News   Jul 16, 2024
 116     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 870     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 995     1 

Metropass holders to pay for parking?

Interesting -- does that mean that virtually noone was buying a Metropass for the parking?

just some food for thought...

While I still use the metropass, I plan on cancelling... however I cant do that until next month. Under the metropass discount plan, you're automatically locked in for 12months (it automatically renews for another 12months).

This basically means that if you signed up in August 2006, the onlytime you can cancel would be August 2007, Aug/08/, etc... So if you decide you watned to cancel in April 2009 (when free parking was gone), you'd be forced to keep paying until August 2009 unless you wanted to pay a penalty. (and if you decided to cancel in Sept2009, you'd be forced to keep paying until Aug2010)

That being said, -who know's how many people are under the MDP?

That would certainly seem like some logical dissonance. As one of the clear benefits of (TTC itself acknowledged it by advertising the fact) the MetroPass was the free parking. Perhaps there are a significant number of people locked into MDP's who are unwilling to pay the penalty for backing out, as you still need to pay for your fare somehow. Perhaps there is the added benefit of the tax credit. Regardless I ran the numbers when the free parking ended and purchasing tokens and paying for parking at roughly $4 a day comes out to $170 a month, while subscribing to the MDP and parking comes out to $180. I suppose the tax benefit covers that $10 difference. Also as always the more you ride the TTC the better the Metropass option becomes.

*** Edit ***
The Tax credit equals about $15 a month (in lowering taxes owed mind you) so it seems that the Metropass is still decent value vs tokens.

Last edited:
Vvveeerrryyy interesting...

TTC parking woes add to stressful commute

From link:

Angelina Salvaggio has been taking the subway from the TTC’s Wilson Station to her downtown office job for about 10 years.

But in the past few days her commute has gone from routine to unbearably stressful.

The 45-year-old mother can no longer find parking at any of the three lots at Wilson since the TTC’s 1,100 spaces at Yorkdale mall closed last Monday.

She was “stunned” by the scene at Wilson that greeted her there when the post-holiday commute kicked in on Jan. 6.

“People were honking, getting out of their cars, screaming at one another. Cars were parking anywhere and everywhere on the lot. It was a complete mess inside the lot and on Wilson Heights,” said Salvaggio, who takes the subway to avoid the cost of downtown parking and traffic.

On Tuesday, there was another nasty scene when a parking attendant was stationed at the Wilson gate to discourage illegal parking. When he closed the lot, all hell broke loose, according to Salvaggio.

“Cars were trying to back up as cars were trying to get in. As I was stuck in this mess, I… noticed that there were still at least 15 parking spots available,” she said.

People were yelling and demanding to know why the attendant had locked the car lot and put a “full” sign up when there were still a few vacancies. Eventually the attendant opened the gate and Salvaggio was lucky to snare the last spot. But the parking employee advised her to show up earlier in the future, something Salvaggio says she can’t do because she has to take her son to kindergarten.

The Yorkdale lot will be closed until fall 2015 as the shopping centre undergoes major renovations. Officials with the TTC and the Toronto Parking Authority (TPA), which operates the lots at transit stations, say they’re sorry but there’s not much they can do.

“The problem is that all these lots are first-come-first-served,” said Andy Koropeski, of the TPA. “With the closure at Yorkdale there’s a lot more demand for other locations.”

He’s optimistic the situation at Wilson will level off as people figure out where and when the various lots fill up.

The next closest lot, at Downsview, also fills up early most days.

TTC spokesman Brad Ross suggested that commuters who find they can’t park in their regular spot drive on to Finch, where there are still more than 300 vacant parking spaces most days.

“It’s cold comfort, I realize, but it’s left us in a difficult position when clearly we’ve lost space at Yorkdale temporarily,” he said.

“Making the choice to take transit is clearly one the TTC favours. Unfortunately parking space is at a premium in the city proper,” said Ross.

In 2016, when the Spadina subway extension to York Region opens, there will be more car lots at the new stations there.

Meantime, the TTC, which owns about 13,695 parking spaces in 28 lots, decided in December to keep several of its parking lots open even though they were declared surplus in 2009. That’s when demand for parking slipped to 62 per cent of the transit system’s available spots.

In the meantime, however, that demand has rebounded to 81 per cent on average, according to a December report approved by the TTC board.

The Wilson west and south parking lots will remain open now until the Spadina subway extension opens in 2016. Downsview and Islington will be reassessed at that time. The Warden North and Victoria Park lots will remain open at least until 2021, after the Eglinton LRT opens, in part to provide space for construction staging. Kennedy is also to retain at least 30 per cent of its parking capacity until the Eglinton line and the Scarborough subway line open.

The TTC is also looking at potentially expanding parking at some of its existing stations, but TTC chief operating officer Vince Rodo said that was still being studied.

GO Transit is the largest parking operator in the Toronto region and has been building decked parking facilities at many of its stations to try to meet the seemingly endless demand for parking at its stations.

