News   Jul 16, 2024
 117     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 873     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 997     1 

Metropass holders to pay for parking?

Such a thing does not exist.

Sure it does, I remember I saw cheap multi-level parking once...it was in that same place where I was extremely handsome and 25 year old models were chasing me all around the cheap multi-level parking lots to get me to date them....oh, yeah, that place was called "dreamland".

If Hurricane Gustove sends the price of gasoline up over $1.50 to maybe $1.79, people may either continue to use the parking lot or switch to public transit in their neck of the woods. So the free lots will be a bonus for the time being.

Well, you either want to make it easy for people to leave their cars in Vaughan or you don't.

Doesn't matter what you want.

Building a parking space in a multi-level garage costs $X to build. They can choose to subsidize it and raise the general fare OR raise taxes, or they can charge the full amount for using the parking -- either way, it still costs $X to build.

$X is on the order of $35000 to $50000 at this time per parking space and even higher underground. Condo units typically subsidize parking in the building, since parking is mandatory and very few would pay the actual cost.

$X is not cheap.

All of the parking lots impacted for all TTC stations only hold about 10 trains worth of passengers.

That is about 5 minutes worth of service during the entire rush hour.

The typical annual ridership increase is 3% per year -- far more than is impacted by this parking change.

1 year from today I predict increased ridership levels and a slightly better budget.

Seems like the decision wasn't that difficult for the TTC.

I look forward to seeing TTC's announcement in the coming months... "OOO no, transit ridership have dropped significantly and we don't know what has gone wrong" ... coodos to the TTC smart management team to think that ridership is not dependant on 905 users.

How else do you think people in York, Durham, Peel, Halton get to work downtown? thankfully I don't work downtown anymore, or else I would be one of many who would be part of the 'added' traffic to drive to work to avoid the increased TTC parking cost

I am sure one can enjoy craping all the 905 TTC users on GO Transit

The results are in from the recent Chief General Manager's Report:

"Ridership was slightly above budget in April primarily due to higher than forecast Metropass sales. The higher than expected sales were driven by two factors. A small decline in Metropass sales had been forecast to accompany the elimination of free parking at commuter parking lots. Sales did not decline as rather than leaving the TTC, patrons found a different way of getting to the stations whether that was walking, taking the bus or getting dropped off."

http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co.../July_9_2009/Reports/CGM_Report_Pds_4_and.pdf

It would appear that the additional parking fees had zero impact on ridership. Anybody care to dig around their operations budget reports to find out what the total revenue from parking lot fees increased by?

A small decline in Metropass sales had been forecast to accompany the elimination of free parking at commuter parking lots. Sales did not decline as rather than leaving the TTC, patrons found a different way of getting to the stations whether that was walking, taking the bus or getting dropped off."

Interesting -- does that mean that virtually noone was buying a Metropass for the parking?

TTC finally open up the north-east parking lot at Victoria Park Station and it empty other than the construction workers vehicles. They have to pay to park and work there.

Have seen no work and expect not to see any work on building those new lots at Kipling since there is about 500+ empty spaces there now on the south side.

Interesting -- does that mean that virtually noone was buying a Metropass for the parking?

Perhaps some were but certainly not a large number.

All you can read from it is that most if not all of the metropass purchasers continued to find the value of the pass acceptable for the price paid, even with the free parking perk removed.

just some food for thought...

While I still use the metropass, I plan on cancelling... however I cant do that until next month. Under the metropass discount plan, you're automatically locked in for 12months (it automatically renews for another 12months).

This basically means that if you signed up in August 2006, the onlytime you can cancel would be August 2007, Aug/08/, etc... So if you decide you watned to cancel in April 2009 (when free parking was gone), you'd be forced to keep paying until August 2009 unless you wanted to pay a penalty. (and if you decided to cancel in Sept2009, you'd be forced to keep paying until Aug2010)

That being said, -who know's how many people are under the MDP?

just some food for thought...

While I still use the metropass, I plan on cancelling... however I cant do that until next month. Under the metropass discount plan, you're automatically locked in for 12months (it automatically renews for another 12months).

You can cancel at any time but need to pay a penalty roughly equal to the discount over the 12 month period (was $70 or so when I did this years ago).

Back