News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 935     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

Midtown Toronto

Thanks, I took a look from the top (I'd come into this discussion later on off of a link).

I took a look at the map above showing development activity. I've spent some time on the subject, and can report the following summary of tower projects both the known and then projecting into the future 15 years.
5 – towers under construction
12 – starts and pending starts
25 – all currently known towers
36 – all known and anticipated
60 – the entire forecast
If you want the rationale behind the figures, you will find it in my recently completed projects forecast.

If you want my take on the YE Secondary Plan, an overview on how to go about improving it, take look at CONSOLIDATION STRATEGY

You can pop the PDFs out separately by using the 'FILE GRABBER' link above the embedded text.

Cheers

Terry

Last edited:
Thanks Terry, I did use your map to help.

Just throwing an idea out there, but with the towers and development being built at the 4 corners of Y-E and nearby, wouldn't this be an opportunity to create some sort of underground retail area, akin to the PATH? It'd be a small one in comparison to the PATH downtown of course but it would bring retail and much needed office space to the Y-E area and help serve all these brand new condos and their inhabitants.

Just throwing an idea out there, but with the towers and development being built at the 4 corners of Y-E and nearby, wouldn't this be an opportunity to create some sort of underground retail area, akin to the PATH? It'd be a small one in comparison to the PATH downtown of course but it would bring retail and much needed office space to the Y-E area and help serve all these brand new condos and their inhabitants.

wouldn't it make more sense and economical to add those retail above the ground? It is not like E/Y lacks land. Adding more retail on the nearby side streets is better than putting everyone underground.

I don't think any additional underground retail areas are needed, other than what's already there at YE centre & the subway tunnels. Also YE centre is expanding already, and there is already a lot of retail on Yonge north & south.

I agree with this. It's clear that this is Toronto second CBD now, and should be treated as such.

Hey WislaHD,

On the map in this thread, it says 155 Redpath is approved. Where did you get that information?

Also, we were talking earlier about extending the retail strip on Bayview from Soudan to Eglinton. What do you think about Eglinton from Mt Pleasant to Bayview? There are lots of restaurants/retail from Yonge to Mt Pleasant, but east of Mt Pleasant it quickly drops off. There is a lot of residential density, lots of mid-rise apartment buildings, a couple of bars, a couple of convenience stores and some houses turned into offices, but it doesn't feel very vibrant. Imagine if this strip was more vibrant and walkable as well as Bayview from Soudan to Eglinton. In a way it would connect Leaside to Yonge & Eglinton as a large, pedestrian friendly area.

I can really see the area (East Midtown) taking off once the Crosstown LRT is built, there's already a large apartment housing stock that will be even more well connected transit-wise.

There is a new townhouse development being marketed on the stretch of Eglinton east of Mt. Pleasant ... they directly front Eglinton ... which seems very silly to me, there is an LRT going here why not condos ... and the street is lined with rental/ condo buildings already.

Similar story at Eglinton and Avenue ... another townhouse development, though this time just north of Eglinton, but still, an ideal place for a midrise.

There is a new townhouse development being marketed on the stretch of Eglinton east of Mt. Pleasant ... they directly front Eglinton ... which seems very silly to me, there is an LRT going here why not condos ... and the street is lined with rental/ condo buildings already.

Similar story at Eglinton and Avenue ... another townhouse development, though this time just north of Eglinton, but still, an ideal place for a midrise.

I think I know which ones you're talking about, but I can't recall the name. You're right, mid-rise with retail on the ground floor seems like it would work very well. Oh well, there should be other opportunities for that.

Also, we were talking earlier about extending the retail strip on Bayview from Soudan to Eglinton. What do you think about Eglinton from Mt Pleasant to Bayview? There are lots of restaurants/retail from Yonge to Mt Pleasant, but east of Mt Pleasant it quickly drops off. There is a lot of residential density, lots of mid-rise apartment buildings, a couple of bars, a couple of convenience stores and some houses turned into offices, but it doesn't feel very vibrant. Imagine if this strip was more vibrant and walkable as well as Bayview from Soudan to Eglinton. In a way it would connect Leaside to Yonge & Eglinton as a large, pedestrian friendly area.

I can really see the area (East Midtown) taking off once the Crosstown LRT is built, there's already a large apartment housing stock that will be even more well connected transit-wise.

Umm, I've lived on that strip of Eglinton most of my life and well, the distances between Mt. Pleasant and Bayview is too long to make walking between the streets enjoyable (I actually walked the distance 4 times yesterday, it's a chore), Eglinton in this part rolls up and down on hills (which might be relevant to discussion), walking patterns of the residential neighborhoods south and north of Eglinton orientate towards Mt. Pleasant, Davisville and Bayview, and avoid Eglinton, there are no amenities or destinations on this part of the road and the bars and convenience stores there currently don't see much traffic. I've caught the guy at the convenience stores napping at his counter a few times. Density on this part of Eglinton is lower than other parts of Midtown as well, despite the abundance of residential buildings and pedestrian traffic is restricted to folks walking to the bus stop.

I don't see how this area can become a vibrant and walkable strip without heavy capital intensive investment. This ain't a matter of simply building condos with ground level retail like the Madison and expecting people to come. people have to have a reason to head to this part of Eglinton which they don't have at the moment. I don't see how retail here would work when the retail at the plaza on Bayview and Eglinton, and the retail on Mt. Pleasant have historically had businesses struggle and had a quick turnover due to lack of traffic. The LRT would change this trend I am sure and I would instead focus on the Bayview node of the LRT (and indeed the portion between Eglinton and Soudan on Bayview as previously discussed) and leave this strip between Mt. Pleasant and Bayview for added densification to add and serve density to the already existent and vibrant strips along Bayview, Mt. Pleasant and Yonge as this area is still very much walking distance. I'd want to see some of those houses and house-converted-offices still existent between buildings along Eglinton replaced with mid-rise residential buildings and townhouses development. There is already such projects happening. Last night I snapped photos of one for this discussion:

nM2lTky.jpg

5U0YqCx.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, there will soon be the biggest hole in the ground at YE and it seems absurd that the only plan is to back-fill. That void could be planned to provide many, many facilities. This is truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Toronto.

The Eglinton/Avenue project (at Burnaby) is a sad one. The local community association asked the North York Community Planning Department to consider greater density and better public services for this corner since the LRT station will be there. It all fell on deaf ears at the NYCPD and at the TTC Planning Department. What makes this doubly sad is that the local councillor is also Chair of the TTC! Sad but true.

Back