News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.7K     2 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.5K     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 615     0 

Miller Eyes Parking Lot Tax

It's entertaining to see Abeja agreeing with OCAP on the use-it-or-lose-it law for abandoned housing!

The parking lot tax is a great idea, and I like my new councillor's ideas too.

For dropping fares to $1 to be profitable (that is, breakeven), you'd need to be able to double passenger loads, which I doubt is realistic, since the TTC is pretty much at capacity during rush hour.

That said, I'm in favour of free transit. It would really cut down the number of staff required by the TTC, cut down on the overhead of selling tokens, collecting tokens, processing money, etc. It would also make longer LRTs practical since you wouldn't need fare collectors at each entrance. It could be paid for out of road tolls. If people complain about subsidizing transit users, they can stop driving and start taking the bus.

It's entertaining to see Abeja agreeing with OCAP on the use-it-or-lose-it law for abandoned housing!
As I've tried to convey to Andrea, I'm open to ideas from all over the map, provided they're good for what I see as the greater benefit of the city and society.

BTW, this doesn't mean I want OCAP types living in otherwise abandoned buildings. This city, IMO, has more than its fair share of transient, subsidized and emergency housing. However, I'd rather see housing of any sort than an abandoned building.

This is not groundbreaking stuff from Miller. I believe Melbourne, Australia is doing the same thing.

I recall posting months ago the same proposal for a downtown parking tax, however unlike this plan, wouldn't just go into general reserves but towards public transit. Everyone on this forum was in agreement.

Funny, how Miller didn't make any splash about this during the election, was he afraid of the drivers who would pay this new charge? We need some real leadership in this city, Miller should stop eyeing, he should be taking strong positions and running with it.

Louroz

Vaughan, a councillor-elect, said he was stunned at a recent briefing on the City of Toronto Act, learning about all sorts of powers enshrined in the act that the city could use.

Adam Vaughn scares me :( . I'm sure he was rubbing his hands with glee at the many wonderful new ways there are to get money out of Toronto taxpayers under council's new powers.

One hopes that the Act contains powers that the City can use in order to coax money out of non-Torontonians for the benefit of Torontonians.

The idea of indexing taxes to gas consumption is excellent, and I highly support it.

I have issues with the lot tax tho. I live downtown, but work in the suburbs. My day starts well before the public transit system is operating, and even if it were running I wouldn't be able to use it because I need to be able to move equipment and materials. I'm the classic example of someone who lives in the city but actually does need to have a car. I drive a compact, fuel efficient vehicle, and I only use it to/from work (I run all of my errands on foot, and use transit for everything else). Now why should I be punished with a tax? Would it be better if I moved out to the burbs and started driving everywhere instead? There needs to be some kind of a rebate for downtown residents.

Funny, how Miller didn't make any splash about this during the election, was he afraid of the drivers who would pay this new charge? We need some real leadership in this city, Miller should stop eyeing, he should be taking strong positions and running with it.

I don't think that's unusual at all. Sometimes citizens need to take bad tasting medicine for their benefit. Miller knew he just needed to maintain his current popularity to win, why would he blow it by bringing up this issue?
We have to admit there are some really ignorant voters out there that would vote for a candidate that would cancel all taxes and give money to the poor (even though that would mean cutting services).
Not everybody understands the political system like you and I Louroz. Sometimes we have to tell them to close their eyes and feed them the bad tasting medicine.

I think that if the TTC was free, passenger loads would more than double. I found a metropass about 4 days before month's end back in possibly October, and in those 4 days, I literally used the TTC more than I had in the previous 4 months. Living on a subway line in the old city of Toronto, I actually felt that a metropass gave me more freedom than my car. I'd use the TTC more, however now that I have a car there's no way I'm spending anything extra on getting around.

We're taxed enough, why more
Not in the government's eyes. Plus, there are those on the left that feel the middle class and upper class should be taxed aggressively so that their net incomes match those of lower income earners. If I make $100K, I should be taxed down to $25 - $30K net income, which will stop me from buying the SUV and other luxuries...or so the logic goes.

If you don't want to pay the tax, don't drive your Ford Excessive downtown. Simple as that. Or move to Calgary.

If you don't want to pay the tax, don't drive your Ford Excessive downtown. Simple as that. Or move to Calgary.

That’s a bit harsh. Some people do own bigger vehicles like minivans because they need them for work or family reasons.

keep your snarky comments to yourself or stay out of this discussion.

That's a bit rich. I feel like being a little snarky sometimes, especially responding to "don't tax me any more, we're taxed enough" type of comments.

If you should drive what you want, where you want, I should be able to say whatever I want, within reason. It's a free country.

As long as it improves transit, I see no problem with a parking lot tax. And my comments were directed towards the SUV crowd, not necessarily the minivan crowd.

I also see the logic of charging for parking based upon the size of your car, but not based upon the emmissions. It might be a good idea if a Hummer, given its size and space needs, pays more than a motorcycle or a Smart car, or a subcompact to park.

Back