News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 686     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 311     0 

Mexico City

Thanks for posting your picture. This is a city I would like to check out one day. I seem to recall that fountain with the many steps up to it was used as an example in my university geology course. Apparently much of the city is subsiding and in the past they had to keep adding rows of stairs as the ground sank around the fountain.

^As far as I understand it it's something like this: Mexico city sits in a large, formerly swampy basin surrounded by mountains. Although they may or may not now pump water over the mountains from other places, previously their primary source of fresh water was underground aquifers in the basin. Essentially they mine water from below the city. Because they are drawing down the water faster than it can be replenished the surface is subject to differential settlement as previously water-filled soil dries out and settles. Most famously the signiture cathedral in the city is sinking.

Good Mexico City pics!

ST: Good photo tour of Mexico City-I found that MC has everything from Aztec ruins to modern skyscrapers.

How warm was it when you were there? I have heard that the climate is not too extreme because it sits more than a mile above sea level.

Pic#12-I always found that Empire State Building-shaped MC Tower interesting-does the word on top say "SEGUROS" on top of Latino Americana? How old is it? I remember 1960s MC pix showing this structure.

#47,48 and 50-I seem to recall that mural-covered building had something to do with the 1968 Summer Olympic Games-mentioned is the UNAM Campus-is it part of the College?

Good to see you had a good time in the America's Largest City-bigger then NYC even! LI MIKE

Back