News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.3K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 619     0 

Mexico City

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Note: There are many pics here. To stop them loading and just read the comments and replies click stop loading in your browser.

After a conference in Merida, I spent three days in Mexico City, the largest city in the Americas, one of the biggest in the world, and an interesting mix of Latin American/European monumentalism and really messy urbanism. In many ways, it beats Toronto's messy urbanism.

Views from my hotel room. Mind the dirty windows, but the hotel itself was lovely (thank you again, Priceline)

DF01.jpg

DF02.jpg

Walking toward the Zocalo.

DF03.jpg

DF04.jpg

The Fine Arts Palace. Noted for the Diego Rivera murals and art deco interior.

DF05.jpg

DF06.jpg

DF07.jpg

DF08.jpg

DF09.jpg

Diego's interesting Man, Controller of the Universe. This is what was intended for Rockefeller Center, but the portrait of Lenin and the Communist sympathies had the original painted over. This version has Rockefeller himself womanizing and drinking.

DF10.jpg

DF11.jpg

DF12.jpg

DF13.jpg

DF14.jpg

DF15.jpg

DF16.jpg

Views form the interesting (but not all that pretty) Torre LatinoAmerica.

DF17.jpg

DF18.jpg

DF19.jpg

DF20.jpg

DF21.jpg

DF22.jpg

DF23.jpg

DF24.jpg

DF25.jpg

DF26.jpg

The Zocalo. It was built on top of the Aztec City. Some of the ruins are now exposed, and glass windows down in front of the Metropolitan Cathedral show how the Spaniards built their city right on top.

DF27.jpg

DF28.jpg

DF29.jpg

DF30.jpg

DF31.jpg

DF32.jpg

DF33.jpg

DF34.jpg

Df36.jpg

DF37.jpg

DF38.jpg

DF39.jpg

DF40.jpg

DF41.jpg

I guess these guys are the equivalent of the Mounties in the red tunics.

DF42.jpg

DF43.jpg

DF44.jpg

Vendor kiosks on Reforma. It looks like Scotiabank has its name all over Mexico like a Toronto cultural event or movie theatre.

DF45.jpg

The Monument of the Revolution. It is built out of the abandoned construction of the rotunda of the legislative building in the 1920s.

DF46.jpg

DF47.jpg

UNAM is a modernist paradise. This was during Easter week - locals were just enjoying the grounds. It's also a UNESCO world heritage site (one of four in the Mexico Metropolitan area)

DF48.jpg

DF49.jpg

DF50.jpg

DF51.jpg

DF52.jpg

DF53.jpg

DF54.jpg

DF55.jpg

DF56.jpg

DF57.jpg

From UNAM, I took the Metrobus on Insurgentes Avenue. It's Curitba-style BRT, with pre-payment via smartcards and turnstiles, high-platform boarding, and median operation. All the Metrobus stations have icons like the Metro stations.

DF58.jpg

DF59.jpg

DF60.jpg

DF61.jpg

DF62.jpg

La Reforma buildings

DF83.jpg

DF63.jpg

DF64.jpg

DF65.jpg

DF66.jpg

DF67.jpg

DF68.jpg

DF69.jpg

DF70.jpg

DF71.jpg

DF72.jpg

Chapultepec Park and the amazing National Anthropology Museum. Entrance was very inexpensive (about $4.50 CDN) and Sundays are free at all government-owned museums and sites.

DF73.jpg

DF74.jpg

DF75.jpg

DF76.jpg

DF77.jpg

DF78.jpg

The park has a great zoo, and it's free. Visiting it was a way just to get a taste of the sheer numbers of humanity that lives here. And how many zoos have Pandas?

DF79.jpg

DF80.jpg

Some of our forum members?

DF82.jpg

One of the most interesting things about going to Teotihuacan is the Metro/bus ride north. The bus (only $34 pesos or $3.25 Canadian one way, plus a $2 Peso Metro ticket) starts from a gigantic bus terminal with its own Metro station, and then passes through the suburbs and shantytowns. Also, by not taking a tourist bus, you don't stop at tourist traps along the way.

Teo13.jpg

Teo14.jpg

These are the ruins of a city that once was as big as 250,000, and pre-dates the Aztec civilization. Very interesting, but perhaps a bit too commercialized (there were vendors everywhere). And very crowded, though I missed the worst of the crowds.

Teo01.jpg

Teo02.jpg

Teo03.jpg

Teo04.jpg

Teo05.jpg

Teo06.jpg

Teo07.jpg

Teo08.jpg

Teo09.jpg

Teo10.jpg

great tour as always.

i gotta say, we could use some of that awesome street furniture here in toronto.

Thanks for the complements.

Mexico City really a city worth seeing, and don't let a lack of knowledge of Spanish get in the way. It's the first time I've been somewhere where I could not fall back on English (even Quebec City) and it was fine. I felt about as safe as in most American cities - if you know what you're doing, and don't end up in the wrong areas, you're fine.

I was especially impressed by the messy urbanism they have here, the mix of monumentalism and great neighbourhoods, and grit and shanties, colonialist, art deco, modern, po-mo and neo-colonialist architecture.

My thanks to Archivist for his advice as well.

i find this kinda cool...

DF37.jpg

how old do you think those buildings are?

Excellent images, many thanks Sean!

I was especially impressed by the messy urbanism they have here, the mix of monumentalism and great neighbourhoods, and grit and shanties, colonialist, art deco, modern, po-mo and neo-colonialist architecture.

I just spent a few days in New Delhi, India, and the same statement could easily be said for that city as well.

Back to your pics, the modernist architecture at UNAM looks absolutely incredible, and I also really liked the following building... is that glass?

DF83.jpg

The Embassy Suites? Yep, just a mix of clear and frosted glass.

Shows that yes, it is possible to do interesting things with simple glass buildings by adding some variety to the glass and some non-right angles. I have seen few buildings in Toronto that have managed to do this, apart from perhaps the Courtyard Marriott in the Entertainment District.

I'll look forward to your New Delhi pics Dan.

My modem is on fire now, Sean, but it was worth it. Who knew that el DF looked like Italy. The most interesting observation for me is seeing Dodge Spirits and Chevy Silverado extend-a-cabs traveling down a Baroque street.

Is Mexico City made out of thousands of tight, autonomous neighbourhoods like London (or Toronto), or is it one immense spread of humanity like Los Angeles (or Toronto's outer-416)?

Back