; such is the luck of the draw...

Really?:) I thought it somewhat handsome in a New York City kind of way.

September 15 addition.

Pearl Street looking W from York. c.1925

fo1244_f1244_it7269.jpg

Now. July 2009

DSCF1074.jpg

Back