News   Jul 26, 2024
 784     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Miller Eyes Parking Lot Tax

While it may be true that Toronto's congestion problems are tame when compared to other cities, many people will believe otherwise. The perception that things are bad tends to drive agendas more quickly than one may want to admit to. At the same time, always hearing that congestion on transit is bad has a tendency to reduces tolerance levels for rush hour crowds.

Alch:

Quite true, however, the pattern of redevelopment in Toronto is not necessarily that "organic" - it is mediated by the presence of pre-existing infrastructure, which is planned. There is significant lag time for projects which must be accounted for - to wait till the situation becomes acute would limit options and greatly increase cost.

AoD

Alvin,

While you are right in an ideal case, I fear that Toronto's post-1970 history of central planning has been blindsided by embarking on projects for political gain rather than public need. Until we reach that critical point where congestion is unbearable along certain corridors, and too hard for even the most oblivious politicians to ignore, we will continue to have hare-brained projects like the subway to Vaughan over useful additions to the network. Cities like HK, Bangkok or Taipei had to reach that critical point in traffic congestion where walking anywhere is pretty much faster at all times of the day, to invest in rapid transit systems. But these are excellent, comprehensive rapid transit systems when they were built, serving people rather than cornfields. The same was true of the momentum behind the construction of subway systems in New York or Paris a century ago.

For this reason, I support hyperdevelopment of areas that are already beyond transit capacity, but where people might actually want to live. Further development of the King street west corridor, despite the fact that streetcars cannot keep pace with what is being built right now, is a good example. It might just spur the construction of something like a DRL once the congestion along that street has reached the tipping point.

I know it's like putting the cart before the horse, but sometimes that's the only way these things get done.

Alch:

Don't get me wrong, I am all for what you're proposing (considering the alternative) - I just don't particularly like the idea of letting things gets out of hand knowing that such a situation could have been prevented.

Incidentally, Toronto had quite a history of anticipating future needs (e.g. Bloor Viaduct) that sort of gotten lost over the years.

AoD

^ They did put in a middle subway platform at Yonge and Sheppard that isn't currently being used in anticipation of future use.

^ The nod to future use is all the more notable since there's two platforms at Yonge that aren't being used...

Back