Salvaggio laughed at the suggestion she park at Finch. She doesn’t believe she should have to leave her home 90 minutes early to take a 30-minute trip.

“Sure. Let me sit in traffic for half an hour travelling north so that it will take me another half hour to get back south to my original location. That will help my stress level in the mornings,” she scoffed.

And now they still pay for the parking, and it gets filled?

I'm very skeptical that once yorkdales lesser is up in 2020 that Yorkdale will renew q lease with the TTC. It seems Yorkdale especially in the future will need as many spaces as possible.

Isn't the downsview lot slotted to be sold and redeveloped into condos and offices?

Lawrence heights is slated to be torn down with the Lawrence heights revitalization. Btw I was once towed parking and riding at this lot.

And this is probably the main reason I supported TC and LRTs north of Eglinton. People need some better form of transit to convince them not to drive to the stations or be dropped off at the kiss and rides. LRTs on major roads like eglinton Lawrence finch Sheppard (basically anywhere its wide enough to fit) would encourage people to take transit for their entire trip.

Vvveeerrryyy interesting...

TTC parking woes add to stressful commute

From link:

And now they still pay for the parking, and it gets filled?

Depending on where they are coming from the other options are Kipling stn, or using the GO and parking at one of their stations, or taking transit from their home to the subway.

I'm very skeptical that once yorkdales lesser is up in 2020 that Yorkdale will renew q lease with the TTC. It seems Yorkdale especially in the future will need as many spaces as possible.

No worries. The Spadina line can add thousands of parking spaces in the hydro corridor at Steeles, and the farm fields behind Highway 407 station.

No worries. The Spadina line can add thousands of parking spaces in the hydro corridor at Steeles, and the farm fields behind Highway 407 station.

Like the lady being interview in the article says, no one wants to go 30 mins north (by cAr) just to go 30 mins south (by ttc). Your suggestion works for people around that lot though.

Like the lady being interview in the article says, no one wants to go 30 mins north (by cAr) just to go 30 mins south (by ttc). Your suggestion works for people around that lot though.

If they have to go NORTH to get a parking space within Toronto to get on the subway, then switch to the bus. Save on gasoline.

Isn't the downsview lot slotted to be sold and redeveloped into condos and offices?

Lawrence heights is slated to be torn down with the Lawrence heights revitalization. Btw I was once towed parking and riding at this lot.

And this is probably the main reason I supported TC and LRTs north of Eglinton. People need some better form of transit to convince them not to drive to the stations or be dropped off at the kiss and rides. LRTs on major roads like eglinton Lawrence finch Sheppard (basically anywhere its wide enough to fit) would encourage people to take transit for their entire trip.

Yeah.. that's what I was thinking, it's the job of bus & LRT lines to take people to the subway. I find the idea of driving to a parking lot at a subway station a bit strange.

Lawrence has good bus ridership, it could be an LRT route (maybe start with the west side of Yonge so that you don't have to deal with Bridle Path).

No, but few need to. New northern lots will collect people who do live north and currently drive south to Downsview/Wilson lots freeing up space for others who live locally to those stations.

That said, it seems like the Parking Authority should be looking at a price bump. They're supposed to be setting market rates and if the spaces are regularly full then it's time for a bump.

Last edited:
Saw this moron whining about the Wilson lot on Reddit. Which I have never seen so full you can't park there, albeit a fair distance away from the station entrances.
But as usual, the Star is just getting it's stories from /r/toronto on slow news days.

Yeah.. that's what I was thinking, it's the job of bus & LRT lines to take people to the subway. I find the idea of driving to a parking lot at a subway station a bit strange.

Lawrence has good bus ridership, it could be an LRT route (maybe start with the west side of Yonge so that you don't have to deal with Bridle Path).

I was thinking Yorks Bayview campus to the airport via Lawrence and Dixon. When the DRL is completed in the east (hopefully to at least lawrence) then start the lawrence east LRT from there.

Wilson/yorkmills also seems like a no brainer to me.

Anyways the article makes it sound like parking is the problem when the root problem is that there are a good amount of torontonians who will ride the subway but won't be caught dead on a bus. LRT theoretically could help these people use transit for their whole trip versus just a part of it.

Last edited:
I was thinking Yorks Bayview campus to the airport via Lawrence and Dixon. When the DRL is completed in the east (hopefully to at least lawrence) then start the lawrence east LRT from there.

Wilson/yorkmills also seems like a no brainer to me.

Anyways the article makes it sound like parking is the problem when the root problem is that there are a good amount of torontonians who will ride the subway but won't be caught dead on a bus. LRT theoretically could help these people use transit for their whole trip versus just a part of it.

That route makes sense, however there wouldn't be room for a surface ROW in many parts of Lawrence without reducing lanes, right? Would you have it go underground?

That route makes sense, however there wouldn't be room for a surface ROW in many parts of Lawrence without reducing lanes, right? Would you have it go underground?

I believe between dufferin and Bayview (it could always end at Yonge like you suggest) and from jane to dixon.

Back